1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

2 ten dollar bills will SAVE you. Truth. Paul David

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Branson, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Branson

Branson Peer Supporter

What really works about Sarno? Get back to living your life. As simple as that. TMSing, is an anxiety state. For most here that state is pain. For me it is fatigue. It is all anxiety over a sensation. That keeps the cycle cycling.

Buy this
    http://www.amazon.com/Paul-David/e/B00CIWK5U8/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1456014315&sr=8-2-ent

You need no therapy, coaching, no list of affirmations, no list of the 12 ways, no journaling. You can drop the whole load of it on the floor and walk away.

I believe these books are the most succinct pathway through. I bought the 2nd one first then bought the first one just to have a set ha.

Ten bucks YO!

I look forward to your reviews.

And if you really really cannot afford even 10 bucks, then he has this website
    http://anxietynomore.co.uk

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Aye, Yo, Branson,

I have one but not both, but it's on my evergrowing list of books to read.

I purchased it on the recommendation of another member of the forum.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Awesome Branson, a great book we all can learn something special from, how to live again. I am proud for you and your wisdom to have found this new book. I thought I have read most all of them.
    What approach does he use, feeling your emotions, radical acceptance, a Clair weeks approach which is a form of radical acceptance.
    I used affirmations, journaling, and the daily reminders for my pain and those were key for me along with acceptance, imagery and getting back to living which means to "lose the fear to enjoy your life".
    I always said there was a secret combination for each of us, you found yours, thanks for the post, I have it book marked.
    I still have to admit Sarno and Steve Os books are awesome to give you that psychological thinking we need so bad to heal and build a foundation, thinking psychological reconditions the Subconscious effortlessly if you believe it.
    Thanks again, bless you.

4. Branson

Branson Peer Supporter

My opinion Herbie is that you only BELIEVE you needed all that. But you could have still thrown all that out and what made the difference was taking your pain or fatigue or anxiety out into life with you. That is all. You didnt wait until it was all gone. You didnt wait while it furied. You took it all with you with a hell with it attitude and went on with life.

Now I KNOW that I have a lock on healing, AND I will have setbacks. What I wont do is avoid. Now a bad setback, I could be fired at work. But Im not going to sit home and say oh, Im too bad, I best wait. Well Ive been too bad and I best be waiting for over 2 decades. Searching searching. No searching equals no fear. So whether my symptoms/sensations go down and down like a hill or it is spikes up and down Im moving forward accepting this is the only way out.

There is this other forum tmshelp. And in it were people called hillbilly and balto. Ive see baltos name here. They used like zero schtick. Just took it with them and started living life. Paul Davids newer book is the best book Ive read.

Stop searching, start living.

kylehuisman and silentflutes like this.
  5. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I've heard of that book before and a cursory glance at it made me think it was specific to people suffering with social anxiety and panic attacks and the like...are you basically saying that the core of the book can be applied to TMS as well?

I used to be a member of the the TMShelp board years back and I found that Hillbilly's posts did make an awful lot of sense as well. What I did find on there was that if you tried to equate TMS as a variant of physical anxiety you tended to be given quite short thrift...not sure if that has changed.

I may have to give those books a good look.

Forest likes this.
  6. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

hi everybody,

well nice and also a bit frustrating to know that some people just read one book and are all better,..but
    some need jounalizing, steps, and more books and great support groups like this one here: so be it! we all have the same goal but maybe not the same road.
    some need one book..some need months or even years with all the above..
    then again : some people have no pain and no anxiety at all that's even better..
    that's life..
    we're not the same in that way

greetings,
    karina

7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Yes, that's the key, for sure. During the fall I started living my life again, despite my symptoms and it made such a difference for me. However, I needed tools to deal with my life, to handle it better; without Dr. Schubiner and Claire Weekes I wouldn't have been able to make such progress. I don't really journal and the only affirmation I use is sort of a reminder to myself, but I do use breathing exercises and I find that mindfulness/meditation is really important... so is self-reflection and self-compassion.

I would say - find your way to start living again, even if you're only able to take small steps - get out of your comfort-zone and challenge your fears. Don't be afraid of a setback, I had one a while back and it catapulted me forward because it made me realize that I could let go of the fear.

... also, many here have an interest in the mind-body connection outside of their own healing, it's such a fascinating subject!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016
  8. mike2014

I sense deja vu lol this topic has definitely been discussed on another thread...

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/too-many-tools.6883/

9. Huckleberry

Yep, also agree about the getting back to living your life sentiment.

I've been in the health worry/TMS loop for the best part of 8 years. There was a period about 3 years ago where I got back into running and hiking and found myself reengaged with my life totally. I didn't visit (or even think about visiting) a forum for about 2 years and didn't visit doctors or have any other overblown health anxieties.

When I consider what was better back then and why I've relapsed now it was purely really because I had things going on with my life then and all these things became more important to me than my health issues. I think I've mentioned this before when I went to a doctor about 5 years ago and he told me as I was walking out of the room that I basically just had too much time and not enough interests and that was what caused many of my issues. I remember being furious at him and feeling really pissed off but he was actually correct.

It is so tempting to pour over the TMS literature constantly and I am really guilty for doing this but it obviously doesn't really serve me well. I do know that last time things improved this was because the whole TMS/anxiety/health obsession just seemed to become redundant as I replaced it with other more important (and enjoyable) things. I often wonder if cavemen got TMS?!

Forest and Simplicity like this.
  10. mike2014

Probably not, the primitive brain is a survival mechanism used to scan the horizon for real danger. However, since we experience few real threats in modern times the old mechanism is unable to differentiate between real and preconceived threats. I think cavemen had far fewer stressors than us.

Simplicity likes this.
  11. Branson

Branson Peer Supporter

I particularly like this quote from the author

"I had to stop living my whole life trying to feel better and just shift back to normal living."

