1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

2 Questions????

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fbcoach, Jul 1, 2016.

1. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

First, I want to thank the developers and all the supporters of such a fine forum. It is much appreciated. I, intellectually, believe in the TMS Theory, but still have some questions.

1) After ruling our serious injury or disease, am I correct in assuming that our Autonomic Nervous System is responsible for our aches, pains, nuances, etc..? It is being stimulated by our habitual emotional/psychological thoughts/inner chatter?

2) I understand some of the physiology (probably just enough to be dangerous) due to an educational background in Exercise Physiology. Would I be correct in assuming that slowing down the Sympathetic NS and stimulating the Parasympathetic NS would help with controlling TMS?
    )

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Both statements sound correct to me, but I'm not an expert of the physiology of TMS.

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

That's pretty much it. When the sympathetic is dominant, the allostatic load on the body not only wreaks havoc on the flesh but increasingly sensitises the brain to stress. It's a vicious cycle and one broken by the intervention of the PNS.

Here's a link, recently posted by Forest, to an excerpt from The Divided Mind that may help on a nitty gritty level:

People Spoon With Professional Cuddlers For The First Time

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Thank you Ellen.

Plum,
    That was an interesting read. From the very beginning of my TMS experience, I have said that my pain was neuro-chemically induced, affecting my Nervous System. I had my Facets cut out of my spine from C-2 thru the Thoracic due to a Football injury. Within 5 weeks I was lifting weights. Although I had severe pain after a 12 hour surgery, it subsided over the weeks of rest, then returned as I got back into my normal lifestyle. I had several MRIs over the years showing I am healed from my surgery. This read makes a lot of sense to me on so many levels. Thank you for sharing. Now, if I can learn the key to turning down my sympathetic NS and turning up the PNS.

plum likes this.
  5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You're welcome. Regarding keys to the PNS I have found pleasure to be by far the best, followed by Yin Yoga. There's oodles of stuff all over the forum on different ways and means of changing gear. Some folk favour a mind-directed approach, others (like myself) prefer a body-oriented one.

6. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

I prefer the body-oriented one myself. Again, thank you, and I will look into it.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, fbcoach. Looks to me like you just need a boost of belief in TMS. Don't let doubt take over. You've been told there is nothing structurally wrong that could cause your pain, so it has to be TMS from your emotions. If you haven't taken the Structured Educational Program, I suggest you try it... free in the subforum of this web site. It helps in discovering the emotions causing our pain.

8. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Engaging the PSN is only part of the process. You still have to make the connections through realization, and alter your perceptions or you will return to the old ways. Symptom subsiding does not mean true healing as long as fear remains.

Understanding TMS at the intellectual level is only the beginning, it doesn't exact the change. But it is the first step in the journey of transformation. When your unconscious accepts it, then your physiology begins to alter through its new perception.

Keep gathering knowledge for awhile, then stop gathering and live it. Beware of "knowledgeitis."

Good luck
    SO

jrid32, hecate105 and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It's all in the mind y'see.

10. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Thank you Walt.

Steve,
    Thank you for your expertise. I understand fully what you are saying. I went thru the SEP from January to March, and I was slowly making good progress. I was seeing week to week progress. The more I understood, the better I was feeling. I found myself pulling away from the forum, due to understanding that that was keeping my mind on the TMS and keeping me stuck. What I learned in the SEP was really sinking in and working for me.. THEN........ I had a major set-back, due to some issues in my 19yr old son's life about a week ago. I was just getting my emotions under control, then a nagging family member butted in and my stress compounded. I guess I am looking for ways to calm my Nervous System down, while undergoing this stressful situation. I would really appreciate your input. If you need more background info, I would be glad to supply it. As I have mentioned in my other posts, I had discovered some remarkable things about my TMS. Before this setback, I knew I was on the cusp of being a success story, but I knew deep inside I still had some convincing (myself) to do. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Another question: I have been taking a multi-vitamin/mineral pill with 150mgs of caffeine in it every morning for a long time. This gets me and keeps me going for the day. Sometimes it really helps me to overcome stress and fatigue, then a few times it seems to make me anxious. It seems to do me more good than harm, but I was just wondering if this is adding to my TMS or is it just something I fear?