1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 Accepting the diagnosis - am I on track?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Pia, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Pia

Pia Peer Supporter

New in TMS... My psychologist introduced TMS to me. I have Ehlers-Danlos type III (hypermobility), which is a genetic collagen disorder, and depression. And allergies, psoriasis and some other minor issues. I'm 50, Danish, had to leave work more than 6 years ago due the damage from Ehlers-Danlos, have been disabled to the point of electrical wheel chair but I'm able to walk again, don't use braces much anymore - things have improved (by medation, cleaning up my life etc), but acute injuries which are part of Ehlers-Danlos tend to just not go away... for years, literally. My musles are extremely tense and I'm tired to my bones.
    In addition to that, you may add troubled childhood, lost of losses in life, deaths - you know the drill.
    I've been very sceptical towards TMS, but during the last three weeks, I'm getting there. I start to get a positive reaction from my body when using TMS techniques. My understanding is that TMS piggybacks on my joint/muscle issues that come from the collagen disorder. Further, I have repressed my feelings for approx 40 years and I kind of get the image, that my body is really tired and worn and that I need to allow time to heal. And doing so wisely and quietly, I WILL heal! I will still have a lousy connective tissue and get injuries, but I won't be in pain day in and day out for years.
    My psychologist says that the idea is to cut pain meds and e.g. physiotherapy (massage) and any other things that one does due to the symptoms - immediately. I tried to cut down the paracetamol, which is the only pain med I use, but I got soooooo bad in 3-4 days... I cut only 25 per cent and I had to go back on full dosis again. I think it's too soon - and I need the weekly massage (and training in warm water) to help the blood circulation in areas of my body which have been stiff and hurt for so many years. Going from the full treatment package to none in a few days appears to be insane... I'm scared of ending up in the wheel chair again and not being able to take care of myself again.
    I cannot find any TMS medical doctor in Denmark and I'm not really confident with having a psychologist telling me how to manage the physical issues in this time of transition... then rather rely on my own expertise, but I do question my motives - is this a non-acceptance? Any advice from you guys in here will be highle appreciated - thanks <3

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Pia,

I want to full-heartedly support your approach. You have been diagnosed with a recognized physical condition which you understand, the Ehlers-Danlos type III (hypermobility). Yet, beautifully you contemplate and understand that by using a TMS approach you can reduce the pain. You are using the pain meds for support and experimenting with reduction. You are cultivating a patient approach. I sense a surety and confidence in your words. I hope you see this, and understand that you are on the right path!

Your results are, and will continue to support more and more acceptance of the TMS part of your diagnosis.

Andy B

Pia likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Pia. I agree with Andy that you are making excellent progress in healing. You went through a lot in your life and know you have been repressing emotions because of them. Total, 100 percent belief in TMS will make you well again.

It's wonderful that you have left the wheelchair and are walking again! Be sure you cut down on the medication with the advice of your doctor. The weekly massage and warm water therapy both are very good you.

The SEProgram is great. It helped me heal from severe back pain by journaling and discovering repressed emotions going back to my boyhood, and I am now 86.

Pia likes this.
  4. Pia

Pia Peer Supporter

Thank you so much, Andy and Walt, for supporting my approach <3. I feel more confident doing this "my way" now :)