1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TED talk on the power of the mind and 'The Placebo Effect'

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Nattycakes, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

We are all SO much more powerful than what you think! I LOVED this talk! You can heal yourself or make yourself sick! Just more proof that standard western medicine isn't necessarily the only way :) AND this is coming from a doctor ;) Only guess what... You don't need a doctor all the time! You have the power within! Make sure to watch till the very end.. That's where it gets reeeeally good!

Enjoy <3

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Nattycakes, thank you very much for posting this video by Lissa Rankin, MD.
    She strongly endorses the MindBody concept which is Dr. Sarno's basic theory of TMS.
    She gives vivid examples of people who healed even from life-threatening illnesses through the
    power of positive thinking that the body can heal us, if we believe it can. She talks too about
    the effects of placebos and nocebos, one example of which was a man going bald who was
    given a placebo and he said his hair was growing back.

Rankin says we all have an "inner pilot light" which leads us to know what is out of balance
    in our lives which can affect our immune system. Her recipe for good physical and mental health
    is "love, service, gratitude, and pleasure." The video is well worth the 20 minutes to learn more
    about that and her other reports on the MindBody connection.

Nattycakes likes this.
  3. Dahlia

Dahlia Well known member

I loved it, too!
    Thanks so much for posting.

Boston Redsox and Nattycakes like this.
  4. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

You are all SO welcome! I love posting in this forum... Because you are all open to these concepts :) and they are the way :)

Walt, I love that too.. "Inner pilot light"... She is an amazing woman and I am SO so glad the mind body concept is becoming more mainstream and helping people heal in every way! If you heal that inner self.. You heal the body.

Dahlia likes this.
  5. Laudisco

Laudisco Well known member

This is a remarkable and compelling talk! Thanks for sharing it. :) Very inspiring!!

Nattycakes likes this.
  6. Barb M.

Barb M. Peer Supporter

That was great! Thanks for posting it!

Nattycakes likes this.
  7. wendyd

wendyd Peer Supporter

If you go to her web site and sign up (its free and so far, seems legit) you get an email with some good info, including a link to her guided meditation. I listened to it last night and I really liked it. She has an easy voice to listen to and I will definitely use that one again.

8. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I started reading Dr Lissa Rankin's book, 'Mind Over Medicine' yesterday. I would highly recommend it, especially for people like me who are very analytical and need 'the proof'. She is also a very entertaining writer. I just read the paragraph to my husband where she writes about the nocebo effect on medical students studying for finals. Hilarious.

Nattycakes likes this.
  9. filipe

filipe Peer Supporter

Thanks Nattycakes :) This is a great video. It was the fear of having an uncurable neurological disease that almost killed me. Most of the people don't believe the power of the Placebo/nocibo effect. Most f my friends think it is bad science... Maybe Big Pharma should give them sugar pills instead of dangerous drugs...

The problem is that Placebo is not good for the medical business... once we understand that we are our own healers they loose their jobs...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Nattycakes likes this.