1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Ozanich TMS and Pop Culture

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Pandagirl

Pandagirl Peer Supporter

It spans across several episodes, but in the first season of Madmen, Betty Draper has an issue with her hands going numb. She even has a car accident as a result of it happening while driving the kids. She ends up seeing a psychiatrist. Funny, because I think back in the 1960's there seemed to be more acceptance of mind-body issues. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like with all the fancy technology and tests that we have now days we have less respect for things we don't completely understand or can't see on a lab result. My hands used to go numb too!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Pandagirl. That's an excellent entry. I worked for an ad agency in the Madmen years and everyone was stressed out and
    feeling back pain and drinking to numb it, wondering it their job would be lost with the next merger. Not much has changed since then.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

In "ALICE," a 1990 movie by Woody Allen, a married mother of two children in Manhattan falls in love with a handsome saxophone player and then suffers back pains. She consults an Oriental herbalist in Chinatown who says her back pains are in her mind, caused by guilt. He gives her magical herbs to cure her.

He should have given her a copy of Dr. Sarno's book Healing Back Pain.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had two more ideas for additions to the list. The first is a movie list from Dr. Bob Evans, a Sarno psychologist trained by Dr. Evans, Dr. Feinblatt, Dr. Sherman, and Dr. Anderson. In his therapist survey he writes,
    Another idea would be The Great Santini, which was mentioned in Pathways to Pain Relief, one of the patients discusses the movie, and there is an awful lot in it. I discuss the connections in the thread about our discussion group.

5. Forest

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on this project. Walt has agreed to help out with this project and will be writing up all of your suggestions for a wiki page that will be available to everyone with TMS. Walt was a reporter and feature writer for The Chicago Tribune for seven years serving as assistant television editor among other roles. He is also co-authoring a new book on the best movies of all time, from the silents to the present. It's to be published in early 2014.

Definitely the right person to be writing about TMS in pop culture, right? I think it's going to be a great page.

If you have any other ideas for Books, TV show, Movies, Poems or anything else that might be an example of TMS in pop culture, please let us know here. If you think that people might want to discuss the example, you can give people space to discuss it by creating another thread and linking to it here. For example, James59 recognized that Forbidden Planet has some deep elements of Freudian psychology. It's a terrific movie, so he created a thread about it. It's good that he did because it gives us a place to discuss the movie. So how do we make sure that the thread will be included in the TMS Pop Culture project? It's simple. You just post a link to the other thread in this thread. Like this:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/forbidden-planet.2973/

That's really all there is to it.

James59 likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

"Seinfeld" episode about goodism.

Add to TMS in Pop Culture

“Seinfeld”

There is an excellent (and funny) episode about the TMS symptums of rejection and “goodism” in “The Masseuse.”
    George is upset because Jerry’s girlfriend doesn’t like him.

Jerry replies, “Look, it’s not like you’re going to be spending a lot of time with her.”

But that doesn’t do it for George, so Seinfeld tells him: “Not everybody likes everybody!”

George is still suffering from rejection and goodism.

Karen adds, “What difference does it make, anyway? Who cares if she doesn’t like you?
    Does everybody in the world have to like you?”

George says, “Yes! Yes! Everybody has to like me. I must be liked!”

YouTube video clip:

7. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

9. Steve Ozanich

10. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Sure sounds like Tiger is under a lot of self-imposed pressure to perform and that's manifesting in TMS symptoms in his back. I remember in PT they had a therapist who was specifically dedicated to treating "back injuries" among the golfers at the prestigious Monterey County Club on 17 Mi8le Drive in Carmel, California. She'd travel down there from San Francisco once a week to deal with those kinds of "back injuries" specifically associated with the golf swing. They had a diagram on the wall and a lot of text to go with it too. But what is golf but a game based on self-imposed pressure to be "perfect" but, obviously, in Tiger's case, not necessarily to be "good".

