1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Update

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jaykay, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Jaykay

Jaykay Newcomer

Hi folks, here's my update. Not surprisingly, I've been following the programme to the letter. Haven't missed a day, a reading, a video etc. But that's me. I following instructions well. So I was surprised and pleased when I had a day off.... haha day 7 I think it was. Don't be TMSd today. That was harder than any other day. Not focusing on it. I have to say that I find the journaling a difficult and emotional task. I'm used to writing, it's part of my job, so I think I might be over doing it. The entries often last 1.5 hours, and are 1500 words or so. But I do think it is working. Particularly with my neck. It is much improved. The bi-lateral tennis elbow has some way to go I think. So.... I am starting to identify emotions. It's almost as if some emotions act differentially in my body. Still trying to identify the elbow emotion haha; the search continues. And my pain is mobile now. It does float around in my back, but I'm convinced now that I know what it is. I know that it's because I'm an angry, sad, and frustrated person. I does feel better knowing that. It does. As I said in my first entry, I'm an ageing athlete. But I have't been able to train (or exercise really) for months now, due in large part to the pain in my neck and elbows. Well, so far this week, I've cycled twice (a total of 20 minutes, but thats 20 minutes more than I've done for a long while), I've been to the gym - twice; and tomorrow I'm getting in the pool. I doubt that'll I'll ever get back to where I was 18 months ago, but I'm ok with that too. It happens to us all. I was just expecting a slow down, and not a cliff to fall off. I'm sticking with the plan; not just because it is the first thing that has shown a positive result, but also because I actually believe that my emotions are driving this pain. And, as painful as it has been to visit some of the darker and upsetting moments in my life, it's a lot better than having this white pain in my neck. Day 11 tomorrow,
    jk

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, JayKay, don't let your Inner Bully tell you that you are not ever going to get back to where you were 18 months ago. Believing you will be as good or better than that is part of a wonderful meditation for relaxation technique. It's a 20 minute exercise sitting quietly with the eyes closed and focusing the mind on a word such as "One," and when the mind wanders, return it to silently saying "One." At the end of the 20 minutes, picture and feel yourself as you were when you felt your best, and in a place where you felt that way.

Here is an article about the Relaxation Response, and there are some videos about it on Youtube.

Herbert Benson, M.D. documented benefits experienced through traditional forms of Christian and Jewish prayer. Benson published his Relaxation Response” method of stress reduction without the mysticism associated with TM. Short structured rest periods provide health benefits.

Herbert Benson, M.D.
    Associate Professor of Medicine
    Harvard Medical School
    and founder of the

Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine
    824 Boylston St.
    Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-2508

Phone: (617) 991-0102 Toll free: (866) 509-0732
    MBMI@CareGroup.Harvard.edu

On some measurements
    The Relaxation Response and Transcendental Meditation
    appear to be similar.

However, TM is taught in a methodical way
    by certified instructors who charge $1,000 to make sure the student
    gets the maximum benefits, with check-ups for life.

TM may be a cult or religion.

There are no such instructors for the free RR
    and no follow up program.

Steps to Elicit the Relaxation Response
    The following is the technique reprinted with permission from Dr. Herbert Benson's book
    The Relaxation Response pages 162-163

1. Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
    2. Close your eyes.
    3. Deeply relax all your muscles,
    beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
    Keep them relaxed.

4. Breathe through your nose.
    Become aware of your breathing.
    As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
    silently to yourself. For example,
    breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
    Breathe easily and naturally.

5. Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
    You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
    When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
    at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
    Do not stand up for a few minutes.

6. Do not worry about whether you are successful
    in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
    Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own pace.
    When distracting thoughts occur,
    try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
    and return to repeating "one."

With practice, the response should come with little effort.
    Practice the technique once or twice daily,
    but not within two hours after any meal,

since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
    the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.

* It is better to use a soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning.
    or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts - a mantra.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful report Jaykay. I am happy for you. Your courage and focus are well placed, and rewarding you!!