1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TED talk by Joe Dispenza, author of You Are the Placebo

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Ellen, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Very interesting TED talk by Joe Dispenza, author of You Are the Placebo, on the neuroscience of "changing your mind". It provides insight into the process of TMS healing--how knowledge, repetition, and experience result in changing habits and developing a new state of being.

2. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

Excellent TED thanks for sharing Ellen. I can't wait to get into his book!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I know that the traditional allopathic MDs would point out that Dr Dispenza has a Ph.D. (with honors) in chiropractic medicine. However, in this TED talk he does outline a transactional bridge between the operation of the autonomic nervous system and the autoimmune system via what Bruce Lipton has called epigenetics, the intimate connection between intellectual thought and emotional experience and how our DNA manifests. Very, very interesting cutting edge stuff I would say. Kicks the heck out of the orthodoxy of biological determinism, doesn't it?

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am sorry but I can't not take this guy serious…this Ted talk is great but then again a lot of them are.. He pushes his books and seminars to much .

5. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I would like to see some peer-reviewed scientific double blind studies confirming his evidence showing reversal of let's say Parkinson's disease using the methods he uses in his seminars.

6. Mala

Mala Well known member

I have always had a lot of time for what he has to say.

What he says makes sense- a lot of sense. We are what we think. In many ways he is saying what Sarno says but in a different way.

Dispenza says we are not victims of our genes, that we can alter the course of our suffering by changing the way we think. Sarno say the same when he tells us to ignore the pain, repudiate the symptoms & just do it! They are both telling us to override the thoughts and habits that are causing prolonged suffering.

Dispenza also says our PERSONALITY IS OUR PERSONAL REALITY. Well our personality is nothing more than a culmination of a lifetime of thoughts & experience which have translated into behaviour. We become victims of our own behaviour. Change the thoughts, change the experience & other changes will follow.

The problem why many ppl do not recover lies in the fact that to change requires effort- tremendous effort! We all want to just read & expect to be cured but just reading won't do it. We all want someone else to do the work for us & that doesn't do it either. Changing the way u think & how u react to yr thoughts is the hardest thing to do & thats why ppl r stuck in the same place & don't see progress.

Change is uncomfortable but if we keep thinking the same way, behaving the same way then well then the outcome will be the same.

Mala

mike2014 likes this.
  7. Boston Redsox

Mala

I agree with you/and him 100 percent what he says make a lot of sense what I don't care for in his books or utube is his constant selling of his seminars and course I feel its in bad taste …save it for later. Thats all.

I do love his whole methodology, but save the sales man act for another time.

Marco

mike2014 and BruceMC like this.
  8. Thaxter

Thaxter New Member

I really enjoyed hearing this and have never heard of the author. I just checked out his book on amazon--looks like something I would enjoy. I felt that much of what he said hear made sense and helped me to visualize how repetition of new ways of thinking can break the pain signals. Listening to this with TMS in mind made a lot click. Thanks for sharing!

9. Boston Redsox

He's a salesman

10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

11. Boston Redsox

12. Leonor007

Leonor007 New Member

He is a farce. Incredible how serious and interesting he sounds in this video. There are a lot of pseudo-healers that at first appear professional. I wish real therapy could be more affordable. Negative conditioning is a big part of tms, but not that easily treated, just by being aware and stopping that behavior...

RozieHolland likes this.
  13. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Peer Supporter

For me the proof is in the pudding: does it work? Skeptical but interested, I bought his "You are the Placebo" CD. It cost about $30 and that money was well spent for me because the guided meditation took me to a profound, and profoundly relaxing, place. The first time through was a bit scary, there is a lot! of letting go of self, and I would not reccomend it to everyone, particularly if mental health is feeling fragile. I got past the fear and have listened to it many more times since. Yes, there is one part that comes off as hokey to me, but overall it was deep and worth it. For me! Hey, this journey is so freaking individual! I have not accessed any more of his products, and may not, as I have found so much wisdom in other places...like this forum!

14. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

This guy is super dodgy, I read the book and nearly got sucked in. Search other threads to read about him

15. MM35

MM35 Newcomer

First I want to say hi to everyone, I am new to this forum.
    I am soo sory that you are focusing on money and how much dr joe dispenza earn insted of listen and understand. Someone is giving a solution, someone is helping, someone is telling a truth...no he must be "super dogy"?? Come on people!!! He is the one! Relax and listen... I didnt have to give him money for anything an yet he change my life!
    Sory if I had some grammatic mistake, english is not my first language.

16. MM35

MM35 Newcomer

He teaches us to prosper, teaches us to live better, to be unconditionally happy, make a fortune ... but he should not be successful? If he was a poor man you would say- he is giving us key to sucess but he cant help him self??

17. thecomputer

thecomputer Well known member

If you look into this guys history it is clear he has been part of something for a huge portion of his life that is extremely dodgy!! What the bleep do we know was produced by that dodgy organisation. I read his book, and yes it can seem convincing, and a lot of what he says may be based in truth. But any quantum physicist will tell you that his explanations are ridiculous! Not to mention he tours the world constantly for huge amounts of money 'healing' people. Anyway, I suggest looking up other threads about him on this forum. There is one that is very in depth and explains better than i can

BruceMC likes this.
  18. hodini

hodini Peer Supporter

I am glad to see some very healthy skepticism with regard to Dispenza. His association with Ramtha's school of Enlightenment and the philosophy of that "school" is telling.

For those of you who do not know, Ramtha is a channeled warrior who became enlightened after sitting on a rock while mortally wounded for 7 years. If you believe the creatures pitch, as he/she/it tells it, Ramtha, since attaining godhood has come to earths surface to teach all in the "school" to become the Gods that they already are (for between $800-1500 per week).

Dispenza moved from being a student to a treasured teacher once JZ noticed he could spout her philosophy and ride shotgun for her. In Ramtha parlance, "You create your own reality". Meaning, you are responsible for all that happens to you. No exceptions. If you are raped, robbed, killed, have cancer, born with a disability,etc., you have created it. Why? You might be asking, "there was a lesson you needed to learn!" or an experience you needed. Serial killers...... I guess they must be slow learners!

Moving on to the "What the bleep film" which I viewed because I had a family member involved with the school at that time and which was produced by JZ Knight and students from the school. I was quite surprised when I saw Dr. Alpert in the film appearing to be supportive of the films take on Quantum physics.

Being familiar with his work, I gave him a ring.

In a several hour conversation, he patiently explained why the "you create your own reality" has to be a false concept and how quantum physics do not support it and have absolutely nothing to do with it. He had been snookered into appearing in the film, had spent hours explaining on film why this was so and was plenty upset to find much of his knowledge ending up on the cutting room floor so that it made it appear that he supported their nonsense. He had signed a release so there was nothing he could do about it. Just goes to show that scientists and others with all those letters after their names could use good agents also!

One of my interactions with Dispenza was when my family member asked that I go to an introductory event for RSE.
    My family member knew that I would never allow one penny of mine to line JZ's pocket. This event was free.

The RSE crew knew of me and were aware I was unhappy with my family members involvement, so, I made sure to let my family member know that I would be asking questions and that I didn't want to cause any embarrassment or problems for them. They insisted I go because they were confident all my questions would be answered.

From the "school" there was Linda Evans, Dispenza, Micheal Ledwidth( resident expert on religion, also at that time a Catholic priest who had been run out of Ireland as a pedofile). After a year or so of my communicating with the Vatican and asking how could they ordain this guy teaching at a place that is taught by a channeled entity contending to be God and who screeches profanities about the Catholic Church, they finally ex-communicated him. There was also, Greg Simmons who was head honcho at the time was running the show. He, like Dispenza have left RSE to run their own dog and pony shows.

