1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Which book to read next? How do they differ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ValVal, Jul 4, 2013.

1. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

I read Sarno's Healing Back Pain & The MindBody Prescription. I have a few books on my read list and was wondering how they differ? I am feeling much better but am interested in reading more about TMS.

*Pathways to Pain Relief (Frances Sommer Anderson)
    *Unlearn your Pain (Schubiner)
    *The Great Pain Deception (Steve Ozanich)

Thanks so much!

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

I think it's more a matter of reinforcing this information in your brain so I'm not sure it matters which you read next. Can't comment on the books you mention, but could add many more good ones to that list!

Read which one you're drawn to next.

Dr. Sarno also has a newer book than those two great books you mention, which also contains valuable information.

The point is to reinforce this new information--daily!

Best wishes

3. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

The Presence Process was recommended by Dr. Sarno but it's not directly about TMS.

4. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I've got so many books about TMS on my Kindle I've lost count of them and it really is a double edged sword. I think it's Monte Hueftle who warns against getting to hung up on the concept of TMS and spending hours and hours researching it and reading about...that is just another distraction.

I'm the worlds worse for this and I have rationalised and intellectualised the concept of TMS to death...I think it's true that you only ever really need to read Sarno and then do the work, the concept is simplicity in its self but I know I have to research and information gather to see if people have the exact same symptoms and get cured still...it can so easily lead to information paralysis. This of course may not be applicable to you but I'm just highlighting how the constant book reading etc didn't really help me as I'm still struggling myself. I think all the while we read etc we are looking outside of ourselves when this really is an inside job.

Having said all that, lol...I do recommend Steve O's book as its an interesting read even outside of the TMS theory when he talks about memes and how we are now fed constant myths and mistruths about our health is all interesting stuff. I have to say I think it's a tad too long and convoluted in places and could do with a bit of an edit but its the best book I've read about TMS/stress illness and even general health perception in a long time.

5. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

Thanks! Yes, I don't want to get obsessed with book reading... especially since I'm doing so much better. I thought if there were one or two others that may read differently than Sarno it might be interesting or helpful.

Thanks again!

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Reading TMS books are a great way to gain knowledge, but, as Lori and Huckleberry mentioned, it can also become the thing that distracts you from your emotions. In the Alan Gordon Recovery program Alan writes, "To emphasize, your TMS symptoms themselves aren’t serving as a distraction from painful unconscious emotions, it’s the fear and preoccupation around the pain that is serving as this distraction." A common trap that we run into is to focus on the TMS treatment itself (reading books, journaling, meditating) that distracts us from being present with our emotions. This does not mean that you can't read mutliple books. If you find the material interesting (like so many of us do) then feel free to continue reading, but I would suggest to pay attention to the level of acceptance you have.

As for the books, all three of the ones you mentioned are terrific, and offer different things. Unlearn Your Pain is written by a doctor and offers it's own daily TMS program for people to use. If you are looking for activities to do each day, then you will enjoy it. Pathways to Pain Relief is written by two of Dr. Sarno's most trusted psychotherapists, and provides an in depth look at the psychology behind TMS, that only two therapists could do. It doesn't have specific treatment techniques, but is enlightening about the reasons TMS develops. The Great Pain Deception is different from the other two in that it was written by a former TMS sufferer, Steve Ozanich. It covers a lot of material and contains a very moving recovery story. I am always a huge fan of reading people's success stories, and I found Steve's book to be very intriguing.

What sort of TMS book are you looking for? For more info on these books you can search for them on our site. There are a lot of posts and pages about each of these, as well as some podcasts where we discuss chapters in these books.

ValVal likes this.
  7. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Unlearn Your Pain comes with a Mindfulness meditation CD. You will learn the three principles of mindful thinking, noticing emotions/feelings/sensations, accepting them as they are, letting them go. You will learn mindful self-compassion and dialog with your subconscious mind. Mindfulness is the closing chapter of TMS healing.

ValVal likes this.