1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Why am I still in pain? Why doesn't it work?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by tattvamasi, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Zumbafan

Zumbafan Well known member

I wonder if you are holding onto guilt?
    The let go of it poem sums it all up, fancy you knowing that already.
    Thank you for posting it.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi James,

I can really relate to what you write. I feel I learned everything I needed to know to live a happy, peaceful, pain-free life when I first studied the Course in Miracles. It was all there. However, this was over 30 years ago, and I wasn't able to apply what I learned to my life in any kind of consistent way, and went on to develop TMS and struggle with it for decades.

What I find helpful now, is to view all these thoughts and behaviors that are the opposite of letting go (rumination, worry, anxiety, judgement, attachment, etc) as habits. Like any bad habit, such as over-eating or nail biting, etc, we know consciously that it is not good for us, but the learned neural pathways that turn a behavior into a habit are very strong and difficult to change. It takes awareness and then consistent repetition of a new behavior to overcome these old habits. Every time we stop ourselves from indulging in those old ways of thinking, is a step in the right direction toward letting go, and the freedom that can be found there. It's a daily struggle for me, but hopefully it will get easier and more automatic over time.

AC45, readytoheal and Yinlin like this.
  3. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

Tattvasami, you sound like a grand master rather than a new member. You are very wise. I first heard about Dr Sarno on April 8th this year and threw myself into journalling for about 7 weeks. My 'inner voice' told me I then had to take a break from searching for the exact reasons for tms and instead focus on relaxing, meditating, loving myself and loving life. I recognized I was trying to perfect journalling. Now my inner voice has lead me back to journalling again. I started Dr Schubiner's 4 week program yesterday and it is good.
    Namaste.

James59 likes this.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

I wanted to bump this thread, this answer will help a lot of you. One of my favorite answers.

gipfel65 and jrid32 like this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

This was a excellent right up and I feel dead on I would like to hear from somebody else regarding this post

6. EileenS

Amen, amen, amen. This is so true and I needed this reminder today. I haven't been on this forum since last year and since then I have delved into other things that all have the mind as the route of the problem. I am now able to relax my body at will by calming my mind. I am even taking a practitioners training program in which one of the philiosophies is, emotions are all just energy and no different from each other. I should add that I have gotten rid of all but minor discomfort in doing so ( it was incapacitating 3 years ago), but have had something bothersome since yesterday. I had to go on antibiotics 2 days ago and have been internet researching prebiotics, debating upping my probiotics, etc, etc so ibs doesn't return. Boy did I need to read this again because I was just telling someone yesterday morning that my pain started melting away quickly when I was able to stop focusing on it and fighting it. Thank you Boston Redsox. You are a Grand Eagle.

7. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

A huge thank you tattmavasi. You have certainly turned on the lightbulb for me. Your post has described me to a t. I have been told several times by two different therapists that I 'try too hard' also by my husband who observers me closely. I get scared that if I stop trying I will get worse and this thought alone keeps me trying all combinations to try and find the right mix.
    I make myself walk two miles every morning whatever the weather be it howling winds and rain or very high temp and humidity because I know my body needs to move. I also walk in the afternoon even if I am tired. I just feel I have to keep going.
    I will try to 'let go' but just note what I have written 'I will TRY to let go. I have never ever let go of anything all my life, always pushing forward come what may.
    Again, many, many thanks for enlightening me and helping me to see this is a new way for me to look at my life.

juderocketqueen and plum like this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Letting go, acceptance, floating (like a balloon we have let go of), and my personal favourite, surrender, all describe at their heart relaxation. This is why I speak of a feminine, yin approach to healing which is in stark contrast to pushing through, fighting, challenging and other yang approaches.

In essence the fighting-talk is the self-same language used by allopathic doctors. We wage a war on cancer, battle disease, follow doctors orders and heaven help us, even in TMS protocol we are apparently dealing with defense mechanisms! The exact same perspective, the exact same lens of perception...and people wonder why they go nowhere.

Enough.

More anon.

9. EileenS

Plum, I'm intrigued by what you said, especially, "]This is why I speak of a feminine, yin approach to healing[/QUOTE] Do you speak more of this feminine yin approach somewhere else on this forum?

Mad likes this.
  10. Mad

Mad Peer Supporter

Do you speak more of this feminine yin approach somewhere else on this forum?[/QUOTE]

I would also like to hear more!

11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

@EileenS and @Mad (I appreciate the irony of your username my dear), I am crafting something at the moment that will embrace the feminine. If you like I can give you both a friendly nudge when it's up.

Much love,

Plum x

Mad likes this.
  12. EileenS

That would be great. Thanks Plum.

13. AC45

AC45 Well known member

What a great write up! Thank you!

14. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Never seen this thread before. Excellent stuff indeed.

15. cirrusnarea

cirrusnarea Well known member

Tried that to no real success.

16. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

What a great topic ! And so true to me.
    The fight - fight personality i reconize so well. Also others told me. Letting go is the big issue.
    To go with the flow and not ressist .. so diffucult .
    The main question for anyone in pain should perhaps not be 'what can i do ' but must become 'what should i stop what i am doing
    Hard hard hard
    But thank for this great post
    Karina

17. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

Everything here. And This:

"Let go of it.
    Let go of everything.
    You will not lose anything.
    But you will no longer be responsible for it.
    God will be, and always was."

In the last few years I have come to be a Pantheist. All is God; us, all energy and matter. We are consciousness in form having experiences.

We are ALL fine. Everything is fine. Always was. I need to paste this into my head when I fret and worry. I am the goodist and often I try SO hard. I read 3 of Sarno's books and Steve O's too and then drove like gangbusters thru the SEP and then realized that wasn't the best approach. Then I worked like mad to make it thru the fall semester. Anxiety and pain went up.

Like another poster said, I need to just chill. Everything is fine and it always was.

AC45 likes this.
  18. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

A verse from a guided meditation by Tara Brach seems most appropriate here and I find on saying it meaningfully over and over my brain does let go and I feel totally relaxed. This is a definite plus for me.

Let go of what has passed.
    Let go of what may come.
    Let go of what is happening now.
    Don't try to figure anything out, don't try to make anything happen,
    Just let go, relax and rest.

Another of her quotes is ;
    Let life live through you,
    Our only intention to be not opposing, not controlling
    Just allowing life to be just as it is.

Tara Brach practises Buddhism

Warm wishes to you all.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    Ellen and westb like this.
  19. Zerkon

Zerkon New Member

Thank you all. Very helpful.

20. AC45

AC45 Well known member

Hello All,

After doing pretty well for a while, my insomnia and some anxiety / depression have been back with a vengeance over the holidays. Our holidays have been good - nothing obvious is wrong. This thread has been useful to me to reread during this time. I need to just accept things as they are. The insomnia and the racing heart / anxiety are all due to TMS. I actually had minor chest pain in my left side yest yesterday. To my dismay, my doctor insisted I go to an emergency room. After an EKG and blood work, they found nothing. So, like you said above - accept things as they are.

Thank you!
    AC45