1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What is your experience with the 4-7-8 breath?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aurora, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Aurora

Aurora Peer Supporter

What is your experience with the 4-7-8 breath? I read that if you practice it daily that time it will help you stay more relaxed. I feel like right now my body is always on alert for the next sign of danger and I’ve been using this breath as a way to cope throughout the day for the past few days.

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

its really excellent. I use it if I'm ever waiting in traffic or in a shop for example.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I use it often and find it soothing and calming in the moment. However, I am unable to say whether or not it works in the long term to generally make me a calmer, more relaxed person.

4. Mala

Mala Well known member

This is a form of form of pranayama which Andrew Weil has made famous & it is very effective. It has a very quick & relaxing effect on the body & can be used anytime you feel that u need to calm yrself. Not only does it have immediate effects but if u sit & practise this kind of breathing twice a day regularly, u will see some long term benefits too. It has a profound effect on the parasympathetic nervous system which means less anxiety, better sleep, & more oxygen to various parts of the body.

Twice a day for 5 minutes is pretty good. Maybe in the morning after u wake up & just before u go to bed.

Mala

BruceMC and Forest like this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I forgot about the twice a day routine. Thanks for the reminder, @Mala

Mala likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I actually do the deep breathing even more often, as I need it to relieve any emotional stress.
    Sometimes I just do what others suggest... 4-4-4, but the 4-7-8 seems to be what is most recommended.

I feel calm right away from deep breathing. Every article or book or video on relaxation says deep breathing
    is the number one way to calm down. Five minutes of deep breathing with eyes closed while meditating... just focusing on the breathing...
    is what lots of stress-relief practitioners recommend. I like to do it while listening to calming music.