1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Alex B. TMS and tendonitis

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Hopeful1

Hopeful1 New Member

Yeah I've read all of Sarno's books and see myself on those pages. I know my spine has some "grey hairs."It's just that I've had some real injuries-- the pain didn't come out of the blue. But it helps to think of the continued chronic pain as coming from my brain and not injured tissues, as the injury has likely healed. Looking at the Holmes-Raye scale is helpful. I was diagnosed with a chronic condition around the same time as my injury, and I changed jobs. Pretty stressful. After running a marathon at age 50, I felt invincible. The injuries and chronic condition diagnosis was a real blow to my self image. My spirit was crushed. Yes I was ecstatic when told it was TMS. I think my enormous amount of fear and anxiety that developed over the last two years is making it hard to easily accept that this is TMS. I wish I could just accept it and let go.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for the thoughtful reply, it helps to get an overview of your TMS situation. Dr. Sarno theorized that TMS was a PROTECTOR and not a punisher. It is our sub-conscious trying to be helpful by distracting us with a physical issue attempting to help us through tough emotional times. It has decided the physical symptom to be preferable and less painful then dealing with the emotional issues at the moment head-on, as it were. So, we should be thanking our TMS for trying to protect us from emotional hurt, until we are better equipped to deal with it on a conscious level. Dr. Sarno says when you feel the pain, think psychological.

3. Hopeful1

Hopeful1 New Member

Thanks for your response. I try to think psychologically when I have pain, but fear sometimes gets in the way and then I start thinking about structural causes.

Tennis Tom likes this.