1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Affect of food

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by kimaya, Aug 20, 2018.

1. kimaya

kimaya Peer Supporter

I haven’t posted here recently but one thing which iam finding my mind resisting is the idea of raw foods and green juices
    During my extensive research i found alot of people whi said they healed their ic or fibro with raw foods etc
    Specialy with ic symptoms, iam not diagnosed with it though
    It makes me feel am i not doing enough like maybe a raw food diet would cure me bla bla
    Iam doing the sep but these vicious fear cycle is hardest thing to break
    How some people heal fibro with diet some with tms ?

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Eating as healthily as possible is always a good idea. After all, the mind-body connection includes the physical! But you don't have to be perfect all day long - obsession and guilt over one's diet is never a good thing.

That said, for the vast majority of us on these forums, working on the management of our emotions and getting back to living without fear or obsession is the true answer. This is far more powerful than anything else we can do.

You'll see some people who "healed" after drastically changing their diets, only to feel sick again months or years later. Sometimes it's a placebo. Sometimes it's a temporary fix that relaxes the body for a little bit. But unless you have a vitamin deficiency or a true food sensitivity (and by "true sensitivity" I mean a sensitivity that is not caused by emotions, which certainly does happen), you don't need to get wrapped up in this and view it as your key to healing. It's not.

It's funny. In some of my posts from earlier this year, I wrote about how eating healthily "cured" some chronic withdrawal symptoms I was experiencing. I had read online that it would help, so of course it did. But the symptoms returned shortly after. An emotional process was making them stick around for me, and I needed to address that.

Sometimes I recommend natural supplements to people to calm their bodies down while they work on emotions, but nothing is more important than a life filled with love and happiness, and eliminating fear and obsession.

Long story short: people aren't truly being cured of fibro through their dietary choices. It's just more biological thinking. Focus on your emotions. Also, feeling guilty over eating a cupcake once a week because you think it'll aggravate fibro symptoms more is not good for anyone. Incorporate healthy food choices (along with some snacks to keep you sane) into your daily regimen because the body needs fuel, not because you think it's a cure for fibro.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Good wisdom above from Caulfield. There's a lot spoken about these days in regards to healing various conditions with diet, but most of it is placebo cure, with the exception of specific conditions like Celiac (true gluten allergy). In my experience, our TMS personalities also make some of us (myself included) susceptible to restrictive dieting or eating practices, which is an issue i've spoken about somewhat on these forums. This affected me as much or more than the TMS pain itself, and in the past 2 years I have been healing from it as well. Obsession over what we eat can be detrimental to healing. IC and fibro are TMS equivalents and must be treated with TMS methods. Raw foods and green juice are perfectly fine, but don't be fooled into thinking they are superior to other foods. (More than likely, the main effect of a raw food diet will be that you will spend more time in the bathroom!)

These days, I practice intuitive eating, incorporating a wide variety of foods into my diet, paying attention to how foods make me feel and following my hunger and fullness. It sounds general but I think that practice can work well for a lot of people; it is how we eat as babies and how we are naturally made to eat. It has been very healing for me.

You mention the fear cycle being hard to break, this is very true. Changing your diet unfortunately isn't the answer to your TMS; know this is all a process and you are working through it. Alan Gordon's program is also very good at addressing the fear factor.