11. BruceMC

Speaking of pop culture, I wonder if anyone has ever examined Oscar Wilde's famously popular 1890 novel, The Picture of Dorian Grey, in light of TMS theory?

http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Dorian-Gray-Oscar-Wilde/dp/1557427968

As Dorian grows older, he never ages, but stays a perfect image of his youth when the portrait he keeps in his attic was first painted. However, as Dorian continues to lead a sybaritic life of decadence and sin, the portrait ages, withers and becomes more and more ugly and disfigured. Wilde's novel appeared 10 years before Sigmund Freud's Interpretation of Dreams, but in many ways anticipates Freud's insights about the unconscious and repression.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Picture_of_Dorian_Gray

Of course, Hollywood did a screen version in 1945:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037988/

12. Forest

Heya, Steve, I don't know if I'll be able to offer any special help on this. I looked at the HTML code behind the HuffPo page and I'm afraid it was pretty rough. If it were a simple YouTube or Vimeo embed, I could help, but they've got some weird stuff going on.

I don't know if you like horror movies, but if you do, click on the following link:
    https://spshared.5min.com/Scripts/P...oControlDisplayColor=#191919&shuffle=0&isAP=1

That's 470,000 characters of a language called JavaScript, and that's the stuff that displays the video. Somewhere in that haystack is the tiny needle that one might be able to use to extract just that video. But that stuff's just crazy. (click on the link. It's pretty wild.)

13. pspa

pspa Well known member

Adelaide's Lament from Guys and Dolls

It says here:
    The average unmarried female
    Basically insecure
    Due to some long frustration may react
    With psychosomatic symptoms
    Difficult to endure
    Affecting the upper respiratory tract.
    In other words, just from waiting around for that plain little band of gold
    A person can develop a cold.

You can spray her wherever you figure thes streptococci lurk
    You can give her a shot for whatever's she's got, but it just won't work
    If she's tired of getting the fish eye from the hotel clerk
    A person can develop a cold.

It says here:
    The female remaining single
    Just in the legal sense
    Shows a neurotic tendency, see note: (looks at note
    Chronic organic symptoms
    Toxic or hypertense
    Involving the eye, the ear, the nose, and throat.
    In other words, just from worrying if the wedding is on or off
    A person can develop a cough.

You can feed her all day with the vitamin A and the bromofizz
    But the medicine never gets anywhere near where the trouble is.
    If she's getting a kind of name for herself, and the name ain't his
    A person can develop a cough.

And furthur more, just from stalling, and stalling,
    And stalling the wedding trip
    A person can develop la grippe.
    When they get on that train to Niagara
    And she can hear church bells chime
    The compartment is air conditioned
    And the mood sublime
    Then they get off at Saratoga for the fourteenth time!
    A person can develop la grippe,
    La grippe.
    La post nasal drip.
    With the wheezes
    And the sneezes
    And a sinus that's really a pip!
    From a lack of community property
    And a feeling she's getting to old
    A person can develop a bad, bad cold!
    (ADELAIDE sneezes)

Becca likes this.
  14. BruceMC

Help Wanted: Programmer. Must be highly fluent in JavaScript.

15. Becca

Becca Well known member

YES!! What a brilliant example! I LOVE this song (and this musical). I noodled around and found the song (movie version) on YouTube:

16. pspa

pspa Well known member

Indeed. "The medicine never gets anywhere near where the trouble is" could be the banner headline for much of our modern medical system and its obsession with drugs (oh, sorry let me use the more benign term medications), blood tests and imaging.

Becca likes this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I wish more people would add theirs. I see Mindbody tie-ins often when I watch tv.
    I don't watch tv much but do watch a lot of British tv and movies and they often touch Mindbody subjects.
    British tv and films are more about people and relationships than American stuff which focuses more on sex,
    violence, explosions, and vampires. No wonder kids and even adults today are so stressed-out.

18. Steve Ozanich

19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

That's a wonderful video of Vivian Blaine from "Guys and Dolls."
    And very true that stress, etc., can cause illness, as we're learning more lately from knowledge of cells
    and Mindbody.

I just read this advice on living from, surprising to me, Marilyn Monroe:

"This life is what you make it. No matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And baby, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."

She also said, "Fear is stupid. So are regrets."

She had a lot of TMS. Her father deserted her and her mother before she was born, and her mother had mental problems so Marilyn spent
    most of her girlhood in orphanages and foster homes. She had a lifelong feeling of abandonment and being unwanted. She also grew up in poverty, as a preteenager she worked in an orphanage kitchen for a nickel a month, and a penny of that was taken for a church donation. Her three marriages were all unsuccessful and she said she would rather have been loved than famous.

20. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Nicole Sachs told me a long time ago to watch "FIELD OF DREAMS", haven't done it yet, maybe that's why I've a tight-ass.