1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What I learned when I stopped talking about the pain.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ann Miller, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Ann Miller

Ann Miller Well known member

Early in the pain recovery process, I read over and over that I should stop talking about the pain. It’s in multiple books and podcasts on the subject, so being the good little student that I am, I took that to heart and immediately stopped all pain discussions. I remember telling my husband that I was going to stop talking about symptoms but he was not to assume that I didn’t have any just because I wasn’t talking about them. LOL

But I learned some valuable lessons when I completely stopped talking about my pain. I’d like to share them below in the hopes of inspiring you to go on your own journey into self discovery.

I remember having to bite my tongue many many times a day at first. Certainly 20+ times a day. I hadn’t realized just how often I was sending myself reinforcement that I was in pain until I stopped. Suffice it to say, between my family, friends, or random strangers, I was just in the habit of complaining about pain. “How are you?” “oh, you know, my back is killing me, but other than that….” OOPS! Nope.
    It was eye opening and illuminating and not just a little embarrassing.

I also realized how often I used my pain as an excuse to get out of something. Whether it was additional work, a volunteer task, or babysitting the grandchild, my pain was my reason to say, “No.” Realizing how often I used this as an excuse was humbling. Previously, I had been HIGHLY offended at the idea that my pain served a purpose. I had to gradually learn to set boundaries in healthy ways instead using symptoms as my escape route.

I was shocked at how I used my pain as social lubricant. It was a great conversation piece with acquaintances, co-workers, online community, etc. It was an instant connection. And I got sympathy, shared ideas on treatments, or just plain old understanding. I see this pretty often in the tms coaching world and I always try to gently point out to others that while the immediate connection feels validating, the long term reinforcement of pain signals as a path to acceptance is not going to help anyone get pain free.

I learned to talk about my emotions more. Because physical pain sensations were off the table, when someone inquired about how things were going with me, I was left with the option of either a short, curt “just fine” type of response, or an honest answer that included emotions, both joyous and sad. Plot twist. This helped all sorts of relationships. When we share ourselves emotionally, even just a tiny bit, we allow others to do the same. Win-win.

I took a much needed step away from monitoring the pain. When no longer able to discuss symptoms, why bother really looking at them all that much. It’s not that the pain wasn’t there, but I did get a needed step toward indifference. And that was HUGE!

Mostly though, I saw how self identified I was with my symptoms. I didn’t like admitting this to myself, but when I finally did, I started to heal rapidly. I am not a “fibro person,” scoliosis survivor” or a “migraine sufferer.” I am a feeling human who is three dimensional, experiences an array of emotions and offers self compassion for them all. This was my way out. This was my ultimate landing spot out of chronic pain. The pain could go away because it served absolutely no purpose any longer.
    www.pathsbeyondpain.com

MickeyLou, TrustIt, westb and 4 others like this.
  2. Booble

Booble Well known member

I really enjoyed reading this.
    It's funny how it feels like we need to let others know when we are in discomfort. Like it would be hiding something if we didn't tell them.

Your self awareness through the process is commendable. I really appreciate how you recognized that it was part of your identity as well as your built-in excuse. It's wonderful to hear of the positive benefits that came from not talking about it and how that lead to not thinking about it.
    Particuarly this part, "When no longer able to discuss symptoms, why bother really looking at them all that much."
    Eye opening!

Now if I could stay saying, "What's the smell?" forty million times a day. :)

Cap'n Spanky and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Ann Miller

Do you have phantom smells? That was one of my more bizarre symptoms.

4. Booble

Booble Well known member

No, just regular smells.
    For some reasons smells really bother me and I find myself constantly saying, "What's that smell?" while wrinkling my nose.

I was sort of joking above as I've never thought about it being part of TMS but now that we're talking there definitely could be something there to explore. Especially as they often make me feel yukky.

5. Ann Miller

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh yeah, phantom smells - check. :rolleyes:
    Sometimes it could be oversensitivity, but other times I'm quite sure it's pure TMS brain games.

Ann Miller likes this.
  7. Booble

Booble Well known member

Ok, so I decided to write and dig deep into the smells thing yesterday. There's definitely something there and more to continue to uncover. I can always tell that I'm getting close to the heart of things when I'm writing and I suddenly get overwhelmingly tired. Like to the point where I feel like I need to close my eyes and go to sleep. I think that's a signal that I'm trying to shut down and not get to whatever comes next. I stayed at it.

Ann Miller likes this.
  8. Ann Miller

Such great work there... watching the clues in your body. Well done

9. Booble

Booble Well known member

Thank you, Ann. I appreciate the encouragement.

Ann Miller likes this.