1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Vision - eyesight improvement

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Peggy, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Has anyone here tried to improve their eyesight with Dr. Bates methods? I was diagnosed as having early stages of cataracts this summer and I am 49. I never thought much about my eyes before. I have been wearing glasses for maybe 5 years for reading. I have read Dr. Bates book and find him quite revolutionary. From what I understand, if you relax your eyes you can see better, which is spot on with TMS methodology. There are movements you can do with your eyes to help them relax (not exercises to make them stronger).

Anyway, I am wondering if any of you have any success in reversing eye dis-ease or reducing your eye prescription?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I have a cataract in my right eye and a rincoln continental in the left. I'm having trouble reading these days. I have spoken to people that used Bates techniques, they were happy with the improved vision. It helped Aldous Huxley with his cornea problem. But I think it's more for reducing eye strain and tension to allow it to return to a normal shape, for better reflection, etc.. I don't think it can reverse cataracts but it appears to slow them, and maybe stop them.

Bates was a TMS-guy that died when doc Sarno was 7 yos. He really got it. He saw tension as the culprit behind most eye problems, which is probably true.

Eye'll be readying for surgery.

North Star and Lavender like this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Here is a link hopefully, maybe, to a search for a thread over at the TMShelp forum about vision titled "TAKE OFF YOUR GLASSES AND SEE" :

http://www.tmshelp.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=416&SearchTerms=kaplan

This is just one thread on vision, if you put in the word "kaplan", (as in Dr. Roberto Michael Kaplan), into the search feature there you will find reams of info on that topic.

See ya'
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    North Star likes this.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Thanks Steve and TT. I have not read any of Kaplan's work, I will have to read that next. That's a very good thread on vision that you recommended TT.

5. Tennis Tom

Y'welcome Peggy, I've read several books by Dr. Kaplan and they are complementary to the MINDBODY approach of Dr. Sarno. He is in the lineage of Dr. Bates. I did some work with a Bates Method eye therapist a while back and it was fun. You do various exercises for the eyes using special props and devices. After I tested 20/13 I quit worrying about them and haven't looked back since. Nowadays watching the tennis ball is my eye exercise. Dr. Roberto Michael Kaplan is a world wide lecturer on vision/VISION and lives in British Columbia. I would recommend his books to anyone interested in improving their eyesight and the fascinating interaction between the eyes and the mindbody.

6. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

It looks like Dr. Kaplan is in Europe now, too bad, but I can read his books. I have been swimming a lot lately and I practice my near to far vision while swimming. I look at my hands or the bubbles I am making, then I look far. I have also been using some eyebright tea on my eyes, I soak a cloth and place it on my eyes for 10 minutes. The first couple of times I did this I fell asleep. I realized at that point that maybe our eyes do hold tension and when we relax them, we relax too. What came first, the chicken or the egg? ? TMS or eyetension? We will never know for sure . . .

7. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

So now I often use eyebright tea on my eyes before I go to sleep. Another benefit of eyebright tea that I really did not expect is that it clears my sinuses so I can breathe through both sides of my nose at the same time! I had nearly given up on that. When I take the patches off, the green outside looks greener and clearer. It really is a handy little herb.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Peggy, your eyebright tea sounds like a good thing to try. My eyes get tired from being on the computer for hours and then
    watching tv in the evening. When I just close my eyes they seem to feel better. Relaxing is very helpful, along with deep breathing
    and closing my eyes.

9. Tennis Tom

Here is a sampling from the internet of Dr. Michael Roberto Kaplan's complementary medicine approach to eyes/VISION/vision. You can see that it is very consistent with TMS theory:

://www.i-see.org/archive/kaplan

If I recollect right, I think he said, we have not evolved to do more then two hours of close up work a day--like sitting in front of a computer.

Peggy likes this.
  10. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

What a great thread! I know two people…both MAJOR TMS'ers who would vehemently deny TMS…who've had macular holes and detached retinas.

Makes me think of my own history - wearing glasses since I was 10. I *see* I have a few more books to read!

DanielleMRD and Peggy like this.
  11. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

This is pretty strange. I availed of a free eye test recently. My last result was left -2.25 & Right -3.50. Now its -1.50 left & -3.00 right. I explained to Optician that my last eye was done by a professional and she didn't want to know. I wanted to venture my perspective but decided it was a waste of time.

I had read of others improving eyesight but didn't think it would happen for me!

also I tried to explain to my GP today that I'm almost 100% better thanks to this work, didn't want to know.

Now I think of it I can trace my need for glasses to around same time I began having pain. Not 100% convinced of Bates as there are some solid counterarguments but I get how it could work.

Lizzy likes this.
  12. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I am not familiar with the Bates method, but about 10 years ago I did the See Clearly Method. I had been in reading glasses for 25 years and then didn't use them at all for a few years. I did relaxation and strengthening exercises, plus affirmations. After awhile I needed the glasses again and was to busy to do the method and my eyes were getting worse than ever. Then I read about vision and tms being connected and my glasses were to strong overnight. Now I use my weakest pair again. Pretty nice!

danielle likes this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

When my eyes get tired from being on the computer, reading, or watching TV, I take a break and close them.
    I sit quietly with my eyes closed and even after just five or ten minutes, they feel better.

I think a lot of people who watch those tiny screens on held-held electronic devices are in for eye trouble.
    As those who listen to loud music have or will have ear trouble.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  14. Tennis Tom

Bates is the grandfather of all the complementary mindbody non-invasive eye gurus who have come since. There are a few eye doctors who try to heal the eyes rather then sell you stronger and stronger rx's. I believe it's complementary to Dr. Sarno. The eyes are muscles too and susceptible to TMS.

Walt, that's a good trick cross-country truck drivers use to drive long distances, pulling off the road for a few minutes of shut-eye to allow the eye muscles to rest and then they're good to go again.

Cheers,
    tt

IrishSceptic likes this.
  15. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Congratulations on the improvement! I now have a book by Meir Schneider, Vision for Life, and it's pretty good. He is from the Bates lineage. I think eye improvement comes from lack of stress, also movement or stimulation, and awareness. When my back was sore I just laid in bed. My eyes didn't have much stimulation. I agree with Lizzy, that being aware that vision and tms are connected could break the cycle.

Lizzy likes this.
  16. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I found Bates interesting but this is me not even doing any exercises!

17. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Doing eye exercises may be like doing physiotherapy, something tms people should learn not to do. Living and active life is preferable. Living and active life for the eyes. There are certain movement the eye likes and can promote relaxation. When I am waiting in a waiting room, I will look out the window and look at other buildings and follow the lines of the building or the windows in the building. When at the dentist's office, I look at the tiles in the ceiling and follow the outside lines of the tiles. This is relaxing for the eyes and I think relaxing for me as well. When swimming I do near and far eye exercises, Tennis Tom follows a tennis ball.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Lizzy and Tennis Tom like this.
  18. Tennis Tom

Yup! ;) :) ;) beerbuds

Peggy likes this.