1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

advice from success stories - symtpoms getting worse

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by chepolina, Jan 18, 2013.

1. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Eric,
    Thanks so much for your input. The encouragement is ever so helpful.
    Today, I had pain but I still went about all my life and ignoring the pain.
    I have to journal daily that is my next step.

When you were in a lot of pain, can you give me an example of what you did?
    Let say the pain like mine is in the sciatica and you had trouble walking sometimes.
    How would you handle it?
    So thankful for you guys.
    G.R.

Walt,
    Thank you so much to encourage me to journal. Please, continue to encourage me.
    Thanks for responding. It was so helpful.
    G.R.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

thanks GR- remember we have ways to ignore the pain-
    if your doing it the way i told chepolina in this thread to do it then your doing it right-
    Go back and read to make sure your in line with the protocol.
    If you havent journaled yet-that needs to be your first step-
    but thats ok if you havent- you can start now (2) second/just start facing-if you havent done it thru awareness yet.
    do it with awareness and journaling to get the full effect, and mindfullness.
    (2)- second-we are to only do physical activity after the the pain subsides and
    because the journaling helps release negativlty charged emotions that makes you hurt and sick-
    then thats why i say journaling-
    facing-awareness-and mindfulness has to come first with no fear of the abnorality-
    severe or less-
    ignoring the pain is a powerful concept and knowing when the pain has subsided is the other
    half of the coin that makes itself a powerful concept too. read post to chepolina and youll see how i worked through the pain
    its an universal technique -think on this.
    now thats encouragement and direction-you do this-you get the best
    god-bless

3. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

4. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

5. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Eric,
    What do you mean by facing awareness and mindfulness?
    I am just starting to journal. I think I am hesitate to do it because of concern if I write negative
    emotions is the pain going to increase. In your healing, did you did a lot of journaling and
    what was the result.

I am surely going to be consistent with the journaling. I have a notebook and I am going to just
    write whatever comes up.

You said for #2 just start facing - if you haven't done it through awareness yet. Please, forgive me
    but do you mean awareness of your emotions. Can you help me understand?

I hope I can find what you said to chepolina.
    Thanks!!!! It is so good to know I can ask you questions when needed. It is a great support
    G.R.

6. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Eric,
    Thanks, I just read what you wrote to chepolina. It once again was helpful.

Let me ask you this, if the pain starts about a few hours before you go to bed.
    How do you deal with that when you want sleep so you could function at work the
    next day? Any suggestions?
    Abundant Blessings, G.R>

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

ok how long do ya got under ya belt with reading sarnos books
    dont study the other words yet-just journal and do the structural plan here
    my replys to chepolina are in this thread ok-
    when you journal about bad emotions-its good to feel those feelings
    you dont want to feel----- thats why we journal about ours angers and anxietys
    it will help you to decrease the pain .youll be facing when you journal-
    awareness is when you pay attention to what the issues are and accepting is when you decide to look at your repressions in a better light- yes awareness of your emotions and everything going on around you too that might be causing stress.we have to de-stress ourselves thru awareness and acceptance

8. Eric "Herbie" Watson

well see thats conditioning and you have to hold in your mind for a while that your ok now-youll be fine
    and as you do -in time-the conditioning will change then you will get better

9. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Eric,
    I did start journaling this afternoon. It was wonderful. I had a lot to write. Most of it was about
    being disappointed with people. So, what do you think of this. After, I wrote about the person I was disappointed
    with then I took a deep breath in. The deep breathe in was for the forgiveness for that person who disappointed
    me and as I breathed in I breathed in love and understanding toward the person. Then as I breathed
    out I released the disappointment, the anger, the hurt.... I felt toward that person. It was great. Then, I tried to see them as you
    suggested in a better light (or I reframed my thoughts about them). I would say well this person has
    such a full plate of their own so I cannot expect her to be so tuned in to my TMS but we have so many
    other things in common. I am going to accept her for who she is now. I refuse to judge her or complain
    about her in my heart; I am going to just accept her. What do you think of that? Is this what you mean by
    looking at your repressions in a better light and being accepting? Also, do you mean when we see the
    person just know some hurt might come up but just be aware this because they are not living up to your
    expectations and then totally let go of the hurt. Is this it?

