1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Shop at Amazon.com and support this forum & the nonprofit behind it

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

Because it operates in the background, many people may not know of it, but there is a government recognized nonprofit that underwrites all of the activities associated with the TMS Wiki. The nonprofit is known as the PPD/TMS Peer Network, and its mission is to raise awareness of TMS and help people recover from it.

One of my biggest challenges as president of the Peer Network is to ensure that we have the funds to "keep the lights on." The Peer Network has monthly expenses to maintain its server and Fuze meeting line, as well as legal and accounting professional services and various other operating expenses such as the cost of printing the official Thank You, Dr. Sarno book.

You can now help support all of this by doing any shopping that you do at Amazon.com through a special URL that you can bookmark. The prices are exactly the same and whenever you make a purchase, a portion of your purchase will be donated by Amazon to the Peer Network.

The program is known as Amazon Smile and because the Peer Network is a 501c3 nonprofit, it is eligible to participate. AmazonSmile is completely integrated with Amazon.com and is easy to set up and use. It's a simple two step process:
    1. Click on the following link to tell Amazon that you want donations to be made to the PPD/TMS Peer Network (sponsor of the TMS Wiki):http://smile.amazon.com/ch/45-4006886
    2. Bookmark smile.amazon.com for easy future reference. Whenever you want to make a purchase at Amazon, go to smile.amazon.com instead of www.amazon.com . (AmazonSmile will remember the nonprofit you previously selected.)
    It's really that simple! If you have an account on Amazon already, you'll use it with AmazonSmile. Note, however, that if you buy things on the main Amazon site (rather than on smile.amazon.com), your purchases won't be eligible for donations.

Please join me in following the two steps above and helping to support our nonprofit. We are an extremely cost effective organization, and every little bit helps!

Sincerely,
    Forest

Alyssa5 and North Star like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

This is terrific. I buy most everything except groceries through amazon.com
    and will definitely sign up so my purchases earn credit to the PPD/TMS Peer Network.

I encourage everyone in the TMSWiki to do the same.

I often find it cheaper to buy from amazon.com sellers than anywhere else
    because of lower prices and often no tax and free delivery.

I recently bought grass seed and packing mailing tape from amazon.com sellers.
    even buy my postage stamps from an amazon.com seller. Cheaper and free delivery.

3. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

I have Amazon Prime and buy from them all the time. I just signed up to support the TMS network. Thanks for letting us know about this, Forest!

I hate that that Amazon is starting to charge taxes in several states - taxes will be applied to all Florida purchases on May 1st, so I officially have two days to get some tax-free retail therapy in!

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks forest. I shop Amazon for all of my books and you know how I love to read books. This is so cool how you got it so its a win win situation. I know any time we help the non-profit here it's a win win situation. Amazon just added icing on the cake. Thanks Pal
    Bless You

Forest likes this.
  5. Forest

Thanks so much for your support, Walt, Tigerlilly, and Eric. If we can all get in the habit of using smile.amazon.com instead of www.amazon.com, it will do a lot of good. I've been using it for a little while, just to test it out, and it's pretty much identical to the normal site.

6. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Great. Consider it done! Does this site take financial donations Forest? If so, how and where would we send money. I would gladly donate some funds as a way of showing my appreciation to this wiki site!

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'm using it regularly. I find that when I want something, I google to amazon.com and find sellers that
    compete on price for the same products and I choose the lowest price from a seller who has a high score
    in customer satisfaction. I buy all my books from amazon.com and most household appliances and
    things for around the house and yard.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Often, the sellers charge no tax and offer free delivery. Hard to beat that, plus most often lower price
    than in stores, and I same time, gas, and wear and tear on the car by buying online through amazon.com

9. chickenbone

chickenbone Well known member

I will do this also to help support our organization. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and did not know about this before!

Forest likes this.
  10. Forest

Thanks so much for your support, @nowtimecoach and @chickenbone! It means so much to know that we are supported by the community.

Yes, nowtimecoach, we do take donations. Here is our donation page:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/donate.html

Any donation, large or small, is greatly appreciated, including the forum posts that so many of you make, coming back to help others still in pain. Because we incorporated as a nonprofit and have a 501(c)(3) determination letter from the IRS, donations to us are tax-deductible to the maximum extent allowed by law. (Consult a tax professional for your particular case.)

nowtimecoach likes this.
  11. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, I too am a frequent Amazon shopper. I am delighted to use the AmazonSmile link. I just switched out my bookmark.

Yay for a painless way to support this site!

12. Forest

Thanks so much for bookmarking it, Northstar. I think a lot of people may sign up, but the hard part will be remembering to keep using it. A bookmark should help with that.

North Star likes this.
  13. debbi1955

debbi1955 Peer Supporter

Oh, I am so glad I saw this! I already bought 2 of my TMS books from Amazon. And you all won't believe how much I spend at Amazon. I may double the income. ;) I am a 'subscribe and save' member - I get groceries and cat food sent to my home on a regular basis.

When I signed up, it gave me the option of getting a button on my toolbar. It's a little yellow square with the Amazon A and the smile in it. It makes it really easy to get into the right link.

14. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

The other day I went to order something and forgot to use the amazonsmile button but as I was trying to order, Amazon gave me the choice to order it from the amazonsmile link. It was awesome!

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

debbi, getting groceries and cat food delivered is great.
    I use peapod. Is that what you use, and where are you?

16. debbi1955

debbi1955 Peer Supporter

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I use Amazon Subscribe and Save. I don't get my perishable groceries, but I do get tea, cereal, my husband's energy drinks and bars, and other things of that nature - and the cat food. They send them to me every 3 months with a 15% discount, and free shipping. And if I get too overloaded, or I can't wait until the next shipment, I can have them hold a shipment or send one in between (the ones in between are like a regular Amazon order - no discount, no free shipping unless they qualify).

I can see my Subscribe and Save in Amazon Smile, but I'm going to cancel them and set them up again while I'm in there because I'm hoping they will count for this as well as my regular Amazon stuff.

17. debbi1955

debbi1955 Peer Supporter

I learned from Amazon that my Subscribe and Save are not currently eligible for the Smile program. Bummer! But the 'currently' makes me hope they are considering it for the future. I still spend a lot there, so it's still good.

18. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks for trying. Let's hope amazon will help with this.

19. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm having some frustrations with Amazon Smile right now. It used to always ask if I wanted to keep PPD/TMS Peer Network as my charity, so I got in the habit of clicking "yes". But then at some point it changed and asks me if I want to change to another charity, so the response should be "no". If I click "yes" out of habit, I find it somewhat difficult to change it back. When searching for PPD/TMS Peer Network, I find no matches unless I put in Ppd/Tms Peer Network. It requires using lower case letters. It feels like Amazon is trying to push its favorite charities and making it hard to pick others.

Just thought I'd mention this in case others are just clicking "yes" out of habit, and may have mistakenly changed the charity they want to donate to, and are having a hard time changing it back.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

20. Hi there, I am new to this site, my question is does this apply to amazon.ca as well as I am a Canadian resident and do my shopping on .CA and not .COM?

Liana