1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Symptom Imperative

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by linnyc87, Dec 25, 2020.

1. linnyc87

linnyc87 Peer Supporter

I'm feeling defeated today. Yesterday was a tough, highly uncomfortable day. I think I'm experiencing the symptom imperative really severe. My usual neck pain and transformed into many different pains over the last few weeks, the last week (and yesterday) was the peak of pain. My anxiety has been high since menstrual cycle last week and I'm now having tinnitus and ear pressure. I hadn't slept the night before. I tried sooo many different self soothing techniques and they all made my sensatios worst. then used the Claire Weekes method and everything got even worst! I had an emotional break down with my mom and then went to the ER.
    I try so hard to not go to the ER. I try even harder to not take meds. But I'm at my breaking point. I also think I need to see an endocrinologist to check my hormones because everything always gets worse around my monthly cycle.

I've been doing deep, slow breathing exercises and they made my muscles even tighter and the ringing in my ear got louder and louder. I think tried to tell the sensations to get worst (because I heard people talk about using that technique), and sure enough, the sensations definitely got worst. I don't understand. I really need some loving encouraging words right now. I can admit I'm highly sensitized and flooded my fear. Knowing my sensations are harmless and not life threatening aren't enough to soothe me. In fact, I don't know what soothes me. I'm feeling low and having a hard time seeing a point in living. I may have to succumb to medication and I hate that.

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I so understand your fear of medications, but sometimes you may want to give it a short try and make sure you don't stay with them long. Maybe a low dose of anti-anxiety drug for a few weeks would not be a bad idea.

I had terrible bouts of anxiety, insomnia anger and depression with my PMS in my 40es. Add body aches and severe migraines on top of it. At some point, I could not control my emotions at all. I started taking plant estrogen (over the counter Estroven), and turned from a raging animal into a normal person literally within 2-3 days. I never took it continuously, only for a few days before the cycle. Aside from that, it looks like your anxiety is out of control and it is feeding all of your symptoms to the point that it becomes a self-propelled prophecy aka symptoms imperative. Try to live your days hour by hour, and you will pull through!

linnyc87 likes this.
  3. linnyc87

linnyc87 Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for responding. I think my fear comes from all the terrible stories I've heard about meds. But on the other, I've heard great stories as well. I took a drug cocktail last year that wad pretty rock for the first 2 weeks, but that could've been to how much I was taking (3 different pills, times a day). This time I've been prescribed just one pill. I tried it earlier in the year and I didn't like how depressed it may me feel. I stopped taking it immediately.

I may have to suck it up and get back on it though.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Fear is a single major contributor to TMS. If you learn how to tame your fear, medication is no longer needed.

5. linnyc87

linnyc87 Peer Supporter

That's so true. Thanks again!

TG957 likes this.
  6. emporeon027

emporeon027 Peer Supporter

How are you doing? your case looks a lot like mine. I also develop tinnytus after a long period of hand pain, but it started to gone await now, but only to be switch by sacrum and leg pain and upper neck pain some times, i know i can do this, its hard, probably i need psicoterapy but i still wanna keep trying by myselft a little more, i´ve impruve a lot in this lat weeks as well