1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

All the Rage Film What crazy things have you done to manage pain!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Caroline Rumur, Aug 1, 2014.

1. tarala

tarala Well known member

Mine isn't crazy because it really did help, but it still makes me laugh. When I was having pain walking I would recall one of Steve O's chapters in Great Pain Deception where he talks about starting to walk. I would imagine him coming up behind me, hunched over like Quasimodo and dragging one leg behind him as he passed me by. Then he would fall to all fours and crawl on down the road ahead of me, disappearingin into the distance. It gave me a good laugh and made me feel like my pain was insignificant.

yb44, Ellen, Forest and 1 other person like this.
  2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

North Star, I've known a fair number of cutters, mostly teenage foster kids. It reduces the emotional pain they are feeling. Some don't feel a thing, for sure; others do feel pain and enjoy it. Some people get tattoos for the same reason. I don't like pain, personally, :arghh: but have noticed that pain you know is helping is feels a lot better than pain that seems pointless. Maybe that's how some cutters are: cutting makes them feel better emotionally so it seems well worth it.

I'll try to read up on Dr. Schubiner's approach, thanks. I've learned about "body modification" through looking up articles on cutting. That's really hard to wrap my head around. The world is getting more bizarre all the time although it's always been a very weird place.

Forest and North Star like this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

That is hilarious, Tarala! I love that! Funny is always good. :)

Njoy, Dr. S's approach focuses on retraining the brain to get it away from the fear and pain centers of the brain to the dorsal lateral prefrontral cortex - the part of the brain that quiets pain. No quick fix, that's for sure.

This world has gone nuts. I especially feel for the kids…especially the ones you describe.

Forest likes this.
  4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

I looked for Dr. Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain on amazon.ca (unfortunately, it's not there yet, annoying!) and I'm too cheap to buy it off his website where shipping to Canada adds an extra $20 to the cost. For what? Even amazon sellers only charge $6.49 to ship a book from the US. Anyway, I have at least half the tms books in the world on my Kindle (and quite a few hardback/paperback tms books, as well) and really must be sensible, for once. My next major purchase will be an electronic mosquito/black fly/no-see-um killer. Usually, bug season is over by now but we've had a lot of rain and they are still swarming. Definitely makes me more susceptible to the itchies.

Here's a fascinating thread with comments on all sides of the issue of "delusions of parasitosis":
    http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2011/05/18/still-more-evidence-that-morgellons-di

I'd post there except comments are closed temporarily and I'd say, "I don't care what you call it, I want it fixed!" :grumpy:

5. Caroline Rumur

Caroline Rumur Well known member

Thank you all for posting! And sharing with me your stories, it means a lot! :) Marie is making another comic based on your posts... coming soon...

mike2014-There really are so many products out there to "help", it's crazy. But the best product is a book! Oh I like the superhero idea! And his superpower would be telling people to express their true emotions? I will ask Marie what she thinks. And I will certainly take a look at the other thread when I get a chance! Thanks for asking me! :D

Eric "Herbie" Watson- What an incredible story! Wow!

yb44- HAHAHAHA This is so funny!!!! :D That sounds great for a funny cartoon.

Cap'n Spanky-Oh my goodness!! I can't believe he would prescribe that!!

jazzhands-That's insane! Crazy this is becoming popular, I think there are a lot of people who need to read Sarno's books!

Forest-Wow! This gadget looks like something from a science fiction movie!!!! They look pretty cool for an awesome scifi costume! Wow Forest thats crazy about these gloves too! I'm sorry you had this pain :( I'm so glad you found about about Sarno!!!

Walt-I'm so glad you found out about TMS!

North Star-Wow-amethyst mattress covers? That's so crazy! Oh no!! That's terrible you had to endure that kind of treatment. :( So glad you found out about TMS! And that picture! hahaha wow for $700 too? Incredible

Ellen- What an amazing story you have! I'm sorry you had to go through that!! It's wonderful you found out about TMS!

njoy-I hope she will be open to Sarno's theories!

6. Caroline Rumur

Caroline Rumur Well known member

tarala- Thats such great imagery!! :)