1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The last time I exercised...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Carol Omans, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Carol Omans

Carol Omans Peer Supporter

...besides doing physical therapy exercises every day, which were doing nothing to help the pain, the last time I really exercised was last summer when I went swimming. I was in pain then and couldn't really do the kind of swimming that I love, but I managed to swim a few laps and tread water for awhile. It felt great to be back in the water, but sad that I couldn't do what I used to do without pain during and after the swim. It left me feeling as if I had to give up everything I loved to do. Very sad. A lot of grief. I'm hoping to be able to swim this summer pain free thanks to Dr. Sarno.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

"Perhaps the most important (but most difficult) thing patients must do is to resume all physical activity, including the most vigorous." "HEALING BACK PAIN" pg. 79.

Why not do it now? If it's TMS, that's what the Good Doctor recommends, return to physical activity, even the most strenuous. He discontinued sending patients to PT because it continued the incorrect thinking patterns that the problem was structural. I run thirty minutes almost daily in the pool with a flotation belt and use a waterproof FM radio that makes the time fly, I do some backstroke to stretch out.

3. Carol Omans

Thank you for the support. I have started to walk again as walking was also a favorite. I couldn't even walk a half a block. I overdid it the other day and was hurting the next day, so I'm taking it slow and doing a little more each day. The pool is a great idea. I'm willing to try. I know it's the right thing for me. Thanks again!

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good you're getting back to MOVEMENT! I wonder if the pain TMS'ers feel is "good pain", normal pain, from just sore muscles that have not been used for a while due to the NOCEBOS of the modern era of doctoring and commercials selling us something for every bodily issue and ambulance chasing boiler room TV law firm referral services. Good you're walking, next back to the pool, I like running in the pool because I feel it tones every part of my body up to my nose due to the resistance of the water. Do you have a hot-tub for your sore muscles afterwards?

5. Carol Omans

No hot tub, but on June 1st, the pool in my townhouse development opens. Can't wait as it's so warm and convenient. I went to a TMS doc in Chicago and he said I should walk instead of physical therapy exercises, so that's been my main thing. I live close to a Botanic Garden so I walk there and it's beautiful. I get a gorgeous view while I'm pushing past the pain. Hoping this June to walk and swim. Thanks for yours.

Tennis Tom likes this.