1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 21 Year Old Student, Starting the Program!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tom Russell, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Tom Russell

Tom Russell New Member

Hi, my name is Tom Russell and I am a 21 year old student from England! Today I am going to start the Structured Educational Program.

My TMS symptoms started to become a problem around May this year when I was about to take my university exams. Along with this I had also been struggling with self-esteem issues and my grandmother was recently diagnosed with cancer. Despite this, I did not feel particularly stressed (at least, not consciously).

For most of my life I have had minor issues with my stomach, namely bouts of nausea. Around this time my symptoms suddenly became very severe, with the nausea reaching intense levels. This meant that I was eating less than one meal a day and also slept every night propped up in a sitting position. It became apparent pretty quickly that I wouldn't be able to take my exams, so I dropped out of the year and returned home early. I made several visits to the doctors and I was convinced that there was something terribly wrong with my stomach. I was referred to a gastrointestinal consultant who decided that I had 'non-ulcer dyspepsia' (or functional dyspepsia). In other words, dyspepsia not caused by any physical problems, but by stress.

Around the time I was visiting doctors for my stomach I began to get some unpleasant RSI pain in my right hand and wrist while using a computer mouse. I swapped to using a left handed mouse to allow my right hand to recover and believe it or not, within a few weeks my left hand developed similar RSI pain. I began to worry that my body seemed to be failing me in every way, obviously causing me further stress.

Fast forward 3-4 months later, after resting my hands as much as possible and trying many remedies to help my stomach recover, little had changed. My stomach symptoms were significantly better than during the exams, but still present and still a hindrance to normal and happy life. My RSI symptoms were as bad as ever despite trying everything I could, including seeing a chiropractor and a physiotherapist, having ultrasound treatment, contrast baths or daily ice baths on my hands, stretching 3 times a day, exercises, massage and more.

About 2 weeks ago I was searching on Amazon for books with information on RSI when I stumbled upon 'The Mind-Body Prescription'. The reviews were positive and many mentioned RSI so I thought I'd give it a go. After reading the book and finding many of the personality traits and problems very similar to my own I did some searching on how to go about 'curing' TMS. I discovered the TMS wiki and the Structured Educational Program, which brings us to now!

In comparison to some of the other cases I've read about I haven't had these pain symptoms for a very long time, so I feel I was very lucky to come across 'The Mind-body Prescription' and Dr. Sarno as early as I did. Hopefully I've saved myself years of pain and discomfort.

Sorry for the wall of text above, but I thought it would be helpful for me to recount my story up till now and perhaps interesting for some to hear. Wish me luck!​

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Tom, welcome to the TMS wiki! There are real pros and cons to the Internet but one of the positives is that you can search a term like RSI and eh voila you are transported to this site.

Life at uni can bring out all sorts of insecurities and anxieties. It certainly did for me. I remember going the library in a state of panic over papers I had to write, books I had to read, deadlines I had to meet. I wasn't able to voice my feelings so I stuffed them down deep into my stomach and ended up with IBS. Post graduation every time I went into a library or even a bookstore for a leisurely browse my stomach would act up. It was your typical conditioned response. I knew at the time where it stemmed from but unaware of Dr Sarno and TMS I had no idea how to stop it from happening.

The forum boasts plenty of wise and generous souls who will guide and support you. The wiki itself is a great resource.
    See you around, Tom. tiphata

JanAtheCPA and Seraphina like this.
  3. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

Hi Tom, greetings from Seoul, Korea! welcomea
    I'm a 25-year-old investment manager who has developed many mild & severe TMS symptoms since when I was 14.

It started from a severe back pain when I was preparing for an entrance exam for a very selective private high school, and the pain spread out (sometimes moved around) my neck, shoulder, and lower back.

When I started a full-time work at this investment management company, I developed a temporary tinnitus and vertigo, knee pain from an "injury" by a skiing accident; doctors found nothing wrong on all those symptoms.

3 months ago, I actually injured my right ankle, and the extreme stress and fear on the injury initiated TMS pains on the other ankle, wrists, fingers and lower back. As I'm accepting the TMS diagnosis on my ankle, wrists, and fingers and using TMS healing techniques I learned here, the pain level has come down to a very manageable level.

The biggest TMS pain I have is the pelvic floor-related butt pain. It developed gradually as I recovered from my ankle injury and the TMS symptoms I had during the recent 3 months. It actually shows a very slow progress because I'm sitting all day and the pain from sitting just annoys me all day. It's harder not to care of the pain than those on other body parts where you can just stop using (e.g., fingers or hands). But as it's TMS symptom imperative, I'm sure it'll get better someday if I am patiently and continuously accepting and using TMS healing techniques down to my unconscious level.
    Good luck Tom! wavea

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there Tom! Lucky? You bet - partly! But you can also give yourself a LOT of credit for recognizing and being open to alternative possibilities. Not everyone can do that.

I spent my life with various symptoms, and being relieved whenever a doc told me that whatever my current symptom was, it seemed to be the result of stress and anxiety. But I didn't know what to do about it, and as I approached age 60, my symptoms built up to a crisis point. Dr. Sarno and this community changed my life and turned it around.

Not only do you have the opportunity to enjoy many decades of health, but if you raise a family, you are going to be able to offer yours kids an awesome set of life skills - just imagine that!

Welcome, good luck, and keep us posted, Tom!

~Jan​