1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Soul Food

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by plum, Nov 6, 2013.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Be this books, music, film or tv, what taking-your-mind-of-it-treasures do you love?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Book - Three Men in a Boat - an old classic , makes me explode with laughter.
    Music - Andreas Wollenweider (not sure whether that's spelt right! Beautiful music I have on a battered old cassette tape! Or if you want to cry - The Snow Goose by Camel.
    Film - Life is Beautiful - you cannot think of your own problems during or after this film!
    TV - comedy is good for pain relief, Fawlty Towers is the funniest series ever made. Ab Fab does it for
    me, as well as Miranda, The Good Life, Frasier, Dharma and Greg....

3. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Foreign films and television shows. I am so busy reading the subtitles and absorbing myself in the story that my body awareness all but disappears.

Too many books to mention. My reading of fiction has dropped to nothing in the last couple of years. I would like to get back into reading novels again, the kind that you can't put down, the kind that you are still reading when your other half comes home hungry for his evening meal and you haven't even defrosted the food. You tell him you aren't hungry but he throws something together and you eat it anyway to keep your strength up for the next chapter.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

H, girls. Good suggestions.
    I read a good novel a while ago and recommend it.
    RULES OF THE WILD by Franesca Marciano, about a young French woman
    and her life in South Africa with several lovers. A good romantic novel.

amazon.com books has it for about $10.

I also liked her next novel, CASA ROSSA.

5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

When I need to get my mind off something negative, I turn to listening to audio books by David Sedaris. I enjoying reading his stories too, but I love the sound of his voice reading his own material. He always makes me smile and takes me out of myself. You can listen to one of his stories for free on an old episode of
    This American Life http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/47/christmas-and-commerce and another one at http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/104/music-lessons The stories by Sarah Vowell and Anne Lamott on this last link are great fun too.

As for novels, I love psychological thrillers, as they are hard to put down once you start reading them. I think the best of this genre are by Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl, Dark Places, Sharp Objects and Tana French's Dublin series.

Great thread idea, Plum!

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Ellen and Plum.
    A good novel such as a psychological thriller, can take our minds off our pain.
    I'll listen to that audio book thread about Sedaris.
    I love soothing voices. My godmother had one and could put me to sleep reading the Oz books to
    my sister and me.

7. Becca

Becca Well known member

Love to read (favorite book of all time is To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read it at least 7 or 8 times, no joke) but lately, I just don't have the energy for it. (My brain gets tired.) So TV has become my Soul Food. If I had to pick three current shows to recommend, I'd say Parenthood (on NBC - great acting, fantastic writing, feels very realistic), Bones (on FOX - one of the better crime shows out there), and The Voice (on NBC - the only competition show with guaranteed amazing talent). Two amazing shows that are no longer on the air that I would gladly re-watch over and over are Dollhouse (a sci-fi show by Joss Whedon that was just brilliant) and Friday Night Lights (a show about a small town & football with just incredible acting and fantastic writing). Guilty pleasure (because we all have them) is The Vampire Diaries (on the CW, a network that produces the most ridiculous shows).

8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Becca, I completely agree about To Kill a Mockingbird --
    That book is the ultimate soul food!

Becca likes this.