1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Advice for working with Non-TMS Therapist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by efed19, Jun 4, 2021.

1. efed19

efed19 New Member

Hello, looking on this forum & the practitioners on the list, it seems like it's unlikely I'll find a TMS therapist who takes insurance. So, I'm thinking of seeking out a non-TMS therapist. My BCBS covers me just in the 6 New England states.

Unfortunately, I need to use insurance at the moment as I've been reduced to part-time work. Does anyone have any advice for types of therapists whose background work well with TMS? Or has it just been a crapshoot in your experience... find a therapist and see how receptive they are?

Many thanks!

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I hate to say it but when it comes to mind body syndromes, I kind of want to say "don't bother". The standard therapist is trained to help you "cope". Insurance usually covers CBT and ACT therapy which is fine but not for tms imo. You are far better off in investing in a tms therapist or a coach (you could even just have a couple of sessions which is more valuable than 52 standard therapy sessions) or just doing the work on your own. I never regretted a penny I spent on TMS therapy, but I do regret the obscene amounts I spent on useless medical "treatments".

TG957, Ellen, birdsetfree and 2 others like this.
  3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't know whether your insurance is likely to cover you for it, but I understand that Dr Sarno seemingly approved of ISTDP. Here's some information about it https://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Intensive_Short_Term_Dynamic_Psychotherapy (Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy).

This website has a list of ISTDP therapists https://istdpinstitute.com/istdp-therapist-directory/ (ISTDP therapist directory - ISTDP Institute). I'm from England in the UK so I needed to look up which states are the New England states and I see that Vermont and Massachusetts are two of them and there are ISTDP therapists for those two states on the list.

I've not tried ISTDP myself as there's no ISTDP therapist where I am, but I was interested in trying it. Kristian Nibe has written a self help ISTDP book; this is his website which has a lot of substantial excerpts from his book, which might give you an idea as to whether this type of therapy would be for you https://kristiannibe.com/reconnect-to-your-core-a-self-help-guide/ (Reconnect to your Core - A self-help guide. - Kristian Nibe).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    efed19 likes this.
  4. efed19

efed19 New Member

Spoke to one TMS therapist today who doesn't take insurance and charges $350/session. So, I'll check out the ISTDP route, as I've located one that takes my insurance, but I'd say beyond that TMS unfortunately seems to be one of those conditions where if you're wealthy, you can get help. Otherwise, you have to rely on the kindness of strangers in forums :) Many thanks to you here!

TG957 and BloodMoon like this.
  5. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow that is a lot. Rates and methods may vary but I know several coaches (myself included ) that do not charge anywhere near that amount. I just wanted to put that out there so people reading don't get totally discouraged. ISTDP is wonderful but it's a longer term investment (usually a year) and it's usually more indicated for deeper seated issues or trauma. There are very few ISTDP therapists and often they will only accept patients in their state. I also highly doubt that insurance companies recognize them. This is just my opinion, but I personally think the majority of people would benefit from a TMS coach or therapist. Maybe 20 percent just need to read a book and call it a day, and 20 percent need more intensive therapy. Most fall into that 60 percent that could use a couple of sessions to get some clarity and a road map.

I say this because I have been on both sides by now. I've had therapy (and even ISTDP with Dr. Abbass in Canada...I literally flew out to meet him lol, as well as therapy with a TMS therapist for over a year). There are many more coaches and practitioners out there now, then even 5 years ago, who are versed in this subject. There are also group classes you can take on zoom which costs less (but you don't get the one on one as much). It all hinges on your personal needs.

TG957, backhand and efed19 like this.
  6. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I agree with miffybunny, most people need regular support for a while or at least until the new pathways of tms type thinking regarding symptoms are firing. This can be achieved in various ways; psychotherapy (gold standard but $$$,) tms coach (usually not a psychologist, cheaper but passionate and experienced,) or posting regularly for free on this website for support. Depends on where you are at with what you might need.