1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Some progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dewey, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dewey

Dewey New Member

My pain is still there. But I'm starting to dwell on it less. I'm starting to adapt the attitude that I should not focus on it. I'm spending more time working on this program instead of thinking about my pain and browsing the internet for physical solves. I definitely feel like I'm unearthing interesting emotional material. And I've become more fearless in my exercising.

Last time I went through back pain the relief was practically immediate, and I didn't have to work too hard at it. So this time I'm still feeling frustrated that it's taking so much more time to contend with and my pain is barely subsiding. True to TMS-form, I'm upset with myself for being too slow at this recovery. I'm trying to remember to lighten up and take it slow. In fact, beyond this recovery, I've been trying to lighten up and take everything a little slower in my life. Because I'm always in overdrive and I'm way too hard on myself. It's starting to work. I'm catching myself in different ways throughout the day and challenging myself to slow down and ease up.

Learning to stop focusing on the pain is hard. I have to contend with it throughout the day. I am hoping that if I keep practicing consciously, eventually it'll sink down into my subconscious.

Peter likes this.
  2. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

I'm in the middle of a setback. It went from my back to my prostate...
    It seems to me there are two types of TMS'ers that can heal from pain. The ones that can heal fast but have pain coming back in different parts. And you have the slow healers that end up with a more permanent healing from TMS.
    I healed the first time within 2 weeks starting the program. This time Im going to journal slower and focus more on the 'why' im angry instead of 'what' made me angry (which what I did the first time around).

Goodluck on your journey.

Dewey likes this.
  3. georgethee

georgethee Peer Supporter

Here the 12 daily reminder coming from dr. Sarno. In #6 replace the work 'back' with whatever part of your body is bothering you.

1.The pain is due to TMS,not to a structural abnormality
    2.The direct reason for the pain is mild oxygen deprivation
    3.TMS is a harmless condition caused by my repressed emotions
    4.The principal emotion is my repressed ANGER
    5.TMS exists only to distract my attentions from the emotions
    6.Since my back is basically normal there is nothing to fear
    7.Therefore,physical activity is not dangerous
    8.And I MUST resume all normal physical activity
    9.I will not be concerned or intimidated by the pain
    10.I will shift my attention from pain to the emotional issues
    11.I intend to be in control-NOT my subconscious mind
    12.I must think Psychological at all times,NOT physical.

Print it on a piece of paper and post it on your fridge, wall, phone. Read it ever day.

Dewey likes this.
  4. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

Hey Dewey,

I know what you mean. I had some early TMS wins that came relatively easy.

Then I hit my core pain areas that are SLLLOOOOWWWW in healing. And relate to childhood pain. And perfectionism. And whatever else is next.

I really do think that easy road doesn't serve us though. In my better moments I am grateful for the TMS because without it, I wouldn't have addressed my childhood or perfectionism. Doing so makes me a much deeper, more loving husband, father, and human.

Of course, rapid and permanent dissolving of pain is nice too : )

But I keep finding my way back to surrender, acceptance, and patience. A very humbling process.

Good luck my friend.

Dewey likes this.