1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Affordable TMS Therapy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by HongKongLouie, May 1, 2018.

1. HongKongLouie

HongKongLouie New Member

Hi All,

I've been working on TMS recovery for about 2 months now and while I'm getting better and better I'm still not quite to a point where i can perform my job pain free and work out. I decided that instead of doing this alone I should seek out a doctor, so I saw Dr. Seagal today and she said I was a clear cut case for TMS after looking over everything. She liked all the things I'm doing in my recovery (reading unlearn your pain, daily affirmations, meditation, and baby steps towards normalcy), but she really recommended I get psychotherapy as my next step.

The only problem with that is that none of these therapists seem to be covered by insurance. I was given a referral to Dr. Frank in my area and 2 doctors at the Rusk institute who may be able to do Skype therapy. I really want to fully pursue everything I can, but it would be difficult to do multiple sessions of therapy that were completely out of pocket. Does anyone have any suggestions at affordable TMS therapies? I'm in the DC area by the way and I'd prefer in person therapy but could be open to Skype.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi HongKongLouie,

Not much help here except to add that long distance therapy is usually not covered by insurance. I think Alan Gordon's group offers some more affordable rates, with interns, but not covered by insurance?

One approach is to find a good therapist, through your insurance, locally whom you connect with. Part of the interview process with them as you're shopping is to ask if they are willing to support your process, support you by educating themselves on the TMS approach, or delving into issues which you're noticing re your TMS. You might mention specific modes which you've heard work for TMS, using Dr. Sarno's work, or ask Dr. Seagal what approaches to look for. One therapist on hearing this might recommend a colleague who might do this better. I know several therapist whom TMS is not their specialty, but know through experience (more than by name) clients who suffer from this. It is common.

Good luck in this!

Andy B

HongKongLouie likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hi HongKongLouie,

I’ll echo what Andy said above, I don’t know of any TMS therapists that take insurance in network, though most will help you with the paperwork for out of network stuff. I worked with a TMS therapist here in NYC for 14 months and she gave me a monthly invoice that I submitted to my insurance and though they only reimbursed a small amount, it was better than nada!

That said, and I don’t mean to step on TMS therapy, but my experience was that it did turn into “regular” psychotherapy, but with the underlying understanding that pain was TMS, and not physical. In other words, we rarely spoke directly about pain, or symptoms, but really just got into therapy-type stuff. It was great and I’m glad I did it, but like Andy said above, if you can find a solid therapist that is open minded, especially if they’re familiar with Freud’s work and the idea of conversion disorders, then you could likely get similar results. Further, a good therapist should take the time to at least get a working understanding of TMS if the patient is serious about that approach in their treatment.

But in the end you must follow what your heart tells you. For me it was helpful to simply know that my therapist was a “TMS therapist”. It was expensive, I had to pay out of pocket at NYC prices, but if it’s that important, we find the means to do it.

Good luck!

HongKongLouie likes this.