1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 6 years of CFS, 2 years of other chronic pain - Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dolcevita, Feb 24, 2014.

1. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Hi all,

I learned about TMS/PPD when I found this site a few months ago and I'm finally giving it a go. I'm 28 and I've had chronic fatigue syndrome after getting sick 6 years ago. In addition to generalized muscle/joint pain that I've had since getting sick, I've also developed multiple chronic pain issues 2 years ago (back pain after a car accident, jaw, leg pain). I'm mostly housebound and it's been so frustrating losing my life in my twenties.

I can see how my recent chronic pain issues can be TMS, but not sure about the CFS because I have some immune system issues. I do think getting in tune with my emotions can help alleviate some of those symptoms, just not necessarily cure it. Anyway, I'm excited to give it a try and see what will happen. In general, I'm one of those people who's always smiling, hates to complain, and I really hate feeling upset in any way so I just push those emotions away. Definitely can see how I definitely TMS after watching that 20/20 video! Also just bought Dr. Sarno's book so excited to start reading that. I've also been meditating 30 minutes 5 days a week for a few months now.

Sorry for the long post! Would love to hear other's feedback or suggestions for other material to read/listen/watch, especially if you've had CFS or Fibro and gotten better from this!

Thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Dolcevita,

I'm glad you have joined us on the Forum. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, migraine (a many more other things) about 20 years ago. I discovered the concept of TMS about 10 months ago, and have made incredible progress to the point where I now consider myself to be around 80% healed. I believe that CFS is a TMS equivalent, and there are many TMS doctors who feel that the same issues that lead to TMS can impact the immune system as well. Dr. Sarno addresses this somewhat in his books. Which one did you order? Another favorite book here is The Great Pain Deception by Steve Ozanich.

I see you have started the Structured Educational Program on this site. These daily readings and activities make it much easier in my opinion. Also, read the Success Stories on the forum which will help keep you motivated and inspired. And keep posting on the Forum and let us know how you are doing. Feel free to ask any questions at any time, or to just ask for support. There is a wonderful community of people here who have been through similar experiences and have much wisdom and compassion to share.

welcomea And best wishes as you begin your healing journey...

Durga likes this.
  3. dolcevita

dolcevita New Member

Hi Ellen, Thanks so much for your reply and kind support! I looked through some of the posts on here and yes, I agree, it seems to be a wonderful community of people!

The book I ordered is Back Pain - The Mind Body Connection. Thank you for the other book suggestion, I will definitely take a look once I finish the one I have. I have a few questions about how you proceeded with treating CFS like TMS. Were there changes you had to make to the program or general TMS-related advice, or did it start to resolve in the process of specifically dealing with pain? Also, if you were on any treatments for the CFS and/or Fibro, did you stop them?

Thanks in advance!

4. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Hi Dolcevita, I don't have the CFS experience but certainly other debilitating chronic pain issues. I just wanted to welcome you to the SEP and to the forum. I got such wonderful support participating in this forum, sharing success and frustration stories. I know you will find some relief as you continue this journey. Looking forward to reading your posts!
    Molly

5. Ellen

6. joannabev

joannabev New Member

7. joannabev

joannabev New Member

I have found that the Sa Ta Na Ma Kundalini Meditation is very soothing. Just google it and find a site that explains it and then find a permutation of it that you like. See what you think!

8. Ellen

I messed up the formatting in my reply above, so I'm reproducing it so it is more accessible:

Hi Dolcevita,

I've provided a link below to some information on this site about CFS. It can be very useful to use the search bar at the top right of the page anytime you'd like to know if there is specific information on the site related to a particular condition or symptom, or if it has been discussed in the Forum.

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome

There is some information in Sarno's books and Dr. Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain about CFS, but not in much detail at all. Both doctors say they have had success in treating CFS as TMS, and do not say they used any different methods in doing so. The research that supports TMS theory is related to pain, and so the evidence that CFS can be successfully treated as TMS is anecdotal and based on clinical observations at this point, to the best of my knowledge.

I followed the techniques outlined in Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain (similar to SEP) and made no changes to treat any of my conditions. I had more immediate success with pain relief, and it took a little longer for the fatigue to improve. I have been working on stopping medications, but have done it one at a time and very gradually, and all with the knowledge and support of my doctor. I started with the pain medication, since my pain had decreased substantially. That took a few months. Then when I was ready, I started to gradually decrease another, and so on. I did stop all specialized nutritional supplements right away. You can work on your TMS while taking medication, as long as you are clear in your mind that the medications are only treating your symptoms and not the cause. It's important to believe 100% that the cause of your symptoms is psychological and not physical. You can still have some success with some doubt, but the doubt will hold your progress back. So continue to read books and success stories about TMS to counter any doubts. Sometimes hearing the information is powerful, so audio book versions of Dr. Sarno's books can be helpful--I particularly like Healing Back Pain in audio format as Sarno reads it himself.

Best wishes as you continue with the SEP. Keep us informed how you're doing.

Durga likes this.