1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Mindfulness Summit

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mike2014, Sep 10, 2015.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Like The Self Acceptance Project before it, The Summit is such a gift. I've been away from the forum for awhile, and I feel like the universe brought me back just in time to get to know some great new members and to be here for the Summit!

That's interesting, Forest, what you noticed about the juxtaposition of the first three presentations, and you're right, they balance each other perfectly, especially with Dan Harris's compelling personal story following the rather intellectual presentation by Joseph Goldstein, which I had a little difficulty remaining present with. And yes, I did notice that's where Dan Harris is studying.

So far, I'm most taken with Mark Williams who brilliantly combines compelling scientific evidence with passion and compassion.

But we have 28 more to go!

angelic333, Forest and mike2014 like this.
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I liked this meditation very much. Just the right length for me at this time. Thanks, @Forest , for bringing it to my attention. I seem to like meditations the most if the person has a somewhat foreign accent. Not sure why this is.....

Forest and mike2014 like this.
  3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Maybe it reminds you of being far from home and relaxing some place overseas :)

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Ahhhh, that makes sense. I enjoyed Joseph's interview, but i can relate a story that is similar to what you're describing. It turns out that I live only 90 minutes away from the 2 retreat centers that Joseph Goldstein founded. I checked out their websites, and when I looked at the events that they had, the first two that I listed were actually three-month meditation retreats. That's a bit much for me!

It looks like his approach is very steeped in a type of Buddhism called Theravada Buddhism. It appears to be the least mystical form of Buddhism and the one that is the most focused on the Buddhas original teachings. It has more of a focus on how to use Buddhist psychology and meditation to achieve happiness in our lives. When people refer to using "wisdom traditions" to live a happier life, Theravada Buddhism seems like the main tradition that they would be thinking of.

While I don't personally am not able to participate in the type of retreats that Joseph's two centers offer, from a scientific perspective I admire the many "monk in an MRI" studies, many sponsored by the Dalai Lama or other Buddhist leaders, which show very convincingly, that that level of training makes dramatically positive changes in people's brains. Mainstream science has shown using brain scans that those monks and long-term meditators have greater activity and more neurons in the portions of their brains related to happiness and peace. Something truly to admire, even for someone like myself for whom a simple 6 1/2 minute meditation sometimes seems like a big challenge :D :D

I generally felt the same way as you, Jan. While it was fun to listen to Dan Harris, Mark Williams is the one who speaks to me the most. I admired Joseph, but from a bit of a distance.

For anyone reading this who isn't sure if they should sign up, the Mark Williams interview will be available throughout the entire month:
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/mark-williams/

By the way, Jan, you mentioned how happy you are to be back, but it is also such a wonderful pleasure to have you back. Your consideration and thoughtfulness tend to elevate the threads that you participate in in a way that I think Dr. Sarno and the other TMS doctors appreciate (after all, for many Internet searchers, our discussions represent the TMS movement, which is a substantial responsibility). It's a pleasure to have you back. The same goes for several other members in this thread, who elevated our discussions wonderfully, and whom I am very happy to see posting again. :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    JanAtheCPA, angelic333 and mike2014 like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, thanks for showing me how to watch the mindfulness meditation sessions. It opened for me fine today (Sunday).

I will watch that audio you posted above.

Today's session with Jono Fisher was interesting but only as background. I wish he'd have spent some time on how to do MM.
    I found some guided mindfulness meditations on Youtube that helped me learn how to do it.

I'll start a new thread now on one of those guided sessions from Youtube.

6. Ellen

I think the accent takes things out of the realm of the familiar just enough to cause me to pay more attention.

JanAtheCPA, mike2014 and Forest like this.
  7. Ellen

I did get a lot out of Goldstein's discussion of the importance of acceptance of our periods of "non-mindfulness". After I find that I've gotten caught up in my thoughts, I sometimes am hard on myself about it. Of course that's the inner bully--to tie it in with TMS teachings. I always need to be reminded that acceptance and suspending judgement extends to myself, not just others.

So when I find that I've gotten caught up in the delusions of my thoughts, I try to just say "Oops, I did it again..." to quote Britney Spears. Bet no one thought Britney Spears would be quoted in a thread on mindfulness :D

JanAtheCPA, angelic333 and Forest like this.
  8. mike2014

Lol these pop culture references may help improve search optimisation and allow the younger generation to discover TMS, good work Ellen :)

JanAtheCPA, Ellen and Forest like this.
  9. angelic333

angelic333 Peer Supporter

So far I have enjoyed Joseph Goldstein best. Perhaps this is because it is very similar to the Buddhist practice I follow. I was a bit disappointed with the meditation, that it didn't go deeper to connect with inner peace that exists in our hearts. Fore , meditation doesn't happen in my head, it happens in my heart....

mike2014 and Forest like this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

Thank you, Forest - that means a lot to me :)

I'm with you there, which is why I am thrilled at the number of mindfulness mentors who are now assuring us that even three minutes can help change your brain! Mark Williams has several free meditations (none of them long) on his web site Peace In A Frantic World - including one called "Three-Minute Breathing Space". Three minutes!
    http://franticworld.com/free-meditations-from-mindfulness/

mike2014 and Forest like this.
  11. Forest

Those look great, Jan. I'm afraid I lost a little time when I saw that they had "the chocolate meditation." That is something that I can definitely get behind! I will have to pick up some chocolate. I wonder if you could do it with Oreos?

