1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Zafirides The Role of Existential Anxiety in TMS Pain

Discussion in 'Mindbody Blogs (was Practitioner's Corner)' started by Peter Zafirides, Apr 19, 2012.

1. painfreeB

painfreeB Peer Supporter

does anyone know where these podcasts moved to? all links indicate that the 'account has been suspended'. would really like to hear more of this approach. thx

2. Bora

Bora Newcomer

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you, Bora! I have been missing Dr. Z. I still find the theories of Existential Psychotherapy to be extremely relevant every day - especially on days when I seem to be struggling.

Weird, though, that the specific episode that Forest posted on page 1 of this thread is the one that's missing (http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/the-role-of-existential-anxiety-in-tms-pain.228/#post-17207 (Dr. Zafirides - The Role of Existential Anxiety in TMS Pain))

~Jan

4. Bora

Bora Newcomer

Hi Jan,

I listened to Part 2 last night. As Dr. Zafirides says in it, all parts are self-contained and apparently Dr. Zafirides was not really happy with the quality of recording for part 1. Perhaps, that's why it is removed.

I must say I enjoyed the podcast even though I am very skeptical about such "inspiring" things usually. I will listen to part 3 soon.

Bora

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

He does have that upbeat style which I'm not in love with, but I have had some profound insights having learned just a little bit about EP from Dr. Zafirides' posts here. The concept of the Four Core Issues is simple, but powerful. I've written a bit about them in other threads...

6. butterfly_queen

butterfly_queen New Member

I agree!! 100% belief is crucial. My sister and I have the same chronic back problem although she had surgery and I didn't, I am getting free of the pain and it's causing an ever-widening rift between us. It makes me so sad. But I feel strong and clear thanks to this forum and all of your support. Thanks for being here. I get stronger as I leave this pain behind. Thanks to you and Dr. Sarno!!

7. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

While I have not heard the talk referenced here, existential psychology, I have taught it to psychotherapy students a long while back and try to live by many of the precepts. Especially personal responsibility and the basic anxiety it causes.

I came online this morning because I awakened thousands of miles from home on a so-called vacation. My husband is ANGRY and irritable due to jet lag and wants me to tour HIS WAY. I was dealing with my lower right back wishing to knot up. I took a sports fall 12 days ago and am hurting but chose to travel, anyway.
    At the moment, I wish I had stayed home.
    If I am not honest with myself, I generate pain. When I am incongruent, I can generate the tension that creates the pain. I am so hurt right now, of course my back wishes to speak my hurt and anger for me. I calmly told him we are different and I don't want to spend the morning RESEARCHING the most EFFECTIVE way to get to the Spanish
    Riding School. My entire plan to tour Vienna was the hop on hop off bus to get the lay of the land.
    It doesn't start running till Saturday.
    I will be gone then.
    Deep breath.
    Try to be kind but not be a door mat.
    This isn't easy.
    But I can release the tension, stretch, breathe and let go the resentment and anger. I can accept we are different. I am not better than he is, tho at the moment I suspect he is judging my lack of studying the tour situation to be sloppy or passive. I am supposed to be RELAXING.
    I know capital letters are yelling. Rage is beneath almost all my pain... that and fear/existential anxiety. The fear that I exist and have got to find my way.
    It's a very cellular thing, this fear.
    I am grateful to have a place to process it.

All best wishes,
    Bg

mike2014 and butterfly_queen like this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Bg,

Great post to express/explore your, our existential situation. We get caught in our personalities, and we suffer. We have fear our needs aren't being met, or that we won't be loved or that our feelings just aren't OK. We're thrown into this existence without a road map, and we're awash with plenty of feelings that take us in all directions. Such is our life... And we exist in this mysterious universe, without solid ground.

Andy B

mike2014 and Bodhigirl like this.
  9. butterfly_queen

Hi Bg,
    You are so good at communicating your dilemma. I didn't respond fully earlier because it was too late at night to put my words together, but I just want you to know you are not alone. What you described had so much resonance for me. I used to feel this way on trips with my ex and my back pain would be so horrific, all I wanted to do was sleep or lay down for hours and read. But I also didn't want to miss out on anything, so I did the old "grin and bear it" routine. Seething resentment and anger swept under the rug...i.e. back pain and migraines and sometimes actual weird illnesses that showed up in other countries. Of course, no one else was sick but me. Now that I know about TMS, I travel differently and take better care to speak my truth. Hopefully, I have learned those lessons for good.
    I hope you are feeling better and have shared your truth with your husband. Communication is not always easy, but it usually works out better than stuffing it.

Take good care of yourself,
    -bq

10. butterfly_queen

Hi Bg,
    You are so good at communicating your dilemma. I didn't respond fully earlier because it was too late at night to put my words together, but I just want you to know you are not alone. What you described had so much resonance for me. I used to feel this way on trips with my ex and my back pain would be so horrific, all I wanted to do was sleep or lay down for hours and read. But I also didn't want to miss out on anything, so I did the old "grin and bear it" routine. Seething resentment and anger swept under the rug...i.e. back pain and migraines and sometimes actual weird illnesses that showed up in other countries. Of course, no one else was sick but me. Now that I know about TMS, I travel differently and take better care to speak my truth. Hopefully, I have learned those lessons for good.
    I hope you are feeling better and have shared your truth with your husband. Communication is not always easy, but it usually works out better than stuffing it.

Take good care of yourself,
    -bq

11. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

Yes! And when I was tiny I told my mom, indignantly, "I never asked to be borned".

12. Betsy4ever

Betsy4ever New Member

Thanks Dr. Zafirides for the share, it has some interesting new information. Hope you continue the good work