1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 20 What I would change about my life

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by clive, Jun 6, 2013.

1. clive

clive New Member

I would probably either be in a well paid enough job to be able to pay for things like psychotherapy when I needed them or else my everyday work would be in this area; rather than being caught between two stools as I am.

But hey what am I doing at the moment with little money: I am working things out for myself with the help of others - so I suppose I am getting psychotherapy and I am kind of working in this area by taking a DIY approach to psychotherapy.

Cheers

Clive

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Stella

Stella Well known member

I am in the same situation as you and do feel at no cost I learned more about myself here on the wiki than a life time of therapy.

3. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I completely agree with you Stella! Not 6 even 6 months ago I started the SEP. I was completely convinced that I was a physical, mental, emotional wreck that would require a team of experts to repair. And I had a whole collection of physical experts, to the extent that I followed their advice and left my job, leaving me financially unable to add any experts of the psychological nature. 10-15 years ago I was able to afford psychological therapy and I had several years of CBT for depression/anxiety. A lot of good it did me, when I needed them most, all those "skills" were no where to be found, and it didn't keep the depression/anxiety from escalating into TMS.

I can certainly see the benefits of psychotherapy and if the financial resources are there I may enter treatment again some day. When, and if I do it will be a completely different experience for me. I will actually be an active partner rather than a passive patient expecting to sit on a couch while someone "fixes" me. I will actually be able to identify the areas where I feel I could benefit from another perspective AND I will enter a type of therapy that is most likely to benefit me. Before I found this site I thought all therapy was the same, the progress was just determined by your repore with your therapist. Now that I know there are almost 100 different types of psychological therapy and that not every one works for every person, I will be a much better educated patient and consumer.