1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Presence Process - Share Experiences & Ask Questions

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by BrianC, Jul 14, 2014.

1. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

I recommend learning TPP techniques and practicing them. It doesn't matter if you ask a girl to be your girlfriend before, during, or after that point. You can do it anytime you want. Whatever happens in life is exactly what's supposed to happen. My opinion, judging from many statements in the Bible, is that God is the One steering us through life according to His exactly plan He has laid out for everyone so that each person can learn the lessons in life they set out to learn and help others learn the lessons they chose to learn. I think we picked the life we wanted to go into to learn and we knew that life was like a part in a movie and that God was going to direct us through every step of our part in the movie. He's directing, and we're the actors, but we forgot it's a movie and that He's directing us. lol But we cannot make a wrong step unless we're more powerful than God, because that's what it would take to successfully go against His plan for our life. You have never made a wrong step in this life.

2. hansol

hansol Newcomer

I saw your reply today. I really appreciated it.

You are right.

I still have some resistance to feeling bad things.

'bad' is not bad in TPP, but in 'social pressure', some experiences are bad.

I am still in social pressure.. haha...

These days, things are getting smoother.

relationship with friends, family

some business things

my academic things...

but I still feel 'rush'

" I must achieve higher things! "

" higher! "

typical Korean problem. LOL

Keep do the TPP is the key to integrate this rush.

I want to hear you change in life through TPP. If you want to share.

I really thank you about your reply. It's touched.

3. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

I think I've talked about most of the changes in my life in this thread already. Some of them have continued and some I've backpeddled on because I didn't stick to the method as strictly as I could have. I go back and forth, though. But my experience is going to be different than other people's experiences. Everyone's different. I was really repressed, so it will take me a long time to take care of all of the repressed emotions driving my behaviors.

But what's most important about that is that I don't really worry about it anymore. It take it slow and get it done a little bit at a time. I'm not obsessive about it anymore. And I never have massive shame attacks anymore that cause me an emotional breakdown for a short time. Why? Because I'm no longer afraid of experiencing my emotions since I know how to deal with them now. That's all it takes to have the confidence to take them on and not fear them anymore. Pretty cool. I'm pretty easy going nowadays. Can't complain. I'm definitely not perfect and I still have a ways to go, that's for sure. But I'm way more at peace than I used to be. Just knowing how to deal with emotions makes all the difference in the world. :)

4. Monicamu

Monicamu New Member

Hi Brian! No idea if you are still checking this, but if you do.. I am wondering if you can help me with this question: I'm on my 3rd week of the process and I am thinking of doing a meditation retreat in India. Do you think its a good idea to do so while being on the process? Or that would be like adding "drama"? Thank uu! Loved reading the experience you had with it

5. gratefulgirl

gratefulgirl New Member

Hi Brian,

I am on Week 1 of TPP. I just wanted to say thank you for your detailed insights, tips and thoughts about your experience. It is really helpful! :)

6. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

I apologize--I thought I already responded to your message but apparently I didn't.

So do you think this retreat to India would help your TPP routine or hurt it?

Do you think adding more meditation and possibly different ideas and more responsibilities would help you and your TPP right now or harm it?

Do you think it might distract you from TPP and/or cause more drama for you?

Is this a trip you can do at another time or is it a once in a lifetime thing? (this question isn't too important since you can usually find stuff like this if you really want to)

Those are the questions I'd ask myself if I were in your shoes, and I'd do my best to answer them honestly instead of answering them in such a way that simply suits what I like and want. You may answer them differently than I would. I think the most important of those questions is if it would be a distraction or drama. There are a whole lot of things in this life competing for our attention, 99% of which are useless. But I have no idea if this trip would be one of those things. I kind of look at things like this as attempts to get answers from others than from myself. Then again if you're going there to learn how to meditate to get answers from within or to stop "doing" and start "being" instead, then maybe it'd be useful. Maybe. It's hard to say. Another question I'd ask is if the money could be better spent.

I know it sounds like my questions seek to destroy the idea, but that's not the intention. The intent is to honestly drill myself with real questions to get to the heart of whether it's a good idea and if I'm honestly doing it for the right reasons or if it's not the best idea at this time.

Sorry I can't give you a more definitive answer on this kind of thing, but I genuinely hope you come to an answer that's good for you and that you're happy no matter what that answer is. Also, depending on the answer and the feelings that answer brings up, you could work with those feelings using what you've learned from TPP. ;)

Good luck!

7. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

Hey, no problem! It's fun to me.

Welcome to the thread. Good to have you.

And I like your name, by the way. Thankfulness is probably the greatest attribute we can have while healing if it's genuine. Makes life so much more enjoyable, too!

8. gratefulgirl

gratefulgirl New Member

Yes, gratitude and forgiveness and love are what I am being as often as I can. Life just feels better to me when I can be there. Besides wanting to uncover the source of my TMS, I am doing TPP to feel more connected to my nature and presence. Sounds kinda high-falutin', but it's the truth for me.

