1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Smile, by Nat King Cole

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Forest, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I love music, and since I've been under an awful lot of pressure recently from the rapid growth of our programs, I've been listening to it more. It really helps me relax. I think that it is an example of the type of meditative practice that Steve Ozanich describes in this passage from the chapter on how to heal (which is really a chapter on how to live):
    Soothing activities like this help us get into a relaxed state of mind where our predominant brainwaves are of the alpha variety, signifying rest and relaxation. If you feel super relaxed and peaceful, then you are in that alpha zone.

Anyway, I love all different types of music, and this morning a Nat King Cole song came on my Pandora. It made me think, immediately, of TMS healing, and what it is like when TMS healing takes a long time. It can be a challenge to maintain outcome independence when you brain is full of anxiety and your brainwaves are zipping around at frequencies that are most definitely not in the alpha range. At the same time, it is vital to retain hope during these periods. Many many many other people have successfully completed TMS healing and you can, too.

Anyway, if you are feeling low, wondering when the symptoms will finally go away, pick up Steve's book to give you a little more hope. After all, if he can do it, so can you.

This song is dedicated to people like you. You will make it eventually.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Leonor

Leonor Peer Supporter

Hi Forest,

Great discussion yesterday with all of you and Steve Oz! I love Nat King Cole but his songs make me so melancholic. I still love his voice and melodies.
    This morning I was aching and decided to go ahead and walk, play basketball and do my weight lifting routine. I was thinking all the time that my aches are not mine, that it originates from my emotions and that I should walk and run as if I did not have pain. It helped a lot. I don't ache more now. I guess we all have to find our own way of healing...

Leonor

PD: I can't quote properly. Can you send me the email of tutorial where you showed us how to quote properly? Thank you.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Chaplin had a real big heart, as his movies and this song shows.
    "Smile through your sadness."

What a TMS mantra!

My favorite of his films is THE GOLD RUSH.
    I usually stay home on New Year's Eve and have a few friends over
    and we watch some Fred and Ginger, Laurel and Hardy, and end
    with Chaplin's silent classic just before tooting in the new year.
    It has a New Year's Eve sequence that is both funny and heart-breaking.

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I love Laurel and Hardy, especially that line where Oliver exclaims to Stan:

"Here's another nice 'kettle of fish' you've gotten us into!"

I think that where the gangsters have their feet in buckets of cement and are about to throw them over the back side of a boat. Of course, it's a comedy so Stan and Laurel do get out of it, but you always have to have something dark in the background to make comedy work.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Stan and Laurel are my favorite comedians.
    Their love for each other comes though in every movie.
    I love their short comedies best.
    My favorites are "Tit for Tat," "Laughing Gravy," "The Music Box,"
    the one where they destroy a house trying to sell a Christmas tree.

6. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Little "Laughing Gravy"! That one is amazing!

So funny it would cure Norman Cousins' RA.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm a real dog lover so no wonder that one tickles me.

If TMSers want to laugh, they need look no farther than Laurel and Hardy short comedies.
    The long ones kinda drag with love stories and songs.