1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Welcome to the Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A subforum

Discussion in 'Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A' started by Forest, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

A group of TMS therapists from the Pain Psychology Center (PPC) in Los Angeles, CA has offered to volunteer their time to answer questions related to the new TMS podcast, "Tell Me About Your Pain" on our forum.

Through his work in the Boulder Pain Study (which we helped support), Alan has continued to refine his clinical approach and the podcast represents his newest ideas. He is very excited about the podcast and feels it represents his best work yet.

Via our "Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A" program, your question will be assigned to a PPC therapist. Their response, along with your original question, will then be posted publicly in the Tell Me About Your Pain Q&A subforum.

Anyone can submit a question by clicking here:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forms/ask-a-question.4/respond (Ask A Question | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome))

The more questions we have the better this resource will be, so please submit your questions! In fact, if you see anyone else who needs help, please encourage them to submit their questions as well. This is a free service, and I am very grateful to Alan and the therapists for offering their time and expertise.

Warmly,
    Forest

nowa minarden and plum like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, this is fabulous news. Thank you for your continued nurturance of this safe space and for creating such a beautiful legacy for Sarno’s work.

I hope life is being beyond kind to you, you deserve every sweet moment along the way.

plum x

Kellso, nowa minarden and Forest like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Forest,

Thanks to you and Allen and his staff for creating yet another way to help folks here! Sending support your way for all you've done and do.

Well put!!

Andy

plum and nowa minarden like this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for your kind word, Plum! I don't get to participate in the forum as much as in the past (or hopefully as much as in the future), but I always love "hearing" your beautiful voice when I return. Likewise, Andy, your steady advice is very well appreciated. I wish you both the very best in return. Thank you for all of the support you offer.

To anyone else reading this - if you come across anyone else who you think my benefit from submitting their question, please send them this way!

plum and nowa minarden like this.
  5. Nari

Nari New Member

Hi there I've just recently joined this forum and needed help! I initially had a niggle in my right ankle in February this year. I was seen by a doctor who examined me and thought I had a herniated disc. He recommended a wall glide exercise along with physio referral. The physio advised the same exercise and my pain increased to my foot, calf, hop/pelvis and lower back. I also had chiro treatment to no avail. The pain was so bad. I started reading Dr Sarno and initially accepted the diagnosis but still was having treatment before I cancelled all physical treatment. I am now journalling, meditating and trying to stand and walk which is very difficult, and has been like that for a few months. I am so sure I am 100% TMS but my mind keeps on saying but the physio exercises made it worse! Can you recommend what I can do about this? I can feel that it's my nerves and muscle tension. I have never had an MRI, scan or X ray.

6. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Nari,

The exercises you did are harmless ....it's the fear you have about them and the thoughts you have about them and the meaning you give to them, that activate danger signals in your brain. You pain is stemming from the brain and a neural circuit issue so there is no point in going to PT's or chiros who just reinforce the message that there is something physically wrong with you that needs to be "fixed". The key is to eliminate these fears and false beliefs you have about your symptoms. TMS is an anxiety issue so the focus has to shift away from the body to emotions and thoughts. I would recommend that you start engaging in your life in a normal way and slowly start doing things you enjoy like regular exercise or taking walks and just normal activities. You can do this gradually to challenge your fears and gain confidence in the process. The more you do this, the more you train your brain out of those neural circuit loops. Lose the fear and you lose the symptoms.

Northwood likes this.
  7. Nari

Nari New Member

8. Nari

Nari New Member

Thank you Miffybunny for the reassurance! I am learning that it's my neural pathways, and to get away from it being due to a physio! I am trying every day to do normal things. The most difficult for me is to stand or walk for more than 2 minutes, but slowly I will regain this.

miffybunny likes this.
  9. miffybunny

Yes, I completely understand! I was bedridden at one point but if you stay on this path you will get to the finish line.

10. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Just want to add my thanks as well. This site and these forums are a wonderful resource and support. As I deal with my symptoms I'm grateful to be able to be a member of this community. It's consoling to get to know so many caring people and to follow their stories--and share a bit.

11. marco

marco New Member

I asked a question but sadly no reply

12. miffybunny

I'm sorry that happened. Try re posting your question. Maybe members can give you some feedback...

13. marco

marco New Member

Hi @miffybunny
    I sent my question to the PPC aswell
    Don't they answer to my question?

Marco

14. marco

marco New Member

@miffybunny This was my message, also posted in the ultimate guide to somatic tracking;
    Hi Allan
    I wonder if somatic tracking is something for me to try. I have a chronic disorder named MHE of Multiple Ostechondromas. It is a skeletondisorder that roufly said couses exostoses to my skeleton. These exostoses can cause pain when they pushing of muscles or nerves.
    Untill my 50th year i had never chronic pain due this condition. In 2014 I had a churgery where one exostose was removed out of my pelvis. After that -for me a trauma when it happened - I begin to get pain while sitting. I had many MRI and other investigations but they never found anything that could be linked to my pain while (prolonged) sitting.
    I read a lot about TMS and did paintests on several websites (Schubiner, Buglio). They all came as a result TMS. Now I wonder if these symptoms are TMS, condition responses or something like that because the pain is present while seated but not while standing or walking.
    Do you have an advice to go further with in a attempt to reduce or heal my symptoms? I can tell that my pain now is much lower as it started back in 2014/15
    It was always left but now I'm beginning to have symptoms on the right side as well

Hope to hear
    Marco

15. golden

golden New Member

hi!
    I was just thinking yesterday how good my back felt and how it had been one year since my last terrible TMS low back flare up and just lifted something an boom, the pain is back. Any feedback welcome! Don’t want to go through this again. Could my though be that powerful!?

16. Krmzydn

Krmzydn Newcomer

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I am experiencing many symptoms. Pain, dizziness, stinging, burning, joint muscle pain, skin contact and the hardest thing for me is tinnitus and hyperacusis... It's been 2 months since I started TMS application. The pressure and ringing in my ears and head increased a lot and this caused me to stay at home again. Anyone have any advice?

17. regathers

regathers Newcomer

Hi, I am really happy to join this group and have read Dr Sarno's book. 15 years ago I was diagnosed with the usual, herniated discs, degenerate disc disease etc. After numerous test they could not replicate the pain and I healed in my mind. 6 weeks ago all hell broke lose with pain in the lower back and into the side of the buttocks. Excruciating while sitting. I have tried to put it out of mind and carry on exercising. After week 1 I thought I had done it then woke-up the next day with extreme pain.
    I am a little confused if it is actual muscular strain and exercise is aggravating it again or its TMS. Any advise on this would be very welcomed