BrianC likes this.
  9. alan constant

alan constant Newcomer

I am reading the book and I am at the part where the 10 week process actually begins. In about 5 weeks I am travelling with a friend for about 4 day. I anticipate that it might be difficult to work the process while we are travelling. Is it better to wait until I get back? Or if not, do I just need to carve out some private time on the trip to continue the work? Please share your experience if it is relevant.

10. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

Oh, I've always been fine to do the process while I'm traveling. I just do the best I can to complete the daily breathing and other things. I usually missed some of them or just didn't get to do them as thoroughly as I liked, but that's no problem. Most people do the process a few times anyway. The more you do it, the more you learn that it's not a big deal when the process gets interrupted here and there.

Good luck!

11. alan constant

alan constant Newcomer

Many thanks for the quick response. I am sure I will be checking back here. Thanks for your help.

12. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

No problem. Good luck!

13. Rivergirl17

Rivergirl17 Newcomer

Hi everybody :) I’m new here to the forums, and am working my way through this thread, but I just wanted to ask of those who have completed the Presence Process if it gets better?
    I’m on week 4 and a lot of depression and grief has come up, and I guess it’s kind of scaring me.
    I read a review where the woman said she just stayed sad afterwards and it it kind of freaked me out...so I guess I’m looking for encouraging experiences - I kind of feel like I’m in new territory and it’s been quite intense the last week.
    I’ve largely healed from fibro and chronic fatigue over the last year after learning about TMS, and I’m doing the Presence Process as a way to go deeper into all of that.
    Thanks!

14. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

Welcome to the thread, Rivergirl17.

It sounds like the process is working great for you if you've got depression and grief coming up. That's good news!

Think about it like this: the depression and grief, among other emotions, are stuck inside, repressed, and therefore causing health problems and a weight on your shoulders that brings you down from how peaceful and content you could feel otherwise. I tend to look at it as if our goal in life is to offload all of the baggage covering up the real us. Those dysfunctioning emotions are part of that baggage. And as they process, you become lighter and your ability to feel increases.

Growing up, we develop ways to repress our uncomfortable emotions. But we're not actually repressing them--we're deadening our ability to feel (or in some cases, people don't repress those emotions, they just let them rule their life with no ability to handle or control them in a healthy way). But most people repress, and this causes us to become apathetic, feeling very little at all. Life becomes very boring and blah. Our mood is generally low and since we're designed to feel things, we long for something intriguing and thrilling to give us some sort of emotional high because that's the only way we can feel something besides the lack of feelings (the low feelings). Why do we do that? Because no one teaches us how to deal with our uncomfortable (dysfunctioning) emotions in a healthy way nor that it can be enjoyable when we do it. So we're stuck with repression or a dramatic life.

What TPP does is first teaches us how to handle our emotions in a healthy way, then takes us through a process to bring them to the surface to be dealt with. The confidence we gain from learning how to deal with emotions makes our subconscious feel safe enough to let the emotions/feeling surface. And the process of blocking out all of our coping mechanisms when we meditate each morning and evening helps the emotions surface, as well.

So if you're seeing the depressed emotions surface, the process is working well for you. But you don't want to look at the emotions as dreadful and like you want them to go away. That's why they got repressed in the first place. You have to embrace them, looking as them like they're little kids whose growth was halted because they didn't get the unconditional love from their parents that they needed to mature, and because they believed some lie/false idea about their self and life. The incorrect belief keeps the emotion dysfunctioning, which keeps the "kid" from maturing into a healthy, peaceful, content adult. Since no one taught our parents how to love us unconditionally, we have to learn to do it and give those parts of ourself the unconditional love they need. We must reparent them, and that includes teaching them the truth about their self and life in order to combat whatever false beliefs they have. An example of a false belief would be that they're bad. Since we are children of God, made in His/Its image, we cannot be bad. We may do hurtful things at times, but that's only because we're here to learn through firsthand experience with shame, pain, suffering, and all kinds of tough things. That's what after-death experiences show us (usually called Near-Death Experiences NDEs, but I think that's often an incorrect term since most people who have NDEs actually die but are resuscitated eventually). We're not in our true form, so it would be a huge misunderstanding if we judged ourself by what we do, feel and think while we're here on earth. But that's what our heart does. We get brainwashed by the ideas of this world like good and bad, right and wrong, guilt, shame, etc. That's a majority of the reason we get the false beliefs. We simply correct those beliefs with our subconscious/heart and it begins to heal and mature, as long as we do so while showing it unconditional love. TPP programs the subconscious with teachings like that through repeating the phrases over and over again each week. (Forgive me, I forget what those phrases are called...affirmative statements or something like that) My subconscious doesn't just believe skmethjnf because I repeat it, though, so I actually have to prove it to my subconscious while its dysfunctioning emotions are surfaced. And it works really well.

