1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Advice after some success

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by LaughingKat, Nov 22, 2019.

1. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

I started my TMS journey in January 2018. Fear prevented me from accepting the diagnosis and delayed recovery for many months. I have done hard and necessary work, including intensive psychotherapy for my anxiety and repressed emotions and Dr. Schubiner's workbook. I have benefitted from the wisdom on this forum.

Symptoms have come and (hooray!) gone. What's gone: shoulder, neck and arm pain, headaches, nausea.

What's left: The original foot numbnesss/tightness/stiffness and a more recent bitter taste in my mouth (a little more than a month on this). I can't honestly say I no longer worry about the foot but hours and days go by without my thinking about it. Still the symptom is constant and has been for 2+ years. I have seen a neurologist, chiropractor, PT, acupuncturist, homeopath, osteopath, with no results.

For the bitter taste, I have seen my PCP, ENT, dentist, none of whom have a clue. PCP recommends seeing a gastroenterologist but I'm really not in the mood to have a camera shoved down my throat just to have them tell me they can't find anything. I am worried about this bitter taste, and I hate it, which I guess means I haven't accepted that it's TMS. (Unlike the feet, I haven't seen a TMS doc for this symptom.)

The only med I'm taking is a small dose of klonopin and my psychiatrist says this can't be a side effect of that.

I'm at a loss. What would you do? Just ride it out and live with it? Keep chasing a physical/structural explanation? For the feet and the mouth symptoms?

I'm living and enjoying my life, still working at therapy. But these symptoms are a consistent back of my mind worry -- which is at least better than the panic I used to have 24/7.

Thank you!

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@LaughingKat, I've had episodes of hypersensitivity to smells or tastes, including, a year ago, a mentholated feeling in my esophagus (that was not heartburn) that lasted at least two months - and then went away. Probably replaced by some other annoying symptom that I can't remember now. I've had weird-ass things like this off and on my entire life (and I'm 68 - but only discovered Dr. Sarno at age 60) and I have rarely, if ever, had anything checked out. In my experience, this too will pass!

LaughingKat likes this.
  3. LaughingKat

Thanks so much, @JanAtheCPA . I'm going to try and wait out the mouth symptom...and keep working.

Do you have any thoughts about the feet -- which like I said have remained constant even though my fear level about them has gone way way down?

4. JanAtheCPA

Since you've been checked out and they can't find anything wrong, you're looking at a long-standing memorized pattern - think of it as the same thing as phantom limb pain.

I believe that such conditioned symptoms can be unlearned. The key is a very high, very committed level of mindfulness, and a real dedication to changing your internal dialogue about it. Engage in a practice of being in the present with the symptoms, rather than vaguely hoping that they'll go away in the future; be extremely aware of how you really think about the symptoms; and visualize what it might be like to not have them anymore.

Easier said than done. But I not only believe it can be done, I know it can be done, because I've even managed it myself a few times - but only when I am very highly motivated!

5. LaughingKat

This makes so much sense to me, @JanAtheCPA . It makes me wish you would write a TMS book of your own! :)

About the taste in my mouth: I've been wondering if it's a kind of "tinnitus of the mouth" in that it is magnifying, through fear, obsession, and hypervigilance, sensations that are naturally or typically present anyway.

6. JanAtheCPA

When it comes to human physiology combined with human psychology, I believe that anything is possible.

And thank you for your kind words. The thought crosses my mind every once in a while... if I were to ever really retire. :rolleyes: