1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Acting "as if…"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by North Star, Apr 24, 2014.

1. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Thanks, sewmuch - good advice and keeping things in perspective is really what it's all about!

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

LindaRK, I SO hear you! I used to joke that I could run a "Dial-A-Pessimist" hotline….you tell me what you're happy about and I'll tell you ten negatives about it or how Murphy's Law is going to catch up with you. I guess it comes from my child of an alcoholic upbringing. I could earn a PhD in catastrophic thinking. GAH!

The FLIP side of this I think it reminding myself that my TRUE nature is actually a very upbeat and encouraging soul. I see potential in everyone. I really do. (If I'm not navel gazing and being preoccupied with my woes, that is.)

One thing I do is when I'm feeling down, I'll go and encourage someone else. Leave a kind note on someone's Facebook wall or tell the clerk in the store that I think she's an amazing checker or….you get the idea. If you really want your happy meter to peg, buy someone's coffee in the coffee shop. It amazes…really, really amazes me…at how powerful such a small gesture can be for heading off a dive into depression. (Something I can do quite well if I don't watch it.)

Short circuiting all the negative chatter in my head is probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do but I'm also convinced it's the most powerful thing. When we look at things with a positive attitude of empowerment, it changes everything.

And that's why we need each other because it certainly isn't a "I've arrived" sort of thing. Zig Ziglar, the great encourager, once said something like, we all need encouragement everyday. Sort of like we need to take a shower everyday. (Apologies to the late Zig for mangling his thought. ;) )

3. LindaRK

Ha, North Star!!!! Love that "Dial-A-Pessimist" hotline comment. I can totally relate. Like you, I can see potential in people, too - just not myself. I always cut myself down - thinking I might be able to do something BIG, then I go to the "well, somebody has already done it or they are better than you, so why try" mindset. GRRRR.

You're right about the "pay it forward" thing ... I find that it really puts me in a good frame of mind. Just need to do it much, much more often, I guess.

North Star likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, ladies. "Dial-a-Pessimist" is hilarious.
    Everyone around here in the Chicago area is depressed because of the constant cool or cold weather and rain.
    But no tornadoes or flooding, so I look on the bright side.

But isn't it easy to catastrophize! Should I go out and build an ark for me and Annie?

Does my foggy head mean I'm at the start of brain cancer? Of course not, Dr. Google says
    it's probably spring allergies. And I saw my next-door neighbor's lawn service put down weed poison
    yesterday and I know that gets into my sinuses. The thing is, my lawn looks just as good (or bad) as his,
    and I don't put anything down on it. Annie does, but I clean that right up.

Think happy, think well, and laugh. That's what we should hear on the "Dial-a-Pessimist" hot line.

North Star and LindaRK like this.
  5. LindaRK

Walt, you need to get one of those "no spray" signs for your front yard!

6. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Ooooor….you could just send Annie over to fertilize. hahahaha