You mentioned that you're dealing with grief. That's very good. Grief is where you're trying to get to. It's acceptance. When we repress grief or sadness, we're attempting to not feel them and not accept the loss, or at least not accept the feelings the loss produces. So the fact that you're feeling that loss is great! It means you're finally accepting it. To not accept it is to repress. You're beginning to release the repression by expressing it properly. When you cry as a result, that's the beginning of integration. As long as you have the proper belief worked out for that part of yourself, it'll integrate, eventually.

You also said you're feeling depressed. Depression is repressed anger. When we don't express our anger in a healthy or unhealthy way, it gets caught in us and causing depression.

Think of it like this: you didn't express the anger outwardly, so it turned in on you and beat you up. Once it beats you up enough, you just feel awful and have no energy, so you just feel drained and sad all the time.

Often people are angry at their self but they don't realize it because they believe they get angry because of what others do to them. Someone else is at fault and causing them to get angry, according to their beliefs. But in reality, the anger was already in us, and it was something someone did that triggered the latent anger. The anger is always ours so we must own it and express it in a healthy way and then figure out why we have it.

Anger is a secondary emotion. Fear and grief/sadness are primary emotions. The only reason we get angry is because we fear feeling fear or sadness. We get angry as an attempt to get what we want, to control the way we feel, to keep from feeling the loss of our comfort. But once the anger is expressed, we can get underneath it to see what it is we fear so we can deal with it. Anger isn't good or bad, right or wrong...it's just an indicator that helps us understand something about ourself and the situations we're in. All emotions are for that purpose. But understand that anger is a dysfunctioning emotion. There is a healthy passion with which we can defend our self when needed, and it's not anger. It's the healthy energy that got twisted into anger. When the anger integrates, it turns back into the free-flowing, healthy, passionate energy available to be used to defend one's self and for other things, too.

So, anytime you're feeling depressed, always think, "Oh, that's repressed anger. What am I angry about? And how can I express it in a healthy way so I can get down to the emotions I'm repressing with it and then work with integrating them?

After week 7, my emotions became unrepressed to a strong degree and I was suddenly feeling emotions running all over my body while I watched movies. It was so cool, like giving life a new, fun, exciting dimension.

When you learn to feel again and get all of that emotional baggage offloaded, you end up able to feel even the slightest things. That's great, because peace and contentment are subtle but powerful, and you'll be able to feel those most of the time, eventually.

This process toughens you up when it comes to feeling uncomfortable emotions. You'll start to enjoy them. That's alwaya cool. Just remember that they're no good or bad, but rather just there to help you. Treat them as little kids, and have tons of respect for them. Be thankful for them. And most of all, love them unconditionally, never blaming the for anything.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have more questions. I had lots of questions the first and second times I did the process.

Good luck!

BagelSchnitzel likes this.
  15. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

Following this thread,

I have just picked up the audio version of the book. I'll keep you posted with my progress, seems interesting so far.

16. BrianC

BrianC Well known member

Welcome to the thread, Bagel. Good to have you.

I've never heard the auidobook so I'll be curious how you like it. Thanks!

17. zabe

zabe Newcomer

Hi, I have read The Presence Process and am just about to start the weekly program. I have also been practicing a breath based yogic practice, Shambhavi Mahamudra Kriya for the last 2 months. I’m wondering if it would be best to suspend this practice while doing the Process or not. The Kriya does involve flutter breathing and breath locking which seems counter to continuous breathing. Thoughts?

18. Marjon

Marjon New Member

Hi BrianC and others on this thread,

My question is about the breathing excercise.
    My name is Marjon, and over the last couple of months I've found out about Dr. Sarno and TMS after 30 years of health issues. An enormous eye opener!,
    I have found about TPP as well and just read the book. I'd like to start doing the 10 week program but am very unsure about how to do the breathing.
    How fast or slow do you go???
    For some reason I can't access the audio files with examples of breathing on the site of the Presence Proces. I don t hear anything on either of the sound files.
    So, for regular TPP breathing, the 15 minutes twice a day, it says to breathe actively.
    My normal breathing pattern is about 10 breaths a minute. Would that be ok, if I left no pauses? Or does it have to be more active and/deeper?
    Can anybody shed some light for me?
    Thank you all for being out there!
    Marjon

19. zabe

zabe Newcomer

Hi Marion,
    I’m in week 5 of TPP. My understanding about the breathing is that it’s deeper and a little more forced than regular breathing. Also the breathing should be more in the stomach rather than the chest to activate the diagram. I just checked the breathing examples on thepresenceportal.com and they were working. They are barely audible however. Good luck with both TMS and TPP.

20. Marjon

Marjon New Member

Thanks for your reply! A bit deeper and more forced sounds like something I could do. I guess wanting to do the breathing excercises perfectly is just another TMS
    personality treat...