1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Somatic Experiencing-Hey it works

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Jul 12, 2013.

1. UnknownStuntman

UnknownStuntman Peer Supporter

Dear Eric, I'm sorry for your great loss.

Wilhelm Reich did much more and specific somatic work in the 20s than the early psychologists mentioned in Sarnos books. Since he was a communist in his ealy years and studied the biology and (sexual, lustful) energies of mental and physical changes, he wasn't respected after he split with his mentor Freud. I think Reich succeeded where Freud failed, though. He didn't buy into Freuds excuse, that humans are self destructive and therefore sometimes not curable. Reich saw the whole human being and he knew that all humans are good deep inside (the goodness is just covered up by an in childhood developed body armour) and our bodies self regulation skills are powerful once the body armour is weakened through working through tense areas.

Here's a "somatic experience" (Reich called it Vegetotherapy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetotherapy) session with a strong release of physical energy, similar to the ones Levine does. These things Reich already successfully did in the 1920s:

(THE SOMATIC SESSION is from minute 0:49:20 to 0:55:20, this is the bottom up approach, Not: Think about your father , feel the anger and hit the pillow. Rather: Soften the tension and wait what the tension wants to release/say: Try to relax it and see what emotions or traumatic pictures come up from that tension)

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you UnknownStuntman,
    This is some great advice and wisdom
    I appreciate your words of kindness
    I love the video- its powerful advice

3. UnknownStuntman

Hi Eric,

it's good you allowed yourself to really break down. I like Reich's theory about body armour. The armour (pain) stops us from living. Because of pleasure anxiety and pain anxiety. So much in somatic experiencing is about much rather feeling the emotional pain than being liveless. The armour helps us to get through difficult times, but if we wear it all the time - and boy it's heavy - we won't be able to dance! I just found this short article, it fits into the summer season:
    Breaking Through the Body Armour of Chronic Pain:
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...breaking-through-the-body-armour-chronic-pain

non US readers:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20110911...breaking-through-the-body-armour-chronic-pain

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Eric, I wondered how your father's death would affect you. You felt a return of pain
    but found that using somatic experiencing helped get over it.

Your experience reminded me... my father died when I was 21, while a freshman in
    college in Chicago. I loved him, although he used to put me down in front of his friends.
    I never knew why. It was not until a few months before he died of pneumonia that I felt
    we understood each other. We made peace between ourselves,
    and I've never had a bad dream about him. My older brother never had the heart-to-heart talk
    my Dad and I had one night, and my brother never forgave him for "falling short" as a father.
    I've read that if you don't forgive your father for any grievance(s) you have against him,
    you live with it the rest of your life. I think my brother did. Forgive others and forgive
    yourself. It's one of the best paths toward healing pain.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

You got that right Walt, I had a lot of different thoughts about pop.
    Through the years he was a man of great compassion.
    I never remember him getting tensed or mad ever really.

Its almost unreal but I had the privilege to have him as my dad.
    Sometimes folks are unsung heroes, Well pop was a man liked by everyone
    and im sure his memories will live on in the hearts of all the folks he helped.

He was like me in so many ways, he had power in his compassion
    he never even gave me a whopping. I guess he saw the hickory's mom used and backed away.
    He did feel the wrath of moms hickory's a few times though.
    It was funny, he was like 75 still running and living good like you Walt.

Then he looked right when he should have looked left-(He looked at a women)
    Mom saw him and went to whopping his tail.
    He was doing the Indian dance Walt, not dancing on top of the meat counter,
    Although on Easters he'd do that pretty often.

6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thanks for the articles Unknownstuntman
    it looked like some heavy Armor on the guy in the video above as you said
    So many of us have always ran from the pain
    isn't it something when we face it we usually win
    I know we have to balance and learning these new exceptional styles
    is truly tools for the battle-

7. UnknownStuntman

Hi Eric,
    your body and emotional armor seem pretty small since you set an example with your openess and kindness (maybe like your dad did?!). Even though a froum is not a natural environment it shows. You're very fortunate to have had a dad like this!

8. leslie0766

leslie0766 Peer Supporter

Enjoyed reading your story. I am new to the forum and have been looking around and reading. Your stories are uplifting and filled with life.

Something you said struck a cord with me. Unlike you, I did not have a good relationship with either of my parents. It was harder for me when my beloved cat died than when my parents passed. You mentioned your hands looking like your father's hands. My mother died in a nursing home after a hard life of sadness and alcohol abuse. I always remember when I saw her how old her hands looked and how I hated when she wanted to hold my hand, as so much had passed between us in my life that I just couldn't bear her trying to have a relationship with me. I'm working on that now, but a funny thing...when I look at my aging hands now, they look just like hers and it has been sort of upsetting. Maybe it reminds me I am getting old, or it reminds me of her or probably both.

I always feel sadness for those of you that have had great relationships with your parents. Must be so hard in that loss. Glad to hear you are healing and your joy has returned.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Gigi. You/we are in very good company with Herbie and Forest, and others posting TMS healing on the forum.
    They helped me to heal. I still get a little back pain from walking but Sarno's 12 Daily Reminders and techniques
    from Herbie and Forest and others help me to focus on other things so the pain goes away.

It's a toss-up, far as I can see... getting angry at our pain or trying to ignore it and be happy in the moment.
    Sometimes I do one, sometimes the other. I used to yell at my subconscious and I think it got the message
    that I got its message that it was causing me pain so I would think about my repressed emotions.

Another recent post was from someone who said he was angry at his subconscious for causing him pain,
    and I said maybe look at it as doing him a favor.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

You have that feeling like I did about your mothers hands.
    its very interesting for real, I assume it had to do with immortality
    and acceptance. He was up in the years-92
    He had a long good life.
    We all travel different yet identical rds. in so many paths and journeys.
    Im glad to hear your working for closure, its not easy.
    I know hurt and pain that loved ones can throw on us.
    Its some of the most hurtful emotions we have to experience.
    You are a true warrior I can tell though- we tell it, and let it be .
    A healing and soothing not repressed but released.

11. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi everyone, I was very interested on reading the above posts as I have just started reading Peter Levine 's book "Waking the Tiger, Healing Trauma" and have quickly scanned the exercises he recommends doing. He doesn't mention how many days each exercise should be performed. Please has anyone done these exercises if so could they give me any advice or suggestions as to if they need to be done really accurately I.e. Purchasing a pulsing shower head then showering from head to toe for at least ten minutes and slapping every part of your body saying certain messages as you do so. I am keen to try his exercises as it was trauma that triggered my TMS. Any acknowledgements, help or suggestions would be gratefully received. Thank you all as always for all the support you have given me in the past.
    Eric, I hope you have found peace now with your fathers passing, I completely empathise with you as I know how I felt when I lost my mum. It takes years if ever to accept your loss. Your faith will have helped you. God Bless.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  12. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

I have just noticed that before the showering exercise Peter Levine says to perfor this shower ritual everyday during the healing. However, I would still love to hear from anyone who has followed his program.
    Many thanks.

13. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Somatic Experiencing has helped me a lot too! I talked to a friend that is a SE therapist yesterday and that gave me a lot of hope, so I will soon start having SE sessions again. It's possible through Skype. My friend also gives sessions in London, but. I know there are a lot of good SE therapists out there. I can also warmly recommend Peter Levine's book "Freedom from pain" (co-written with an author I don't remember now).

14. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi lina82, thank you for replying to me so soon. I live in the UK in the South and cannot find any SE therapists in my area. I feel I would prefer to do this via a therapist as the exercises in the book look pretty daunting to me. I know that my body has never left the "freeze" mode as I am tense from my neck down and have been since the trauma. I have tried everything even hypnosis besides seeing a TMS therapist. Perhaps I can find someone who will work with me via Skype. The other book you recommended, would the exercises be easier to follow? Thanks for your help.

15. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Hi! I definately think you should go and se a SE therapist. One time might be enough and then you could continue by Skype. I don't think it's possible to resolve a trauma like that just by yourself, but I truly believe in the benefits of working with a therapist!

16. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi lina82, I am so pleased to tell you that I have contacted a lovely lady in London who has agreed to help me via Skype. She had a long chat with me this afternoon and knows everything about TMS. She has agreed to conduct sessions via Skype as this is quite familiar to her. The good news is I can continue with my TMS work, meditation, mindfulness and she has given me some homework to do before our first session tomorrow. She has also suggested I practice some visualisation just as Dr Howard Schubiner described. I am cautiously optimistic as she fully understood my "freeze" condition. Many thanks to you for giving me the little push I needed. Will let you know how I progress.

17. lina82

lina82 Peer Supporter

Nice to hear! Yes, let me know how you're doing! I might also have som SE sessions through Skype the upcoming weeks. Good luck!

18. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Dear Eric, Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your Dad. It sounds as though you had a good relationship with him and that is a memory to treasure . He raised a fine son who is generously helping others. May all your pain issues resolve shortly.
    Lavender

19. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

lina82 Hi there, I wanted to ask you how you found your SE sessions and the exercises Pendulation and Titraion. Did you find any increase in your pain or a spreading out of your pain at the begining? (Burning actually). I have had three sessions now and have been practising the Pendulation for about 9 days and I have found that because I am focusing on my pain more I am feeling it more! In the past I have just tried to ignore it and pushed through it but this increase is making me more frightened and anxious. I feel concerned because most of the TMS members have said they have felt a lot of benefit from SE. My therapist told me last time that this spreading out of pain was normal as that what titration does. I am confused. Please help.

20. Abbo

Abbo Well known member

Hi, I have read many of your threads and am so impressed with the way you have handled and persevered with TMS. I am replying to this thread in the hope that you can give me some reassurance regarding Somatic Experience. I have had just three sessions with a very skilled practitioner and I have been practising my exercises titration and Pendulation for about 9 days. I have found my pain (burning) appears to be spreading and also shifting around and I am getting quite frightened by it. This is quite new to me as in the past I have just pushed through the pain as in outcome independace etc but now I find to sit and accept and allow it very difficult. Please have you any advice. Many thanks