1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

STEVE O BOOK

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

The pages that hit home to me was 196-197 ,basically what we should do to take care of our healing.

Hes basically says we need to look whats currently going on in our life in the present nit some crap your aunt pissed u off about 30 yrs ago.

Would like some feed back on this

2. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Well, I haven't read the book, but that line made me laugh. :D

I do think it's important to work at improving the here and now. But if you are, like me, someone who hasn't dealt with issues from your past properly, then I think it's a good idea to do so. I see it as a way to self-discovery and for me it has been important; as long as I repressed certain things they would just mess things up for me. I would say once you have dealt with the past, don't dwell on it. We have to find tools to deal with the present moment and our day to day life so we can move forward.

That's just my opinion and I'm sure that there's plenty of people here that knows far more about this than me.

3. Boston Redsox

Simplicity

Please excuse me but i did not mean to be little what happened in the past and it does have bearing on us. But FOR ME its about the know and how i am dealing with anger and whatever emotions that come up. Those 2 pages really it home.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2015
  4. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I know. I totally understand!

We all have our own paths to healing. What works for me might not work for you. I think you should listen to what your gut tells you and focus on dealing with things your way. In the Unlearn Your Pain program there are exercises to release anger in a safe way, I found them very useful.

5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

I seem to be coming to the realisation it is more about altering your automatic responses to some situations and thoughts. Almost like CBT but different because of the fact you can overcome the pain not just manage it.

Boston Redsox and Simplicity like this.
  6. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

That is what I'm working on right now. It's certainly not easy. My mind seem to be very stubborn. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015
  7. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Changing those automatic response is a crucial key to preventing buildup of tension and resulting pain. I talk about it in Ch. 7 of Rapid Recovery from Back and Neck Pain and teach it in my workshops and to my clients.

Some of these automatic responses were developed in us as children and some later in life. However, they are all mental and emotional habits that can easily be changed. Once that happens life is so much more enjoyable.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Marco, Steve O offers a lot of food for thought on pages 196-197. I'm not sure I can do what he suggests about thinking the body is not a part of you, and think of your spirit self. I'm so used to thinking and feeling in my body... I do at times remind myself that the Holy Spirit is within me, and in each of us, and that definitely is comforting.

9. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

I'm reading that book now, not due on the page as I'm reading the kindle version on my phone - don't think I'm at that point yet though. I can't help but think if he can over some so many issues then I, who only have half of that, have it easy - LOL.

10. Boston Redsox

I agree Walt that is a tough one for me also