1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Too many tools?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Bruce I agree with more tools, but in my opinion is that there is way to much info which I think is causing people to do them all and get frustrated and quit....I know I was victim to this. But again I rather be looking at it then looking for it.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In another thread, @BruceMC wrote,
    @Boston Redsox replied to say,
    While I am a Sox fan book threads are especially important to keep on-topic because people will look them up as a reference for the book. Therefore, I've moved the post to start it's own thread.

Cheers! Feel free to dive into the conversation. It's an important topic, and I'd love to hear people's thoughts on it.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi All,

This an excellent thread, similar to the one I saw a few months ago - I believe it was on the theme - can I work too hard to overcome TMS.

It's great that we have all of the mindbody books, cd's at our fingertips and I believe because it's still a relatively new concept and in its infancy, Medical Professionals and are still exploring techniques and the value they have on healing. Some books having stronger impact than others.

I agree that for someone who is healing, exploring and reading about all of the techniques can be somewhat stressful, overwheming and disheartening. I guess from my standpoint and probably many other TMS'ers too, we are very obsessed about healing so try everything, and should just focuss selecting a few techniques which we are comfortable witth and then wholehearttedly surrender to and practice these religiously.

In short, I would say too much information can be counter productive and hinder the healing process.

God bless,

Mike

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

But one of the main reasons people with TMS chase after each new book and each new therapy is because they're in pain and want to get out of it rather badly. It's no accident that people go running off in half a dozen different directions all at once.

5. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

If you're relatively new and/or struggling, focus on Dr. Sarno's writings. To me, those are the core - basic principals of this program. Stick to authors who have adopted Dr. Sarno's principals into their writing. Once you feel you have a very good grasp of that, you can start branching out. Beware of alternative programs that seem similar, but are not the same. There's too much snake-oil out there and too much BS (well intended, or not). Stick to what works.

My $.02 :)

Boston Redsox and Ellen like this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree that there may be "too many" tools out there for healing TMS, but figure that while they may not all work
    for everyone, one or some of them may work for others. The trick is not to become frustrated if one technique
    for healing doesn't work. The main thing is to work on the causes of TMS pain, and that is repressed emotions
    and/or a perfectionist and goodist personality.

Any TMS healing technique, it seems to me, should be combined with positive thinking, living in the present and
    not the past or future, and deep breathing. Plus a strong belief in TMS and prayer, asking God to help heal us.

7. James59

James59 Well known member

One of the problems of being in constant pain or discomfort is that it makes concentration difficult. And when there are so many choices, difficulty concentrating makes it very difficult to sort through all of the choices. For that reason I've tended to gravitate towards the simpler approaches, though I'm not sure if that's the best for me or not. Some of the more complex approaches just make my head spin.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

James, I am like you about the more complicated TMS healing techniques making my head spin.

I wrote a book with Herbie, GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN, about TMS healing and techniques to heal,
    but I did not follow many of his techniques because they were too complex for me.

I healed from back pain by believing 100 percent in TMS being the cause, journaled to discover my repressed emotions
    that went back to childhood, forgave everyone and myself, and did these main things: breathe deeply, live in the present
    and not in the past or future, tell myself positive affirmations, and laugh more. Some folks need or want more complicated
    techniques or programs for healing. I've always preferred "sweet and simple."

Boston Redsox likes this.