1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Wisdom tooth pain after TN went away

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Patrisia, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Hi guys,

I was on this forum initially because of my atypical trigeminal neuralgia. I started the TMS work and followed @plum 's advice and the pain on my left side (where it was) is 95% gone. For 3 days now (ever since my TN got much better) I have been dealing with an inflammed/very painful wisdom tooth on my right side. I had a very minor flare up of this tooth in February (when my TN first started) but it went away. This is the second time I have it. The gum in the area is painful and I know I need to have it extracted BUT I was wondering if this is not a symptom imperative as I find strange that this all started when I was finally able to get rid of the TN after 6 months.
    So confused! Also - I am doing salt water rinses etc. but it's not calming down.

2. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Any ideas?

3. embodydami

embodydami New Member

Hey! So I had something kind of similar happen. I had a 2.5 month straight headache / migraine. At the time I didn't make the connection it was TMS. When I finally realized I could free myself from it and did some work around re- identifying as someone who is healthy, I got my pain to go away. 2 weeks later I make an appointment at the dentist because it had been a while and I figured I had some work to be done. Nothing in specific brought me in, I wasn't having tooth pain or anything. They did a check, didn't even do a cleaning or anything. 2 days after the check up, I start having insane pain in my lower left molar. I thought "either that is crazy timing, or my brain just picked a new spot to focus pain because I went looking for something to fix!" I couldn't have made it more easy for the TMS... The tooth that was having pain did need work done and I ended up getting sucked back into the physical trap and getting a whole root canal done. Crazy thing is even after the root was literally out of my mouth, I was still having such intense pain for a couple months. My doctors were s0 confused and told me I shouldn't be feeling any pain past the initial soreness after the procedure. I think my brain 100% just picked a new spot that I called attention to because it would be easy to believe, and it WAS! I probably could've gotten the root canal done and had no long lasting pain had I realized this was the TMS trying to trick me again. I also did deep thinking as to why that type of pain - my mother has had really bad tooth and gum issues, probably her worst health struggle. Her and I had a very distant, damaged relationship and I think this pain pattern was a call to reconnect with her, because it was something she could help me with and that would recreate a bond. I hope this helps in anyway! I would talk to your brain and be like "okay nice try, but i don't buy it! " My tooth randomly started hurting the other week- after I had willed away a different headache the day before, and I literally laughed and said "nice try", and the tooth pain vanished within an hour or two.

4. embodydami

embodydami New Member

You very well may need to get the wisdom tooth removed BUT that doesn't mean you have to have pain manifest from it!

5. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

@embodydami you are totally right! I posted this a while ago but it was TMS! The moment I stopped focusing on it it started to disappear and then puff it was gone. I knew that if its a physical problem, with salt water rinses it should be gone in 3 days and no more. Anything past that is not an inflammed gum around the tooth but a TMS.

Also! I did get my trigeminal neuralgia in the same spot where they placed my crown. I am just now getting better. I suffered from it since February and didn't start getting better until August when I recognized it's TMS!

6. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I just went through a switcheroo deal like that. Right side of Jaw was Killing me (angry at son) to left side (angry at GF).

I went for a follow-up to the Doc who did my root canal (my tooth was disintegrating...albeit painfree for years)

She wanted to make sure I was 'painfree' before they Ok'd me to get the tooth capped. I had been painfree for a couple weeks when she stuck her finger in my jaw and I flinched... not from the tooth but from that muscle/ligament that closes your jaw (masseter I think?) It's a tender spot right where my face skin meets the hard jaw and i can feel the little 'rubber band' like thing in there sore

Since I haven't had any biting/eating issues but it's painful on 'palpation' that stinks very highly of TMS. TMS works by ischemia and Sarno called certain points 'zone of depletion' and 'trigger points'. Just like there still is some tender spots on my back after 20 years of being painfree, I can't help but wonder if my Jaw pain isn't the same thing but the zone of depletion is that little guy right there...it is actually on my face and not on the jaw at all. TMS is always a 'regional' process

The pain ceased when my GF and I resolved our differences and I became conscious of how much my son is pissing me off... the fact that there is still a tender spot seems to be more consistent with TMS than any tooth issue.