I have read Dr. Sarno's books but I am not reading them over and over. I read them several months ago.
    Would you suggest me to keep reading them? Also, I think what you suggested to go over Dr. Sarno's 10 reminders.
    I am going to start doing that daily.

I did read in December, Fred Amir's book Rapid Recovery of Back and Neck Pain. That really helped me.
    I so connected with it. He does not talk about journaling but more about getting mad at your subconscious
    and taking charge using a lot of visualization. Since I used the techniques, I can walk better and I do
    not have to sit every 5 Minutes while I am walking. Sitting every 5 Minutes because of the fear of pain has totally left now.Thank the Lord!!!!!!! I saw it was a conditioned response and I set little goals every day. And now I can walk
    without sitting every minute. I still need improvement in my walking but it is much better even with the pain.

From reading Amir's book, I felt significantly better for about three weeks. Then, about 10 days ago
    the pain in the sciatica down my leg came back. Then, I started limping. The limping happened for about
    for about 10 days that is pretty much gone. So, that is a good sign right. I got that subconscious on the
    run. What do you think?

I feel just being able to write on the TMS wiki is just so healing in itself. To know that there are people
    who care and can really help is a huge blessing to me. Often, my family and friends think I am nuts
    with this TMS. But it has totally been a life saver though.

Anything you or anyone else would comment on, I would highly appreciate it.
    Enjoy and Much Blessings to You, G.R.

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

(Quote)- GR- I did start journaling this afternoon. It was wonderful. I had a lot to write. Most of it was about
    being disappointed with people. So, what do you think of this. After, I wrote about the person I was disappointed
    with then I took a deep breath in. The deep breathe in was for the forgiveness for that person who disappointed
    me and as I breathed in I breathed in love and understanding toward the person. Then as I breathed
    out I released the disappointment, the anger, the hurt.... I felt toward that person. It was great. Then, I tried to see them as you
    suggested in a better light (or I reframed my thoughts about them). I would say well this person has
    such a full plate of their own so I cannot expect her to be so tuned in to my TMS but we have so many
    other things in common. I am going to accept her for who she is now. I refuse to judge her or complain
    about her in my heart; I am going to just accept her. What do you think of that? Is this what you mean by
    looking at your repressions in a better light and being accepting? Also, do you mean when we see the
    person just know some hurt might come up but just be aware this because they are not living up to your
    expectations and then totally let go of the hurt. Is this it?

Eric)- yes-very well-keep it simple,remeber if any questions arise let me know
    and yes read the 12 reminders everyday till you know them by heart
    and yes re-read sarnos book healing back pain-see GR sarnos books are psychological in nature-thats why we have to read
    and then re-read and read again
    it sometimes takes many reads before you say ok i got what that means-
    sarno himself told all his patients to read his book everyday for 2 to three weeks before calling him back
    but see the most important part he told them was to do the work outlined in his book like journaling
    to face the repressions and memorizing the daily reminders
    you can take shortcuts as to ask what a certain sentence phrase or clause means
    ill help you understand quickly so we dont get any mis-understandings ok-im here for ya
    but you gotta be there for me and do what sarno says too ok-this is how we heal
    we do as the sarnos teachings tells us-and what we dont get ,we go to sarno deciples and ask
    but when i asked about the other concepts like awareness and acceptance you said you hadnt got that far when reall looking
    at the above paragrah full of knowledge -then you truly have-mindfulness is a deeper form of awareness but dont go there yet unless you listen to Dr.zafirides
    podcast about mindfulness-it takes about ten minutes and it will help you alot-its on the Healthy mind broadcast-
    to close your doing well-do as you said above and keep practicing forgivness -your doing great....

GR)-
    I did read in December, Fred Amir's book Rapid Recovery of Back and Neck Pain. That really helped me.
    I so connected with it. He does not talk about journaling but more about getting mad at your subconscious
    and taking charge using a lot of visualization. Since I used the techniques, I can walk better and I do
    not have to sit every 5 Minutes while I am walking. Sitting every 5 Minutes because of the fear of pain has totally left now.Thank the Lord!!!!!!! I saw it was a conditioned response and I set little goals every day. And now I can walk
    without sitting every minute. I still need improvement in my walking but it is much better even with the pain.

