1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Hummingbird
Last Activity:
Jun 11, 2021
Bookmarks:

Share This Page

Hummingbird

Peer Supporter, Female, from Canada

Almost one year later, back to all physical activities, pain free for the most part, the occasional flare-up. Emotional healing is my focus. Mar 14, 2018

Hummingbird was last seen:
Jun 11, 2021
  • My Story

I saw the 20/20 special on Sarno just under two weeks ago. I have been dealing with arm pain for 8 months. It started in one elbow and then went to the other. It then seized both arms where the pain moved around, but never left the elbows. It was mainly nerve pain, but also deep aching and hand weakness. I was sleeping with these pillow wraps I made for my arms for months. Clothes: shirts, coats, mitts drove me crazy and we were experiencing a harsh winter and so staying warm was very challenging. I could not type at all, I also love to write but that hurt also so I quit that too. I could not lift a pot full of water off the stove or carry a bag of groceries. I felt completely helpless. I was not able to work. I'd been to the doctor numerous times, then physiotherapy, and had recently been trying Sharon Butler's RSI program. I was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, then a pinched nerve in the neck and finally Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

When I saw the 20/20 video I went and got a book by Sarno that day. The book I found was Healing Back Pain. I was skeptical as I had arm pain, but I read it anyway. I saw myself in almost every aspect of the book. As for personality, I have spent my whole life trying to be better always. I can be relentless with self-improvement.

Three years ago I suffered an "injury" to my SI ligaments in my lower back. That is a whole other story but involves 3 years of giving up yoga, running, weightlifting and my believing the ligaments could never heal as that is what I was told by the medical professionals. I have modified how I sit and what I carry and everything I do around protecting my SI joint and ligaments. I have now come to realize that this is also TMS. TMS shows up for me in other ways as well; as digestive challenges, food intolerances, sensitive skin prone to breakouts and prior foot pain.

The nerve pain disappeared in my arms the week after I read the book, although some aches and twinges resurface here and there, I keep talking to my brain. I had some stomach pain come which I told to go away and it left as well. When my arms act up I tell the brain off, and the pain backs off. I slept 2 nights without pillows on my arms now.

Yesterday I did a yoga class and almost wept with joy. I believed I could never do yoga again. How I missed it. I remembered I once wanted to be a yoga teacher. My arms are so sore (muscles) from the exercise of yoga. They have not been used in 8 months. The beginner class was a great effort to them. I don't really care that they are sore, I know it will go away. I felt some fear for my SI joint with yoga, but I read some stories on the forum and know that it was the fear from the well-meaning medical professionals. I feel like yoga will help me heal as it soothes my soul. I feel like I am starting over in my life. I am in the early days of healing.

Update: A little over 1 year later. I am able to talk the TMS in my arms away whenever I feel it surface. The old "SI Injury" is a more recent challenge, although I know it is TMS, I often think perhaps I really did reinjure it this time (when the pain persists and I get frustrated.)

The biggest update is the journey down the rabbit hole of emotional healing. I have been led to discover trauma and CPTSD. I am healing from the inside out. The TMS flares as I discover more within, and yet as I re-apply the tools for healing they mostly subside.
    1. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      Almost one year later, back to all physical activities, pain free for the most part, the occasional flare-up. Emotional healing is my focus.
      1. Celestialstar and plum like this.
    2. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      3 weeks post reading Sarno's book, and I've spent the week mostly pain-free, up to an hour of beginner yoga and now am painting my kitchen!
      1. plum likes this.
    3. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      Old SI joint pain flared up for an hour, treated it as TMS AND IT LEFT! 3 years of babying that SI. So glad it's TMS and not for life!!!
    4. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      A big change for me, I used to sleep with these arm pillows, then I progressed to something less and last night slept with no support!
    5. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      I did 30 min of beginner yoga, the first time in 3 years. Yaaaay!
      1. butterfly_queen likes this.
    6. Hummingbird
      Hummingbird
      I am a newbie, just getting started on my healing journey. I read Sarno's Healing Back Pain 2 weeks ago.
  • My Story

Diagnoses:
    Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, Pinched nerve in neck, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, SI dysfunction, Digestive Issues & Food intolerances, Foot pain
    I saw the 20/20 special on Sarno just under two weeks ago. I have been dealing with arm pain for 8 months. It started in one elbow and then went to the other. It then seized both arms where the pain moved around, but never left the elbows. It was mainly nerve pain, but also deep aching and hand weakness. I was sleeping with these pillow wraps I made for my arms for months. Clothes: shirts, coats, mitts drove me crazy and we were experiencing a harsh winter and so staying warm was very challenging. I could not type at all, I also love to write but that hurt also so I quit that too. I could not lift a pot full of water off the stove or carry a bag of groceries. I felt completely helpless. I was not able to work. I'd been to the doctor numerous times, then physiotherapy, and had recently been trying Sharon Butler's RSI program. I was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, then a pinched nerve in the neck and finally Thoracic Outlet Syndrome.

When I saw the 20/20 video I went and got a book by Sarno that day. The book I found was Healing Back Pain. I was skeptical as I had arm pain, but I read it anyway. I saw myself in almost every aspect of the book. As for personality, I have spent my whole life trying to be better always. I can be relentless with self-improvement.

Three years ago I suffered an "injury" to my SI ligaments in my lower back. That is a whole other story but involves 3 years of giving up yoga, running, weightlifting and my believing the ligaments could never heal as that is what I was told by the medical professionals. I have modified how I sit and what I carry and everything I do around protecting my SI joint and ligaments. I have now come to realize that this is also TMS. TMS shows up for me in other ways as well; as digestive challenges, food intolerances, sensitive skin prone to breakouts and prior foot pain.

The nerve pain disappeared in my arms the week after I read the book, although some aches and twinges resurface here and there, I keep talking to my brain. I had some stomach pain come which I told to go away and it left as well. When my arms act up I tell the brain off, and the pain backs off. I slept 2 nights without pillows on my arms now.

Yesterday I did a yoga class and almost wept with joy. I believed I could never do yoga again. How I missed it. I remembered I once wanted to be a yoga teacher. My arms are so sore (muscles) from the exercise of yoga. They have not been used in 8 months. The beginner class was a great effort to them. I don't really care that they are sore, I know it will go away. I felt some fear for my SI joint with yoga, but I read some stories on the forum and know that it was the fear from the well-meaning medical professionals. I feel like yoga will help me heal as it soothes my soul. I feel like I am starting over in my life. I am in the early days of healing.

Update: A little over 1 year later. I am able to talk the TMS in my arms away whenever I feel it surface. The old "SI Injury" is a more recent challenge, although I know it is TMS, I often think perhaps I really did reinjure it this time (when the pain persists and I get frustrated.)

The biggest update is the journey down the rabbit hole of emotional healing. I have been led to discover trauma and CPTSD. I am healing from the inside out. The TMS flares as I discover more within, and yet as I re-apply the tools for healing they mostly subside.