1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

A word about outcome independence

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by Alan Gordon LCSW, Sep 4, 2012.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I think "outcome independence" is more about adopting an attitude of indifference to whether or no the pain goes away, staying in the moment without anticipating some time in the future when the pain will resolve itself.

westb, Ollin, suky and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kozas

Kozas New Member

I think that's great attitude to any pain, even if it's something structural. Question is, how to do it, when pain grabs you attention so effectively... I feel like everytime I'm trying to be indifferent it's just 'trying' and not a genuine feeling. How can I be indifferent when being pain free is something I so badly want? Trying to be indifferent feels like a lying to myself...

3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@Kozas, you have to remember that the mind-body connection, which can cause endless symptoms including (but certainly not limited to) pain, is a normal part of life every single soul on this planet faces to some degree: eyes twitching after a stressful work deadline, headaches while fighting with a relative, turning pale when upset, etc. It's important to view the symptoms as temporary and accept that they will go away when your nervous system has had a chance to calm down.

I've posted a success story detailing how I got rid of an incredibly long list of symptoms. However, I'm having a medical procedure soon (for a non-TMS issue that is completely unrelated to any symptoms I've posted about on these forums), and I've been stressed out about it. Because of this, I've been experiencing joint pain, muscle soreness, and anxiety. The joints in my fingers felt so sore while I was typing at work today and it got to the point where the discomfort was feeling awful, but I had to remind myself that it's from stress and that it would eventually end. And it did. This is a stark contrast from two years ago when the symptoms would go on for months and months on end because I couldn't accept the symptoms and feared and obsessed over them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Kozas

Kozas New Member

I understand that but I have problems since early 20's and I don't know anyone who is in such pain as myself. Surely there are some that don't want to speak about it, but being nearly disabled in your 20's is not normal. Besides all that happened after long use of antibiotics(for acne) and I always blamed that on my problems. Although some of my problems(teeth sensitivity and constant pain) are rather not linked to any use of antibiotics(maybe fluoroquilones? But I've never used them anyway).
    How can I view symptoms as temporary if I feel them every second of my life in last 8 years? It seems like feeling normal was temporary for me, and pain is all that awaits me, it's like diabetics. Once you get diabetes something switch in your body, and your never the same.
    In last year I found some methods to cope like meditation and positive thinking and visualisation, but all those only helps me better function and alleviates depression but does nothing absolutely nothing to physical symptoms. I don't feel even 1% better after months of tms aproach. It's not like I will stop it, as I don't have anything left to try, I've tried classical medicine and alternative(accupuncture etc) for last 7 years, so tms can be my last station in trying to help myself

5. RonnieTL

RonnieTL New Member

Thank you for the great article. I am on day 29 of the Educational Program and feeling that I have not made much progress. Much of my shoulder and neck pain comes at night. It wakes me up with the throbbing and pain. I readjust my sleeping position, go back to sleep and get woken up two hours later with the pain. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to deal with ignoring pain when it wakes me up?