1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Advice please

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Archie, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi, I am continuing with the SEP and have had a significant decrease in some of my symptoms :). I have been out of full-time work for a few months, and yesterday had a couple of meetings with new employers who I will start work with in a few weeks. It was all very positive and hopeful , but when I came home I started feeling very "hyper" and that night the symptoms returned. Initially I had no idea why, but continued to try to "think psychologically" and eventually realised I am very anxious about the associated workload and that getting back into work will be too much for me to cope with. Intellectually I can look at it and know that after a steep learning curve , it will all settle down ok. However, what do I do with these emotions such that my symptoms recede again? ... I am worried and anxious, I have identified that, so now what? How do I get my brain to stop the symptoms? I have NO doubt it is TMS, but still haven't got a complete handle on how to manage things when symptoms flare up.
    Any suggestions will be very welcome. Thankyou

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Archie,

Good job on recognizing your feelings associated with the potential job and realizing your pain correlates with them! I'm also dealing with a symptom flare up so I hear you and know your pain. I find that practicing unconditional acceptance of the feelings and pain alike is the way through all of this. Journaling can help, and I really like meditating to work on self-acceptance of all I am feeling emotionally and physically. It's a time to simply notice what comes up in my mind-body and not judge it. Alan Gordon's program is very good at dealing with these kinds of issues too, it's worth a look.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Archie

Archie Peer Supporter

Hi, Thankyou, that does sound like good advice as I feel a bit stuck with some of the nuts and bolts of the "how to" aspect of this work - it seems that for me, merely identifying the emotions has not been enough to get the symptoms to go away, nor some fairly vigorous "brain talk", so the self-acceptance meditation and a non-judgemental approach is perhaps also what is needed. Something more gentle. Thankyou again for your reply. Archie :)