1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by njoy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Hi, I thought I'd check and let you folks on the forum how I'm doing with my "bugs", Parts Therapy (IFS - Internal Family Systems) and (my latest) ISTDP (Intensive Short Term Dynamic Psychotherapy).

The short anwer is "good!"

1. bugs - I still have very sharp bites at times but this only happens at night (I have had some kind of a night phobia, for years) or when I am anxious about something and trying to ignore my feelings. As I know for sure I don't have real bugs, I cope just fine and haven't taken any medication to sleep, etc. for a long time.

2. IFS - still continuing with the Karen Locke calls on Sunday nights. They are fun and very helpful. There are four of us regularly and a few more who drop in occasionally. As always, if anyone would like to give it a try, pm me. Everyone on the call has had some training in IFS and is on track to certification --- except me, but I'm able to use it quite effectively just by reading the IFS books.

3. ISTDP - recently I had a 2 hour session by Skype. It went well. I am continuing to back this up with lots of reading. I'd say I'm about 90% improved over a few months ago.

Sorry to hear Herbie is having family troubles and Forest is too busy to fit all he'd like to accomplish into 24 hours. Love you guys SO much. Glad to see so many old and new posters contributing. To me, this forum is the best. I can't volunteer to do much (zero technical skills) but am happy to talk by phone if anyone wants to. Dr. Sarno and the various TMS forums and authors have contributed so much to my life and I want to pass those benefits on in any way I can.

While it's scary to think that traffic is falling on google searches for TMS, there does seem to be, daily, more people talking about the same wonderful ideas. I think it's inevitable that we will all eventually awaken to the simple reality that we are connected mind and body and, for many of us, we can't be truly healthy if we ignore that fact. :)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, njoy.
    Good to read your update.
    I don't know whether TMS searches on google are falling off, but I notice new people posting to the subforums in TMSWiki every day.
    I too don't have many technical/computer skills, but in the two years I've been replying to the subforums, Herbie and Becca have taught me a lot.
    They're tech wizards.

When I have trouble sleeping I watch some relaxation for sleep videos on YouTube. They lull me to sleep.

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Bugsy

I like to hear more about ISTDP , I spoke to a few Therpist and they are against this type of treatment they say it's to aggressive and cause more issues then it solves...would like to hear more details.

Marco

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Marco, ISTDP does take more skill than most therapies so I would find someone who is properly certified. This is not always easy. You are right that most therapists are afraid of it but, in good hands, ISTDP is safe and will quickly change your life. Like it or not, transference is inevitable in therapy no matter how you tiptoe around it. ISTDP therapists know how to handle transference. It's quite fascinating to watch. Avoiding transference means no therapy is going to be all that effective but much "safer" for everyone involved. Also an ISTDP therapist will take several hours to assess whether or not ISTDP is right for a new client. Even then, she will proceed at the client's pace, constantly building new capacities before she moves on to higher levels of the therapy.

The important thing is that ISTDP is effective. Even years after a course of 10 or 20 (2 hour) sessions, people are still improving ON THEIR OWN. I think that's amazing. Not to mention cost effective!

IFS (Internal Family Systems) works, too, and the ideas are so simple that I can see teaching IFS principles to third graders. Any good therapist (and many non-therapists, for that matter) can quickly learn to help others with IFS. To me, common knowlege about "parts" (and IFS or Voice Dialogue) could change the world in a grass roots way.

ISTDP is different. Comparing the two is like comparing brain surgery to improved hygiene. Both necessary, of course.

Much as I love working with my parts, I needed a bit of brain surgery! Here's a list of certified ISTDP therapists, for anyone who is interested.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Hi, Walt. Forest mentioned a few times that search traffic is down on the term "tms" which may mean that people are thinking in terms of mind/body interactions. This is NOT a bad thing, it seems to me. At the very least, Dr. Sarno will be remembered for his contribution by those who know their history.

You are so right that Herbie, Forest and Becca are grand and wonderful teachers. I mean that. I love them to death, as the saying goes.

You are probably not the sick puppy I am, Walt, because sleep videos on youtube used to help me, too, but not any longer. I think I have subconscious parts that are demanding to be brought into the light. Not a bad thing, just very intense.