1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

1 week with TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anshushakti, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Anshushakti

Anshushakti New Member

It has been more than 6 months with my chronic back pain. Before 6 months i was a happy bachelor. Pretty happy in my life, far from anger and anxiety and used to think there is nothing that i am worried about. But actually i got to know that i am very much afraid to diseases. Even if doctor says there is nothing wrong i will be stressed out and will be thinking entire day and night about my diseas . I got MRI done due to my fear ( no doctor suggested for MRI) and it showed disk space between L4-L5 is reduced but this problem is since my childhood. I visited 4-5 doctors and all suggested me to do low back/core strengthening exercise. But every time i start exercise my pain increase. I was very much astonished if L4-L5 disc space reduction was root cause of my pain i should get it since my childhood.
    Now i started thinking that most of the pain is in my mind as i was able to jog/walk. I never got pain while sleeping. I only used to get pain while sitting, mostly in office. Last week i discovered Dr Sarno's book which clearly explained about mind body interaction and i was fully convinced i have TMS. I resumed all my activities,started sitting on sofa, Playing cricket,lifting light weights in GYM. It has been 1 week. I am very happy to resume my activity. It's like i got 80% of my life back but at the same time i am feeling that after resuming the activities i pain is increasing every day. Today when i woke up i was pain free and i went to play cricket. After i returned i am seeing significant increase in pain. I am ignoring the pain but i am little bit discouraged and unhappy. I have tried everything and TMS is my last hope. I am pretty much sure my pain is nothing but TMS.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Anshushakt. You are doing the right thing in resuming exercise and being active at the gym, playing cricket, etc. Dr. Sarno says being active is a big part of healing from TMS pain. I hope you can stop worrying about disease or anything that shows up in an MRI. Disc problems may not cause pain,
    as Dr. Sarno says. The pain is real, but put there by your subconscious so you will discover the emotions causing it.

If you haven'g yet taken the Structured Educational Program, free in the subforum of this web site, I strongly recommend it. It will help you to discover the emotions causing your pain. Pains can become more intense or move around when we discover those harmful emotions. Then the subconscious lets the pain go.

I think you are doing real good and urge you to keep believing your symptoms are caused by TMS and are not structural.