Here's an adapted version of their introductory text:
    The Chocolate Meditation

Connecting with your senses is one of the core benefits of Mindfulness meditation. Many traditions use nuts or fruit as the focus for a meditation on the senses of taste, smell and touch. But you can use any food at all so we developed a meditation based on chocolate. Why not do it now by doing the meditation below

Click here to download the mp3 audio file

Perhaps tomorrow or the next day.

mike2014 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  12. JanAtheCPA

you crack me up :hilarious:

Forest and mike2014 like this.
  13. Forest

And today's interview is about mindful eating!
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/susan-albers/
    By author and clinical psychologist from the Cleveland clinic, Susan Albers

I may use jam instead of chocolate as I don't have chocolate handy and there is plenty to be mindful of with it. Or maybe some pineapple. I have that, too. Either way, due to brain plasticity, I'll have a stronger and healthier brain at the end.

And a full belly.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. JanAtheCPA

Let's not skip over Jono Fisher, a bit slow to start and the title for his interview wasn't overly appealing to me but I am keeping an open mind! In fact, I really liked his story and his message and he's easy to listen to. Better yet, he makes mindfulness practice very accessible, and I intend to listen again.

angelic333 and mike2014 like this.
  15. mike2014

Some interesting techniques today regarding mindful eating. But I felt Susan really pushed her books too much.

16. Forest

Yeah, I liked today's because it made me feel like I can start mindfully eating today, but it felt like it was more about getting control of one's eating than about mindfulness itself. Of course, Mindfulness can be very helpful for long term eating habits, but I was a bit more interested in learning about mindfulness for its own sake.

I didn't expect to like Bono 's talk as much as I did. I liked how he seemed like a down to earth and authentic guy. I liked how he applied mindfulness to living and in particular to living meaningful and happy life. I loved his story, too.

I also noted that for some reason, Jono's interview is still available even though the next one is also available. Sweet!
    http://themindfulnesssummit.com/sessions/jono-fisher/

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I wish the summit stuck more with HOW to practice mindful meditation. We all know it's good for us. I had to go through quite a bit
    to learn how to eat better for mindfulness but never learned what that takes. I don't want to sign up for more newsletters and get on more lists.

18. mike2014

I quite liked Jono's interview too. It was very personal - I enjoyed how he adopted mindfullness techniques without conciously being aware of the practice until later.

I agree, it did seem as if it was more geared towards being in control of one's eating. I remember Richard Gere (who also practices Buddhism), make the very same reference about cookies and how each subsequent cookie is less fulfilling than the first and with mindfulness we can stop any cravings or bad habits.

angelic333 likes this.
  19. JanAtheCPA

Okay, guys - I have a couple of points to make here.

1. The summit is not intended to teach us mindfulness. The goal is to introduce a wider world audience to the many ways in which mindfulness can be used to improve our lives - and to introduce us to some of the many and varied teachers, authors, and practitioners who are finding ways to bring mindfulness to the world. This is exactly what I expected from this project - but then it is very similar in that regard to the Self-Acceptance Project of two (three?) years ago.

2. I don't mind the book plugs at all - Susan's books are not yet very popular on Amazon but they consistently receive high ratings. As far as I'm concerned, if just one person buys one of her books and achieves a healthier lifestyle, it's worth it, because overconsumption of unnatural food is killing humanity in general - while millions still starve. And I love Melli's question at the end of each interview - what would the world look like if a billion people were practicing mindfulness? Her goal, and the goal of many of the leaders in this field, is simple - change the world, one person at a time. Sounds like what we're doing here! It's why so many of us come back to help others.

The Summit is co-sponsored by SoundsTrue, the organization that produced the Self-Acceptance Project. I gave them my email address however long ago that was, but I've received very few emails from them, and I am quite positive that they did not put me onto any other email list. The vast majority of junky email I receive is from outfits I've never heard of trying to sell me accounting and tax-related products and services. That's because every continuing ed conference I attend (to maintain my license) DOES sell my name and email address, as does my state board of accountancy, my two professional membership organizations, and the IRS practitioner registration program.

Bottom line: at no cost, we are getting to hear and see interviews with some of the most amazing teachers in this field. Coming up: Tara Brach, Rick Hanson, and John Kabat-Zinn! I am loving this.

MatthewNJ, Ellen, angelic333 and 2 others like this.
  20. MatthewNJ

MatthewNJ Well known member

For those of you that may still doubt why mindfulness is useful, here is a quick read on slowing down

angelic333 and JanAtheCPA like this.