1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Reading Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In another thread, I mentioned that a group of us discussed the first two chapters of the Great Pain Deception in last week's drop in chat. We are going to form a loose TMS reading group as part of the drop in chat, at least for the next couple of weeks. We are currently reading The Great Pain Deception, by Steve Ozanich. This Saturday we will be discussing chapters 3-5, which goes over how Steve recovered from TMS.

We will also continue to have general TMS discussions and offer support throughout the drop in chat, so even if you do not read the book, feel free to drop in and receive/give support. As always the chat is on Saturday from 3-4 PM EST. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Forest

2. Erika Spiewak

Erika Spiewak New Member

Dear Forest,
    Thank you for answering my questions. I have another one. My husband and I recently purchased a Teeter (inversion unit). Would that be in the category of "treatment" of the back? Should I not do this since I am really focused on TMS.
    Thanks
    Fredrika

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Fredrika,

I did a quick search on what a Teeter is and it looks like one of those tables you lay one and then spin upside down. To me this sounds like placebo, and probably not effective. Sarno tells us to get rid of all of our aid and remedies, so I wouldn't recommend using this. It seems like it will just keep you focusing on your back.

The main problem with devices like this is that they inherently make you believe there is something wrong with your back that needs to be fixed, straightend out or aligned. But in reality there is nothing wrong with your back. To recover, you don't need to try to fix your back, you need to identify and address the repressed emotions that are creating the pain. You have a psychological issue, not a physical one.

I also bought a wide variety of aids like this. I have quite a few ergonomic keyboards, mouses, and voice-recognition software. In the end, they didn't relieve any pain at all. The only thing they accomplished was keeping me focused on my symptoms and make me think I was broken. But we are not broken. We just need to change how we view our symptoms and begin to think psychologically.