Let that sink in. That is in a nutshell what I am walking out. Ups downs rounds and rounds whatever.

The new accepted AMA back "went out" advice to patient, go back to life. Instead the worry about symptoms perpetuate the sensations. Locks it in. And before long with tms the worry am Ilooking at my subconsious right? Maybe if I had a new affirmation. Am I doing it right?

Dump it all on the floor and walk away in the other direction. To life. Even if it sucks....for now.

And I am under no illusion I can sustain what has begun as far as energy level. And I dont care. Im gonna keep on keeping on. In fact my hours at work just doubled. Can I keep up? Dont know dont care. Gonna go in on time no matter what. and carry on. If they dont want me then that is how it is and I learned something there. You can rush out into life, or you can babystep, but you best not stay where you are deep thinking, trying trying to feel good.

So thats all I gotta say about that (said in a Gumpish voice)

Karen, Forest and Dexy like this.
  12. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

WOW! Not many doctors have the guts to say something as honest as that to their patients. Where is this Good Doctor, maybe he should be on the practitioners list here. SteveO's first reaction to looking at Sarno's book, that a concerned friend gave him was to throw it across the room.

Karen likes this.
  13. mike2014

Good attitude, you may stand to gain some insight from this post I made yesterday regarding willpower...

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/willpower-is-in-your-mind-not-in-a-sugar-cube.11688/

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  14. Huckleberry

True enough.

The thing is thought whilst we are constantly told that today we are under ever increasing stress the reality is that so much of this stress is totally manufactured and self generated bullshit.

I'm obviously considering this on a 1st world basis but people today have pretty much all their needs met sufficiently but due to the bombardment from the media et al we get told that our wants and desires are actually requirements to live a self actualised life and this serves to generate huge amounts of internal stress, tension and anxiety.

I think this also applies to our health. So much advertising and popular culture memes seems to reiterate that being in 100% health is our birthright and that anything less than that is somehow flawed or unacceptable...there are no end of snake oil salesmen lining up to put us back together and make us whole again by waving a magic wand or prescribing the next big thing diet.

One thing I often notice on forums like this are a plethora of seemingly well educated, lucid and intelligent folk who are in a terrible quandary between the rational mindset which we have probably all had installed into us from birth and a more primitive and gut instinct feeling. I also often look at people in general just getting on with living their lives and quite often I may have been dismissive or even quite condescending of some of them as they seem ill informed and maybe even ignorant and almost like they don't take life serious enough...but do you know what, it is normally just those folk who seem to get along just nicely with limited anxieties and a general happy disposition. I don't think it's a case of burying their head in the sand or even the old ignorance is bliss adage but rather that somehow they have almost like given themselves permission to let themselves go and and only concern themselves in which they feel they really have some agency.

Apologies if I've gone off on a tangent but I think it is an interesting discussion as to why some people get so caught up in the worrying about how 'to do' life that they have issues (be them anxiety/TMS) whilst others just seem to be able to roll with the punches and just do nicely thank you very much.

kylehuisman, Karen, Dexy and 3 others like this.
  15. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Well, except saber-tooth tigers and such. ;)

I think their bodies and minds were well-adapted to their environment and we are a bit out of sync with the modern day life and all that it entails. I know I am, at least. :confused:

Forest, Tennis Tom and mike2014 like this.
  16. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Don't worry, @Huckleberry, I like your input.

For me, the TMS techniques has helped me to stop worrying so much and to move on with my life, to find joy again. Prior to doing the work I was stuck, afraid and confused; although I'm not completely well yet and will probably always have to deal with being a TMS-type person I feel empowered and hopeful.

17. Huckleberry

This is basically what my wife constantly says to me and it sends me into an unholy rage.

I know the sentiment is correct but I always find that as soon as I hear it said every fibre of my being screams out in pure unadulterated RAGE! I know this rage is basically my angst about my mortality and the fact that I feel somehow broken but I still fall into the trap of not allowing myself to accept.

We have a family friend who works as a nurse for young kids in palliative care...these kids are obviously terminally ill. I was speaking to her once and trying to get my head round how she had the strength to do such a job and she told me that in all the years she had been doing it she had never seen a kid who was really scared, bitter or depressed and she figured that this was because kids hadn't been burdened by the concepts of past and future all they knew was they were alive in that moment and this was all they had as an entitlement...it is only as we get older they we start to think that the future is somehow guaranteed to us.

I think we also see this in the way we deal with our kids. We often basically ignore them in their formative years as they are growing up as we pull 12 hours shifts 7 days a week in the belief that the money we earn will enable us to take better care of them and spend quality time with them in the future...the reality is that we often just end up having a heart attack down the line having spent no time with the kids. Kids don't see the future all they really see is the here and now and that is what they remember.

18. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

That is the truth for all of us, if we can only appreciate it - this moment is your life, it's important to remember what a gift that is.

19. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

well as a newcomer this topic sounds
    anti tms ..wich is confusing too
    if you have chronic pain and have
    problems walking..sitting..etc etc
    'simply start living' or 'go back to normal' etc is not a realistic thing: you can want too ofcourse but not possible.
    so things as: drop it all and start living' makes me somehow angry!
    god knows how much i want too
    and i think everone here
    if it was that simple: we all would be doing it
    today..

Karen, Sienna, Simplicity and 3 others like this.
  20. mike2014

Karina, I agree with your comment 100%. It does sound that way.

I think we shouldn't try and avoid the TMS work; there's alot of scientific weight behind alot of the healing modalities; meditation, journaling etc. We may get temporary relief by the distraction of 'living", but we aren't addressing the root cause. Nor have we worked through the process of becoming better at handling our stressors or reprogramming / strengthening our neural pathways.