1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Stomach issues and the inner bully

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by PussInBootz, Mar 31, 2016.

1. PussInBootz

PussInBootz New Member

For years I have lived with an grumpy stomach (I say grumpy because some days I am fine and the next I am not, and I can have eaten the same things). I bloat and get stomach pains on a daily basis. I was diagnosed with mild IBS and prescribed peppermint oil. I have no issue accepting that this is all emotionally caused... although I do still have lingering beliefs that it might be connected to food intolerances too.

I also have globus pharyngeus that I am certain is connected to anxiety.

So, I have started working through the recovery program prior to starting the SEP and I am finding it very helpful, but, I don't know how to stop the inner bully. Does the SEP go into this in a more step-by-step manner?

I think my biggest issue is the bloating and how it makes me feel about my body image. I feel huge and although I am aware that these thoughts come from the inner bully, it is true, I am huge when I am bloated. How do I shut up a voice that is telling the truth? Or do I somehow have to come to terms with the fact that I am not as slim as I would like to be?

I really want to work on this inner bully but some of the things it says feel so justified.

How do you counter it in every moment? How do you notice it? Will the SEP teach me this?

I think the TMS perfectionist trait is saying that I need to get the recovery program licked before I can move onto the SEP but if I know that the RP is just giving me an overview and the SEP will help me learn it then I can allow myself to move on with it.

Thanks in advance

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, PussInBoots. I think it's all connected... bloating is from TMS, some repressed emotion(s) and the SEProgram will help you discover what they are.

Your Inner Bully is another symptom of TMS.

Don't let your Inner Bully make you feel bad that you are not as slim as you would like to be. I used to be a skinny but over the years put on some pounds, although I'm not fat. I do have a stomach, as most older men have. I look at before and after photos of even top athletes and notice they no longer look as slim and fit as they used to. Be happy with yourself no matter how you look.

The way to fight your Inner Bully about being bloated is to tell yourself you like the way you look.