1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Update on my TMS

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Mamaheather, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Mamaheather

Mamaheather Newcomer

Well my pain is way down but it constantly pops back up and I do have to work hard at times to make it go away but point it’s it does stop and go away! Which is so awesome that I have gained control back. But now my main issue is sleep. I haven’t been able to sleep well for the last three or four nights. I think anxiety. I’ve been journaling and meditating a lot. The only thing I have not done much yoga or walking this last week. I do have a lot going on right now but I always do. Has anyone else had sleeping issues if so what’s helped or does it usually subside as the emotions come out in journaling? I am also coming off pain meds, down to taking half the amount I use to take. Today I get a lower dose and less pills. So I’ll be down to 1 or 2 pills a day a very low dose. I’m trying not to go through withdrawals. I’m hoping to be completely off by them by January. Yay for me! But not sure if the sleeping thing is from that too. I’m might just have to work through this.

JanAtheCPA and Aimee88 like this.
  2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...sleep was one of my issues while I felt sick, but did not linger too much once I started the treatment program. Still, it's not much different than any other new symptom that pops up during treatment. If you worry about it, it will persist. Do your best to not to. I wouldn't bother trying to figure out what's causing it. Just know that you can function ok even with poor sleep. So, it's okay if you have some bad stretches. With all of the journaling and trying to reduce treatments/meds etc., there is so much going on in our minds! That alone could lead to some anxiety like you said that can keep you up. Meditation before bed always helped relax and clear my head. And I always did all of my journaling and TMS "thinking" earlier in the day. Long story short, the sleep issues are just a symptom substitution. There is nothing wrong with you, and nothing to worry about. Your brain just wants to keep you scared and distracted. It means your doing a good job. Keep up the good work!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Mamaheather, that is wonderful to hear, and thank you for keeping us posted!

@ssxl4000 has great advice. I can also add that a little bedtime meditation /visualization works really well and takes almost no time. When you get into bed, you simply start with your mindful breathing, and then visualize the kind of sleep you would like to experience. The hardest part is believing that it can happen, so that you can commit to the outcome.

Keep up the great work!

Mamaheather and ssxl4000 like this.