1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Symptom imperative with exercise

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by HattieNC, May 15, 2019.

1. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

I've mentioned in other posts that one of my goals has been to resume exercising on my elliptical. I love to use an elliptical because the benefit is immediate. You can burn calories, exercise muscles, and get a cardio workout all at the same time. The last time I used it was 2014 -right before my "physical breakdown" as I call it. I was in pretty bad pain the last time, so the mental association is there. That's why it's been sitting in the corner of the spare bedroom collecting dust.

I knew I would have symptom imperatives, so I began very slowly last week. Working my way up to 11 minutes yesterday. Today, I feel like I've been hit by a truck. In pain from my neck to my ankles. Logically, I know there's no way that using an elliptical for 11 minutes could do this to me. In fact, it's almost funny since a few weeks ago I went on a hike with my granddaughter and barely had any soreness afterward.

I know I have to get back on the horse and face my mechanical foe tomorrow. I'm going to do a guided meditation during my lunch break. I'll try to do some other type of activity for exercise this afternoon. Even if I have to limp my way through it.

Thank you to this forum for giving me a safe place to come to when the going gets tough.

Ellen, westb and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. NameK

NameK Well known member

I think returning back to exercise or activities was tough for me at first (golf, basketball, weightlifting, cardio) but I always think about outcome independence and it helps for me.

Also one of my buddies has "lyme disease" and "flat feet" so he always has symptoms (tms) . And gets foot pain after golf and basketball but he said to me " well I'm gonna have foot pain whether I play basketball and golf or not so I might as well have fun "

Initially when I resumed pshyical activity my symptoms were alittle worse but overtime I think exercise has been the biggest help in healing for me as I feel I let out my emotions while weightlifting( more so anger). I'm definitely having less pain then before and my pain isnt always constant now it comes and goes but I almost always have muscle tension somewhere. It typically doesnt bother me (most people have muscle tension somewhere in their body when they are stressed.)

I think most of my pain started as a result of too much sitting thanks to my current job and I got lazy and stopped exercising altogether which gave me alot and too much time to think about my past, and future instead of living in the moment and present.

Plus my life in the past 3 years since my pain started has gotten alot more stressful so theres that too.

Dfw and HattieNC like this.