1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

advice please ...... go to doctor or not .

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by nelle, Oct 18, 2016.

1. nelle

nelle Peer Supporter

I did the first two weeks of the course very disciplined every day , on the third week i hit an extremely busy period of work and did week three very bitty over a three and a half week period. I was then away on holiday for two weeks . Im considering doing week three again but with more attention .

Do you think thats ok , to redo a week ?.

Also for the past month ive been getting a lot of headaches on top of my horrid head sensations and pressures . Ive considered it tms , my partner is insisting i go to the doctor as ive never had head ach problems before.

I feel a bit a noid ,if this is tms its almost like my body has stepped up a gear and taken inspiration and given me head aches on top .

Im concerned that going down the doctor route will just reinforce the tms symptom .

any advice ?

Thanks Nelle

2. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Peer Supporter

If you have already been checked out and had the tests which I believe you did then it is safe to assume the TMS is trying very hard to get your attention. Picture a child who is throwing a tantrum for attention. If you ignore them, it will eventually stop but first the tantrums escalate as the child tries even harder. So I suggest you try ignoring it as much as possible and stay as active as possible. Then also, do the SEP some more. Things will eventually get better as you retrain your brain much the way you would a child.

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Nelle,

If it's of any consolation I'm enduring head pains and some weird almost migraine-like sensations at the moment. It's just tension roaming. Last night was so bad I put myself to bed early and slept for twelve hours. Like your boyfriend, my partner is a bit worried but I'm not. I know it's tms doing its funky thing.

After a long break I'm back to swimming a mile a couple of times a week and it's put the pain on the run. I know it'll calm again. Meantime I'm carrying on regardless. I've been through a stressful period and my pain tends to flare after, when things are returning to an even keel. Steve O talks about that in the GPD.

As for repeating a week, it's ok to make the healing your own. Repeat anything that you feel will benefit you.

As for visiting the doctor, if you feel the reassurance will help then go. If anything seeing your doctor may clarify that this is tms rather than reinforcing the symptom. Treat it all lightly and be nice to yourself.

4. Jodi

Jodi Newcomer

Interesting you say this. Last night I was suffering with my debilitating back pain as I do every waking moment of everyday but I put myself to bed reading one of Dr. Sarno's books and woke up with pain no longer at a level 10 but at a 4 with constant spasms gone but what I did notice instead was a tension headache that I've never experienced before. I've been telling myself all day that I'm onto this game of the tension just running around. I know what it is but even still I'll take this any day over the ususal back pain. Hopefully it just means I've got this TMS on the run!

Lady Phoenix likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Jodi, once the pain starts to move it's a clear sign that it is tms and that you've got its number. Another indicator is when pain starts to wax and wane. (A pigeon just flew into the window and brained itself. Poor stupid thing).

Welcome to the forum my dear.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Nelle. I agree with the others that your pains are from TMS. They move around or become more intense when the subconscious wants you to discover the emotions causing the pains. It takes perseverance and belief in TMS.

Try not to think about the pain. I know that isn't easy, but the more we focus on it, the more it seems to be there.