1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A tribute to Walt Glenview

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I just wanted to take a moment to show some appreciation for @walt glenview, one of the most beloved posters on this forum. He is 83 years old and an inspiration to all of us with his positivity and down to earth wisdom. His TMS book with @Eric "Herbie" Watson will be coming out during the next several months and I am very much looking forward to reading it. Having read an early draft, I can tell that he has lived a long and very full life, and I love that he is often able to add humor and warmth to his posts.

As a mathematical economist and the president of our nonprofit, I tend to be a numbers guy, looking at the data to figure ensure the long term health of our community. I mention this because I am very happy to be able to share that Walt due to the qualities mentioned above, Walt will probably soon become the most "liked" member of our forum.

What do I mean by this? As many of you know, I recently did a significant upgrade to the software that runs our forum. Now it is far more fun to visit the forum on your smartphone or tablet when you have a spare minute. (I've begun to catch myself doing so quite frequently.) Well, another advantage to the new software is that it shows a list of the forum members whose posts have received the most amount of likes. Based on current trends, Walt will soon be at the top of the list!

I encourage everyone to take a look at the list. Near the top of the page you will see a tab for "Members." If you click on that, down below, a new tab for "Most Likes" will appear. (If you have any difficulties, just click here for a 30 second tutorial or post below and I'll be happy to answer any questions.)

I would bet that more than half of the people reading this have been helped by Walt's warm and kind advice during their healing process. His summaries of The Great Pain Deception are always a pleasure to read and are often lauded by the author himself. His other posts are fun to read and always bring us back to the most important ideas that Dr. Sarno identified so clearly.

An author of 40 books and former Chicago Tribune journalist who asked for a toy typewriter for Christmas when he was a boy, he is like our forum's own columnist. I thought it fitting, therefore, to take a moment to recognize his contributions to our community. Congratulations, Walt!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    G.R., nowtimecoach, jazzhands and 3 others like this.
  2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

*Standing Ovations!* Walt, you are truly the greatest treasure here. I always feel like I'm sitting down to a cozy chat when I read your posts. Your tone has shaped much of this forum and I believe is key to its ongoing success.

Thank you so much for all that you do here, Walt!

Forest, thank you for the thoughtful shout out to Walt. And for all your work here.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  3. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Yes-I agree with all you have said about Walt. Funny to think I live in the UK (all that distance away) and don't know him and he doesn't know me, but he has helped me and I am sure lots of others with his kind words of wisdom.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, Yes to all the praise stated above! Walt is a true gem. He has a way of 'keeping things real' and setting the warm and positive tone that is a hallmark of this forum.

But I'm refraining from 'liking' Forest's post above, because I'm rooting for Walt to hit the top.

5. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

Walt has been a great help to me as well. Walt, it's a comfort just knowing that you're out there, waiting with a kind and encouraging word. Thank you for all your caring and support!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm truly touched by Forest's tribute and the replies from you good friends at TMSWiki.

I have learned so much from the TMSWiki, and from Forest and you other "guys,"
    and want to also bow to Herbie (Eric Watson) for his help in my healing from TMS back pain,
    and for his so insightful posts. We are working hard to finish our book and that will happen
    in another week or two.

I don't think Forest will mind if put my blog here. It tells about my past and recent books:
    walteroleksybooks.com

Forgive the commercial, Forest. The books aren't about TMS directly, but some of them
    are, indirectly.

Now to make dinner for my darling Annie.

Thank you all again. It's great to share ideas at TMSWiki and to know I've been helping.

Bless you all.

7. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Good job Forest, bravo!

I had a nice long talk with Walt on the phone a few months back . He's just as sweet as you think he is. He's smart, kind, and a real pleasure to talk with. His voice is soft and he speaks from his heart freely with no pretense.

I've never told him how many people write to me and say how much they "love" him. He also has no idea of how powerful his presence is here and how much he's respected. I've used him as an example of healing on many occasions because in many ways he did it "perfectly" by the TMS-textbook.

He once called me his brother and I feel the same about him. He's a bright shining soul that has much more to give to others, not only in wisdom but in friendship.

Walt you are a reminder of times that everyone should never forget, the simpler times in life that people often long for in a confusing world. But it isn't only your age that people respect, it's YOU, the man. You can't buy genuine.

I look forward to talking to you again.
    Steve

Forest and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve, we are brothers. You have been an incredible inspiration to me and countless others at
    TMSWiki and those who have read your book.

But I have to ask, are you sure you have the right Walt?

There are many Polak Oleksy's around.

I know Annie loves me, but it's so good to know she's not alone.
    And she had TMS but has recovered through talking with her eyes.
    She was abandoned when she was a puppy. I got her at a shelter
    after my darling dog before her died at 16 and a half years.

Annie was unsure about her future when I got her.
    She was in my face for well over a month, to be sure I wasn't
    going to leave her or toss her out of the house.

One day after more than a month she came into my home office
    and sat and looked at me. Her eyes told me, "Oh, I get it.
    You're going to keep me. This is my home!"

She's thirteen now and so confident in my love that she
    no longer jumps into my lap. Except last when when a friend
    visited for Christmas and brought his little black lab mix dog,
    Theo. Theo leaped into my lap and kissed me for more than
    ten minutes. When he jumped down, who came into my lap
    but Annie. She never kisses, but wanted me to hold her.

So Annie taught me a lot about rejection and abandonment.
    What fills the hole is love.

Love to you all.

Walt and Annie

Woof woof!

9. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

THIS!! (yes, this is a shout)

with grace and gratitude,
    ^_^

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Im amazed at you my friend Walt. You have showed me what true friendship is in the time we've been friends here at tms wiki and writing the book. You have a calm , cool way about yourself that brings a smile to my face each time I think of you friend. If I see a post by you or an answer to a post I always feel this giddy feeling of Happiness rise up in my belly. Your the best friend a man or woman can have. What you say is like Gold. You have always said words to me that only inspired me and built my hope in who I am even more than you'll ever know my friend -- I love You Brother.
    God Bless

North Star, Forest and Becca like this.
  11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Lily Rose and Herbie,

Annie says I better not get a fat head. I promised her I won't.

But I do really appreciate the kind words.

Herbie, we've helped each other. And you've been very patient when I have
    needed patience. I'm not perfect. I get frustrated and blow up. But I get over
    it fast with one of my favorite TMS techniques: laughing.

Nothing is really fatal, even death. We go on from then, I'm convinced.

12. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

The news of a book by Walt and Eric "herbie" makes me very very happy!! Both Walt and Eric have helped me tremendously with their consistent participation on the forum and outstanding insights. One of the best bonuses of this forum is the amount of loving kindness that comes through everyone's posts. I"m bowing to both these boys!

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, nowtimecoach. Thanks for the bows to Herbie and me. We bow to you, too, for your great posts.
    Dr. Sarno's and Steve Ozanich's books are the real Bibles of TMS. Herbie and I hope ours gives more
    ideas on TMS healing. They're two journeys, both different and yet quite a bit the same.

Your photo still reminds me of a back-fence neighbor in Evanston. You even have the same short hair
    and it's blond. You're not really Helene, are you?

14. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

nowtimecoach thank you so much for your gratitude, you have once again humbled my heart.
    Bless you

nowtimecoach likes this.