1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What style of journaling has taught you the most about yourself?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Beach-Girl, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I just saw this suggestion for journaling (briefly mentioned) on a webpage about somatic experiencing, which I thought might be an approach that could appeal to and be helpful for some of us:

"Journal with Sensations. If you keep a journal, make a note of the bodily sensations that came up before, during, and after the events describe as well as thoughts, emotions, images, and behaviours." - from http://courage-counseling.com/somatic-experiencing-self-help-tips/ (8 Self Help Tips from Somatic Experiencing Trauma Therapy - Courage Counseling, PLLC)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Lainey likes this.
  3. eightball776

eightball776 Well known member

The irony is that I think part of the problem is that I get stuck in my perfectionism tendencies & wind up writing a novel with perfect sentence structure & far too much detail. You'd think I was preparing it for publication! When it's all said & done I think my main problem is prioritization - I just need to start putting this & other activities designed to target the mental-health aspect of this whole mishigas higher up on the list than the general mundane to-do list items that I use to distract myself from the activities/issues that are more difficult & maybe a little scary to confront. One day at a time.

4. [NameRedacted]

[NameRedacted] New Member

This is turning into a big thread, but I just want to say I gave this dialog with myself format a go, and actually really liked it. Not sure how the book laid it out, but I was sort of writing it as if it was two people conversing.

Thanks

5. plafield

plafield New Member

I was an avid journaler for over 30 years but about 8 years ago I really tapered off and almost stopped entirely. I had done many years of therapy and over 2 decades of 12 step recovery and I felt so much less interested in tracking my emotional life than I had been. I was writing a lot of poetry and very busy professionally, my kids were grown and gone and I felt very little stress day to day (or so I thought!) After I developed coccydynia and realized I had TMS, after my initial resistance I got back to journaling and it's amazing how helpful it's been. I read Schubinre's book and am doing the SEP here and have found the web journaling, free writing, unsent letters, and dialogue writing all extremely helpful. I'm not at all sure now why I stopped journaling to begin with, although I do still sometimes get inpatient with all the navel gazing. But of course I know how important self-examination is! I'm a counseling psychologist for Pete's sake.

Lainey likes this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Plafield,

Sooooooo timely. Writing has Always offered me release. Thanks for the reminder. I too was a counselor, now retired. For Pete’s sake,,,........

Kindly
    Lainey

plafield likes this.