1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

About TYLENOL

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Sam1984, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Sam1984

Sam1984 New Member

I have been suffering of TMS for over 2 years now. I have more of a conditioned response which comes with laying down on bed and intensifies during the night with bad Right Leg and Lower Back pain.

Although I have been working on a solution for some time now, the conditioning part of the pain and the fact that it comes at night makes it harder to fix.

When pain comes, I realize my head gets some pressure too. Sometimes a scalf massage gives me good relief of the leg pain, probably because it enhances blood flow as it relaxes the brain.

Now the question: During this time, the only thing that totally gets rid of my pain is tylenol. And not much of it! Just a small dose of 500gm before going to bed gives me a full relief for a good 5-6 hours.

What is it that tylenol does that can give such a relief to intense pain? Even when I have injured my feet or legs, tylenol doesn't do much. But for TMS it is amazingly efficient.

And 2 weeks ago I proved to myself it is not a Placebo effect! My wife had switched a few of my Tylenols for some Magnesium supplement pills that look exactly the same. I woke up with very bad pain and for 2 days thought my body wasn't accepting the Tylenol solution anymore! Meaning the Placebo did not work.

Just trying to understand the reasons...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Sam, and welcome.

My answer is: it's related to the power of the placebo effect. And this is a GOOD thing!

Too many people think negatively when they hear that phrase: Placebo Effect. I, however, think: Mind over Body - I Have Control.

"Before Sarno" I used to get what I called "Five-Ibuprofen" headaches. I would wake up with a screaming sick headache, and take three ibuprofen with strong tea. Two our three hours later I would take two more, take a nap, and wake up feeling weak and shaky the rest of the day. After discovering Dr. Sarno and doing the work, I rarely get headaches at all, and when I do, they are usually just end-of-day tension headaches, and normally I take nothing. However, I've had a few (very few in six years) of the old screamers - but like you, I take just one Tylenol or just one ibuprofen, have my tea and a nice hot shower, and I'm good to go in very short order.

What's the difference? I say that the difference is what's going on in my mind. It's the way I think about it now. And part of what I do is that I am able to visualize just one pain tablet doing the trick - and it does.

This is what researchers into the placebo effect have found - that even when people know they are taking a placebo, if they are led to believe that others have found relief from the placebo, they often find relief as well.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all about visualization, and it's all about controlling the experience of our minds, over the experience of our bodies. We DO have the control to change what we are experiencing - because all physical experience originates in our brains.

~Jan

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  3. Sam1984

Sam1984 New Member

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply but it is not a Placebo effect! I just edited my post, see my Placebo experience....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
  4. Click#7

Click#7 Well known member

Pain pills still take pain away...even Sarno prescribed narcotics for severe pain even though he didn't use them for long. So the point being when you heal you won't need the Tylenol.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018