During the event, Linda gave her testimonial about how wonderful the school is blah, blah, blah....Dispenza gave his "we only use 10% of our brains" fallacy, and other claims were made which they claimed to be all backed up with medical documentation. Among three of these claims, were a woman who had grown new permanent teeth, another student who had broken her arm and healed it in 6 hours, and another student that had been cured of terminal cancer. The spontaneous remission of cancer is a possibility as that happens in a percentage of the population. As I found out later when speaking to the head of the dental dept. at UCLA there are persons (while rare) who have a second set of permanent teeth behind ones which are there but they would have shown up in an x-ray, the broken bone healed in six hours....well......

So, at the end of the event, I went up to Dispenza and Simmons and said "You know, those were some pretty incredible claims that their "teachings" had produced". I asked if they would make the documentation available to me to review.
    They said "Of course!" they let me know how to contact them for it.

I followed up, speaking of pulling teeth; I kept getting the run around until they finally put me in touch with a writer who was doing a book on the students in the school. I asked him if these stories were part of his book, he said yes, I let him know that I had been authorized by the school to review the documentation and he said "Oh, I never asked for any documentation, I am just gathering the students experiences".
    Well, that was that, there was no documentation as they had claimed. It is amazing the minuscule percentage of people who ever attempt to follow up when they hear claims like that. Hucksters like those at RSE and elsewhere count on the fact that no one will ever call their bluff and since it is house rules, they always win big time!

After about 3 months of inquiry into the subject and all the while forwarding all communications to my family member, I let my family member know that I was going to drop my inquiry because there was no there , there. They insisted I continue because the school demanded that they have "integrity" and they should practice what they preach so to speak. So, more back and forth for the next 3 months until it was so obvious it was a dead end deception and so, I stopped.

When my family member finally left the "school" they let me know that being able to see the "school's" behavior as opposed to just hearing their words had been one of the factors that facilitated their leaving and disillusionment with RSE.

Over the last 20 years, I have compassionately worked with several dozens of persons involved in what I prefer to call totalistic organizations with regard to getting them to be able to re-evaluate how they came to believe what they believe. My success rate is about 35-40%. Beware of those who say they have helped others in whatever; teaching, technique, or guidance and have been successful "except for a couple of people" Remember the old adage, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't!"

Forest and Ellen like this.
  19. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

I have enjoyed listening to some of the Hay House authors. But often, My instinct hears a sales pitch and not genuine help. Funnily enough, one of them is Anita Moorjani who says she is NOT a spiritual leader and we should be our own guru. Learn to love yourself because you are magnificent.

I'm a bit of a nerd and tho I realize we humans can't know everything, I really bristle when I hear scientific bunk as 'proof.'

As a TMSer, I believe in the power of the mind/brain to both hurt and heal. But I don't believe in magic.

Forest likes this.
  20. hodini

hodini Peer Supporter

Hi Mouser,

Your last sentence is so true. No reason to not believe in magic though, but I get what you are saying. I have given some talks at senior centers with a magician friend of mine and I start out by fooling some in the audience to believe they have psychic powers (my magician friend is a shill in the audience), then ask if anybody would be interested in learning how to develop the power of their mind through some courses that would help them develop their mind. When I first go in I ask for a show of hands of how many believe in psychic abilities ( I am a NYer, so there is usually only a 20-25% positive response) when I'm done though, I ask the same question and the response rate goes up to 50-60%. That is the first part of my talk. For the second part, I introduce my magician friend and we unravel for the audience how we were able to do what we did and in such a short period of time. (he also entertains them with some illusions and sleight of hand).

Words, and the use of words in the hands of one wanting to influence can be amazingly effective. Just because someone uses a negative like the person you spoke of does not go to the veracity of the person, or, what they are proposing etc. Part of the big draw of JZ Knights Ramtha is that it/she/he claims the reason he has decided to present himself in a womans body is so no one will idolize him. That he is not a guru or spiritual leader, in fact, he/she/it deliberately separates its self from those like that and says that those who follow it's teachings will learn to be their own God.

RSE claims it is based on ancient mystery schools within which it takes 7 years to complete, yet there are those who are still there over 30 years and their lives compared to when they first joined (financial, health, emotional) have diminished, not improved, but the hook of completing in 7 years is long since forgotten replaced with fear and doubt of the outer society and all information that comes from it.