Eric)- Dr.Fred Amirs book is Great ,and you said it has helped-about ten days ago you had a setback-
    this is normal during recovery-just know to not fear that its not going to leave and stay course in due time you will be a lot better than you were before
    i dont really know of a substitue for sarnos style-it would be great to read sarno and amir together and do there work as one unit-you should see it will fit nicly
    setbacks occur to us all-stay course and you will heal.imaging and visualizations are awesome tools always use them and never ever stop using them.
    remeber you said the fear of pain has left-sarno said the fear of the pain can keep it there as bad as the repressions can so watch both...

GR)- From reading Amir's book, I felt significantly better for about three weeks. Then, about 10 days ago
    the pain in the sciatica down my leg came back. Then, I started limping. The limping happened for about
    for about 10 days that is pretty much gone. So, that is a good sign right. I got that subconscious on the
    run. What do you think?

Eric)- so now you know it was just here for a minute-its on the run now-
    thats great,you did it-stay course -the more you learn the better-
    but what counts the most is the quality of what you learn not the quanity right
    and yes GR thats a good sign that your doing better -a great sign-keep those signs rolling we want to hear
    we love to hear that your going to be the next success story -
    god bless

11. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Eric,
    Thanks for your in depth reply. It really helps hearing from you. And know for sure that I
    am here for you.

I got my Dr. Sarno's books out. I am memorizing and going over daily the 12 daily
    reminders. I was able to go down about 5 flights of steps today and then walk a long
    way to the parking lot at work. I went down the stairs with no pain but after walking about
    two blocks more, I had pain. I just ignored it and thought it was a conditioned response
    because I had walked far and I may have got nervous on an unconscious level. I did it
    though. I do not think there was repressed emotions going on then.

What do you think of this? Again, when I went to sleep last night the pain in sciatica
    was so intensified. I tried my technique of deep breathing and releasing any negative emotions
    but it did not work. I tried to stay calm because in the back of my mind I am thinking
    oh no if I don't sleep, I have to go to work in the morning. But I put that thought out of my mind.

Then I tried to journal. I started journaling and that definitely started to calm me. Then,
    I went to sleep. But all through the night the pain would try to rage. I was too tired to
    get up and journal. Any specific instructions or suggestions? What would you do in that situation?

What helped you the most in your recovery? If you ever need any suggestions for yourself
    please do not be hesitate to ask me.

Thank you so much for your help, your kindness, and your time,
    G.R.

12. Eric "Herbie" Watson

GR)- I went down the stairs with no pain but after walking about
    two blocks more, I had pain. I just ignored it and thought it was a conditioned response
    because I had walked far and I may have got nervous on an unconscious level. I did it
    though. I do not think there was repressed emotions going on then.

Eric)- you did good on facing the walk and all the will power you have put in
    remember though if you workout then when you start to feel pain,just relax
    get somewhere and break,then see the next day if you should move on
    but at this point in your recovery the conditioned response will have you
    so just do what your doing-thats great
    stimulate the system ,dont anniliate
    so we have to always let pain subside if it gets to unbearable-it just means conditionings right now in your recovery
    your repression was probably the pain, youll understand these things more as you read the books and do the work

GR)- But all through the night the pain would try to rage. I was too tired to
    get up and journal. Any specific instructions or suggestions?

Eric)- yes- keep on working on your healing-your doing fine.
    you will hurt some and some qite a bit but we press on
    dont go passed the point of bad discomfort though
    now on to the rage all night and how at first you journaled-then you were fine
    then through the night the rage came back-well see here you had the symtom imperitive roaring
    it knows you on to it and it dont want to leave but keep the pressure on by study and release and you will
    releasing is letting go all negative stressors you are always thinking about and often subconsciously think about
    if you stay course -you will recondtion and you will heal
    just dont over do it on your physical work as much till you start to release the repressions alot ok
    god bless
    and yes ill take you up on some help at something when needed
    i just know how important this is-i was there and i dont want to see you stay there-thanks