The internet has become a powerful tool for spreading influence that is reflected in related stock prices all the way to the spread of hateful ideologies such as ISIS and Neo- NAzi groups and everything in between.

Words can be used to insert thoughts that bypass your normal critical thinking processes especially when used in the negative such as "don't think of a black cat".....see what I mean.

I often explain in order to help unravel and ease the self blame which often comes when someone has been deceived into group through deceptive measures the difference between magic and what they have been through even though the same techniques might be present.

When one goes to a Magic show, they go with the expectation to be fooled. If you can see how the tricks are being done you would think the price of your ticket may not be worth it. However, while there, you do look to see if you can find out how the tricks are done (in, fact the magician uses this propensity to fool and distract you).
    However, when you go to a spiritual, health, self-improvement, political event you do not have the expectation of being tricked. So if a spiritual experience is provided for you, a rapid health improvement is provided, an "ah-ha" moment, etc. you feel it internally and are not aware that it may have been orchestrated from the outside.

This then becomes a very hard experience to examine or even want to because in most cases it is positive and felt VISCERALLY.

I have often come across in my dialogue with those who have been exposed to influence tactics a total disregard as to the history of their leader,guru, politician etc regardless of the severity be it that they have abused power through sexually exploiting members, absconding with funds, outright lying, etc. I often get a response similar to "Say what you will, I know this ( being the doctrine, philosophy, power of the teachings or theory) to be true, I know it with every fiber of my being!" I attempt to get the person to explain if they are saying that truth= reality.
    In the case of many "new-age ers" I get the answer, "That's my truth" Which is a thought stopping device meant to keep out material that creates cognitive dissonence within them.

If I have been able to gain enough trust to proceed, because at this point there appears to be no way to explain intellectually what is going on, I ask if they would be willing to participate in a short experiment which would require them to be blindfolded for a min or so (I have pre-prepared if I am in an environment I have control over, if not I improvise).

I blindfold the person sitting at a table (RSEers are particularly open to this as they spend a great portion of their time doing disciplines blindfolded) , I then quietly put a bowl or pot of very hot water (not hot enough to scald) on one side and a bowl or pot of very cold water on the other side and then place a bowl or pot of room temperature water in the middle. I ask the person sitting to point out one finger on each hand and explain that I am going to be putting each of their fingers in a glass of water for 15 seconds. I proceed and while the fingers are in the water I ask them to tell me what they feel. They state the obvious that one glass feels cold and the other hot. I then tell them that I am going to be putting their fingers in two other glasses and place them in the room temperature bowl and repeat my question. They reply that one is cold and one is hot. I ask them if they are sure and they confirm they are certain. I remove the blindfold to show them that both fingers were in water of exactly the same temperature as a thermometer would prove.

I explain that I have never been in doubt as to what they felt or questioned that. However, I just wanted to point out that felling sometimes does not represent the reality of the situation. They usually find this of interest and ask questions about it which tells me that their critical thinking has been engaged and I proceed to explain how their feelings and perceptions had been altered by the fact, not only that they had been blindfolded, but that because the event immediately proceeding the room temperature water (reality) that they were exposed that is what changed their perception of reality however, when the blindfold came off, it enabled them to understand why they had interpreted reality in a misguided manner.

Pain is one of the easiest things to change a persons perception of, be it by altering their perception of it, giving them knowledge about how and why it may be occurring, providing a distraction so they are not focused on it. Much of this could be given by grandma kitchen table common sense and does not need a more complex explanation. Sometimes any explanation is not currently available. This is not to say that the person experiencing it is making it up, exaggeration it, or, that they may come to believe that they are the one creating it, or have little or no control over it. I have read in places on this site that it is thought that 80% of all pain is psychogenic. I find that statement to be difficult to wrap my head around given my own experiences and view of my my surrounding culture. I do believe that 80% of the population can be aided by pain relief methods that involve psychogenic techniques.